After today's games

I agree (although Walsall were awful at their place)
Indeed due to the state of the pitches, the fact that far more teams 'play football' and the fact that 30 years ago some of the players in League 1 would have been playing in the Top Division means that League 1 is probably better than it has ever been.
League 1 seems to be of a very high standard since we came up, you only get three or four poor sides visiting each year and most pose a threat. If we’re sloppy or not up for it we generally lose

Our end of season run compromises the awful start to the season which would suggest our middle bit wasn’t play-off level!

For the record, I still have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make!!

Technically about an Oxford game... on Manc Derby BBC live reporting. Emlyn Begley

21:02
Post update

The last time Arsenal lost a top-flight match against promoted opposition by a three-goal margin was a 3-0 defeat at Oxford United on 5 May 1986.
Have I just used that fact because I am an Oxford fan? Yes, yes I have.

Technically about an Oxford game... on Manc Derby BBC live reporting. Emlyn Begley

21:02
Post update

The last time Arsenal lost a top-flight match against promoted opposition by a three-goal margin was a 3-0 defeat at Oxford United on 5 May 1986.
Have I just used that fact because I am an Oxford fan? Yes, yes I have.

And they scored a late goal, so we still hold the record. :)

Disregarding the overall quality of the league, it's been a fantastic year for EFL competitions.

There's only 4 confirmed promotion/relegations out of 16 in the Championship/League One/League 2, with two matches left to play. And that's not just between two teams at the top or bottom, there's still quite a few teams with everything to play for.

I can't remember the last time things were generally so close.

I’m surprised that there is criticism of League 1 here. I know that you’re supposed to want your team to win everything but in all honesty I rather like being a third tier side for a number of reasons.
  • We have a seven ‘new’ sides to play each season with three going up and four going down so there’s lots of varied away days. No other league has that (how many times have Arsenal and Everton played each other in the top flight?!)
  • You get a mix of big and little sides on parity. Only in League 1 is Accrington v Sunderland a genuine league fixture.
  • We have a bit more quality over League 2 sides so we can make gains in the cup competitions and enjoy the novelty of FA Cup rounds 1 and 2 where we become the ‘giant’ that non-League sides want to kill. Non-league away days are in scarce supply for Championship sides.
  • The quality is miles higher than the division below.
Whilst I would never turn down a promotion, sticking around in League 1 is no bad thing. It’s entertaining enough to keep crowds coming back and has that mix of big clubs and small fry.

But had they beat us, they would have been champions then, and would have partied I'm guessing?
It was quite funny that Radox and beano had to leave the pitch pronto due to a dusturbance from the Burton fans.

For the record, I still have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make!!

Well, if we break the season down into quarters, roughly! then games 1-11 we were in 23rd position, so not a great start! Games, 36-45 were in 4th position, great finish. Games 12-35 we’re in 10th (middle bit) meaning, it’s not quite play-off. So if we had played slightly better e.g. top 6 in the 2nd and 3rd quarters (middle bits), then we would have made the play-offs, hence my comment.

Back
Top Bottom