Away Match Day Thread +++ AFC Wimbledon v OUFC 29/9/18+++

I fear for us on Tuesday I really do. Luton score goals, we’re lucky if we score one. Hopefully it will be the final nail in KR and SD coffin.

I can’t make the game on Tuesday, but going to Southend next Saturday, and a big part of me hopes we are a club without a manager.

I fear for us on Tuesday I really do. Luton score goals, we’re lucky if we score one. Hopefully it will be the final nail in KR and SD coffin.

I can’t make the game on Tuesday, but going to Southend next Saturday, and a big part of me hopes we are a club without a manager.

Personally I'd prefer if we won rather than hoping we see the end of KR.

Luton have only scores 2(12 vs 10) more goals than us this season. However their defence has been much stronger than ours.

We really do need to see a tweak of personnel if we persist in playing the formation. Whether it be Baptiste playing in the Henry role or Brannagan playing in his natural, we looked better as a team with CM playing the 10 role, rather than an attacking player. And with respect, no one more attacking who has played the 10 role has really been that influential from the games I've seen.

Time for real points, not style points.

We really do need to see a tweak of personnel if we persist in playing the formation. Whether it be Baptiste playing in the Henry role or Brannagan playing in his natural, we looked better as a team with CM playing the 10 role, rather than an attacking player. And with respect, no one more attacking who has played the 10 role has really been that influential from the games I've seen.

Brannagan’s Interview after the game yesterday was as close to a player having a pop at a manager as I’ve heard in a long time. He repeated several times that playing further forward, making things happen around the opposition pen area and getting shots away is his natural game and what he’s always done but the gaffer prefers him to play deeper. He sounded quite frustrated I thought.

Or just change the formation?

I actually agree with you about having an extra midfielder in there, for me we need to have 3 centre mids out there, but that’s a 4-3-3, and he won’t do that.

We have a manager who said that no new manager would be able to get 65% possession stats like him, so I don’t think he is that interested in actually winning games, rather look good amongst his trendy coaching mates and journalists.

We need a manager who is interested in getting wins, until I read his interview today I was up for giving him a few more games despite his 4 wins in 20 league games, but I lost all faith in him after he quoted that ridiculous stat.

There are numerous formations that are quite basic and straight forward which could be tried.

4-3-3 isn’t rocket science. 4-4-2 diamond isn’t rocket science. 5-3-2 isn’t rocket science. Even the 3-4-3 isn’t rocket science anymore.

These are professional football players, a huge percentage of which have come from PL / Championship clubs at some point. Norman came through a then-PL academy at Norwich, Nelson was at Plymouth when they were still in the Championship, Mousinho has played there, Dickie came through a very high category Championship academy, Garbutt has spent 15 years coming through at Everton... we haven’t even got to Hanson, Brannagan, Browne, Holmes, Henry and the pedigree they all have / the levels they’ve operated at previously.

The players are capable of learning more than one formation. The problem is that they won’t be told to.

One thing I did notice yesterday (whilst watching the game), was that yet again, we needed to go behind before we saw any real visible signs of passion and fight in that team. Holmes gets put on his a**e a few times and suddenly we see him chasing everything like a mad man. Otherwise it’s all a bit flat and is it me, or do we always seem far too nice.

Where’s the fire?.

Last edited:
Brannagan’s Interview after the game yesterday was as close to a player having a pop at a manager as I’ve heard in a long time. He repeated several times that playing further forward, making things happen around the opposition pen area and getting shots away is his natural game and what he’s always done but the gaffer prefers him to play deeper. He sounded quite frustrated I thought.
I thought he sounded calm, articulate and mature with a good understanding of the game. Something the manager could consider emulating.

Let's be honest; last season we ended up saying that Mr. Clotet was a loser. But at least he had a great start to the season. If he was a loser, then Mr. Robinson is............................I don't know what. We need to do something with our defence, so I recommend we look to a bloke who manages a team in Lancashire. I reckon he might be looking for a new challenge, pretty soon. At least we can start at the back and work our way forward. No, wait; he starts at the back and stays at the back. Oh dear.

I have a concern that come January we may be in such a bad position in the league that it will be difficult to attract any decent players who wil be capable of improving the team.

There are numerous formations that are quite basic and straight forward which could be tried.

4-3-3 isn’t rocket science. 4-4-2 diamond isn’t rocket science. 5-3-2 isn’t rocket science. Even the 3-4-3 isn’t rocket science anymore.

These are professional football players, a huge percentage of which have come from PL / Championship clubs at some point. Norman came through a then-PL academy at Norwich, Nelson was at Plymouth when they were still in the Championship, Mousinho has played there, Dickie came through a very high category Championship academy, Garbutt has spent 15 years coming through at Everton... we haven’t even got to Hanson, Brannagan, Browne, Holmes, Henry and the pedigree they all have / the levels they’ve operated at previously.

The players are capable of learning more than one formation. The problem is that they won’t be told to.

Robinson does change formation. He did towards the end of the game when we were chasing it yesterday. However, he extrapolates that 10-15 minutes of 4-4-2 not generating any goals as it ‘not working’ and goes back to his favoured 4-2-3-1 for the next game.

I’m no football coach but surely you must have to practice a few drills and approaches with different formations to each player knows their role? When we went 4-4-2, I only witnessed the same pattern of passing - full back to centre back to centre back to full back to midfield and back again. It was horribly predictable.

I saw a side fearful of making mistakes, playing it safe and desperately low on confidence. There was a collective lack of responsibility and no belief in applying their skills to the system.

It was a miserable watch. Effective long ball tactics are a better watch than poor teams trying to play tika-taka.

Robinson does change formation. He did towards the end of the game when we were chasing it yesterday. However, he extrapolates that 10-15 minutes of 4-4-2 not generating any goals as it ‘not working’ and goes back to his favoured 4-2-3-1 for the next game.

I’m no football coach but surely you must have to practice a few drills and approaches with different formations to each player knows their role? When we went 4-4-2, I only witnessed the same pattern of passing - full back to centre back to centre back to full back to midfield and back again. It was horribly predictable.

I saw a side fearful of making mistakes, playing it safe and desperately low on confidence. There was a collective lack of responsibility and no belief in applying their skills to the system.

It was a miserable watch. Effective long ball tactics are a better watch than poor teams trying to play tika-taka.
Unfortunately we do not have suitable personnel to play that way.

Back
Top Bottom