General Accounts are up

We were paying over £60,000 a year to hire training facilities before having our own training ground. So whilst the training ground has cost a lot, and there will be ongoing costs, we will no longer be giving money away to others just to train. It will also become a hub for Oxford United in the Community which will help reach out to others and develop our social engagement programme. And, in time, we should have the facilities to bring the community in 7 days a week to use the pitches and club house. It will be some time before we see a profit but it will reduce the losses by giving us control over future revenue streams. It might not bring in millions, but anything that improves our finances and our standing in the community has to be a good thing.
It is not our own training ground, we are paying a lease to use it, so we are paying others to use it.
I hope it can turn a profit, but that will be a lot of hard work and organisation.

It is not our own training ground, we are paying a lease to use it, so we are paying others to use it.
I hope it can turn a profit, but that will be a lot of hard work and organisation.

Iirc, we aren't paying rent but are taking on the costs of running it with added stipulations around community usage/initiatives etc. We can then invest in the facilities. The flip of that is we can also get income by renting out the facilities which means we can meet the costs and have the possibility of profit. We have this for 23 years and as the site is owned by the Council, hopefully it is renewable.

We have taken over the management of the site under a lease arrangement but can receive income from community usage. We were paying £60k a year to hire training pitches around the county so over the 23 years of the lease we could save £1.4m in expenditure AND have the opportunity of not only receiving income, but also being part of the community. It's difficult to paint this as anything but a positive thing for the club and a sign of some long term thinking.

Also, we will have greater use of the office space meaning that daily functions that currently take place at the stadium can move to the training ground reducing costs on two sites. It also provides a hub for Oxford United in the Community which will be massive for reaching out to different groups, and help the continued growth of the academy, including better classroom facilities to build on the education of our future stars. This is literally all good news here!!

I should probably know this but how much did we pay for the lease?
My understanding is that rather than paying a lease, we have agreed to cover the costs of maintaining the facilities. We certainly don't pay an annual rent, but there may have been a nominal fee to secure the contract/lease.

We have taken over the management of the site under a lease arrangement but can receive income from community usage. We were paying £60k a year to hire training pitches around the county so over the 23 years of the lease we could save £1.4m in expenditure AND have the opportunity of not only receiving income, but also being part of the community. It's difficult to paint this as anything but a positive thing for the club and a sign of some long term thinking.
Just to say, if this facility is not run properly we (club) can lose money, hopefully the effort can be put in to make the profit happen and it comes to the club.

Just to say, if this facility is not run properly we (club) can lose money, hopefully the effort can be put in to make the profit happen and it comes to the club.
We can't lose money. The facilities will be improved for the benefit of the club. Covered pitches, better office/classroom space etc, all of which will enable the club to support the players and backroom activities.

If we then have the opportunity to bring the community in and make money from this, then great. But whatever we do will be a big improvement of what we have had before.

We can't lose money. The facilities will be improved for the benefit of the club. Covered pitches, better office/classroom space etc, all of which will enable the club to support the players and backroom activities.

If we then have the opportunity to bring the community in and make money from this, then great. But whatever we do will be a big improvement of what we have had before.
Crikey did you really say we can’t lose money on the training ground, if expenditure outstrips income we will, we still have to pay to run this venture and if you are talking about improving facilities that costs money as the owners have already found out on the project quite a lot of money, until we get the facility running at 100% capacity and after we have made the money to cover the outlay, then we hopefully should have a chance if run properly.

Crikey did you really say we can’t lose money on the training ground, if expenditure outstrips income we will, we still have to pay to run this venture and if you are talking about improving facilities that costs money as the owners have already found out on the project quite a lot of money, until we get the facility running at 100% capacity and after we have made the money to cover the outlay, then we hopefully should have a chance if run properly.

The improvements in training facilities are an investment in the playing squad. The players, first team, u23's, academy, are together for several hours, most days. They have breakfast there, then training, strength and conditioning, rehab, game analysis, media work, lunch and downtime.

All of this contributes to the physical and mental fitness and wellbeing of the players, as well as creating a team spirit and togetherness. Collectively, that has helped us go from relegation fodder at the beginning of last season when we had no training base, to promotion candidates now.

So that investment is very much worthwhile and will only get better once the pitches and facilities undergo the next round of upgrades. Of course this costs money, but the value it brings to the players and support staff far out weighs that cost.

However, if we can then use these facilities to bring in additional income through hiring pitches or the club house, holding regional finals of various age groups, sponsorship etc, then that is all additional income to the club that costs very little extra to provide.

That is why there is nothing to lose. We have a good training facility and base for the club that is likely to get even better. AND we get the opportunity to receive additional income as a bonus.

So, once again, explain how this is a bad thing?

The improvements in training facilities are an investment in the playing squad. The players, first team, u23's, academy, are together for several hours, most days. They have breakfast there, then training, strength and conditioning, rehab, game analysis, media work, lunch and downtime.

All of this contributes to the physical and mental fitness and wellbeing of the players, as well as creating a team spirit and togetherness. Collectively, that has helped us go from relegation fodder at the beginning of last season when we had no training base, to promotion candidates now.

So that investment is very much worthwhile and will only get better once the pitches and facilities undergo the next round of upgrades. Of course this costs money, but the value it brings to the players and support staff far out weighs that cost.

However, if we can then use these facilities to bring in additional income through hiring pitches or the club house, holding regional finals of various age groups, sponsorship etc, then that is all additional income to the club that costs very little extra to provide.

That is why there is nothing to lose. We have a good training facility and base for the club that is likely to get even better. AND we get the opportunity to receive additional income as a bonus.

So, once again, explain how this is a bad thing?
Yes all very nicely laid out and I can’t disagree, Being pedantic, I never said it was a bad thing but did say it could lose the club money if not run properly, but hopefully not.

Iirc, we aren't paying rent but are taking on the costs of running it with added stipulations around community usage/initiatives etc. We can then invest in the facilities. The flip of that is we can also get income by renting out the facilities which means we can meet the costs and have the possibility of profit. We have this for 23 years and as the site is owned by the Council, hopefully it is renewable.
I never mentioned rent..

Hi all

For those that don’t know me my name is Paul and I’m the Chairman of OxVox. I have just arrived back from a week away and had managed to catch up with the forum while out there. Before I left we had a meeting with Tim Davies, to discuss finances and how the club are progressing. We also had a separate meeting with Tiger and Zaki to discuss various issues, including the stadium. The update for all of that was written and added to several times as various meetings took place and it was sent to the committee to discuss and adjust, as necessary, before I left last week. The release of the club accounts have prompted a few more questions and so we are currently trying to tie up those points before it goes out to members. I realise people want answers to questions as soon as they arise but if they are to have any substance then they do take a little time to put together. I take full responsibility for when the update comes out and apologise if people are upset or think we could have acted sooner. I had to step away from OxVox work for a couple of weeks before I went away and that has set us back but some things take precedence. I would ask that people to try to remain understanding of the fact that we all have lives, businesses, work, family and other commitments that can sometimes come before the important work we do for the supporters trust.

I have seen some very well written posts and some good questions arise on this thread, but it is so easy to miss them and means we would have to monitor everything written on the forum to find them all. It would be a great help if you could also forward them to us so we can act on them. We hope to tidy up a few questions and put out the update we prepared this week. In the meantime, please feel free to contact us directly if you have any questions, we will endeavour to answer them all.

Thank you for your time and I hope everyone is well.

Paul

Thank you Paul P. I (and, I suspect, many others) look forward to any significant updates you and Oxvox can provide, particularly through this forum.

For my sanity, I am now hoping that Sky will be broadcasting Notts County v Eastleigh game this afternoon and MOTD2 will bring us all up to date on the OXON Senior league tomorrow. ?239824BE-5DA6-46A4-AD4B-52C0B1BA4970.png

Hi all

For those that don’t know me my name is Paul and I’m the Chairman of OxVox. I have just arrived back from a week away and had managed to catch up with the forum while out there. Before I left we had a meeting with Tim Davies, to discuss finances and how the club are progressing. We also had a separate meeting with Tiger and Zaki to discuss various issues, including the stadium. The update for all of that was written and added to several times as various meetings took place and it was sent to the committee to discuss and adjust, as necessary, before I left last week. The release of the club accounts have prompted a few more questions and so we are currently trying to tie up those points before it goes out to members. I realise people want answers to questions as soon as they arise but if they are to have any substance then they do take a little time to put together. I take full responsibility for when the update comes out and apologise if people are upset or think we could have acted sooner. I had to step away from OxVox work for a couple of weeks before I went away and that has set us back but some things take precedence. I would ask that people to try to remain understanding of the fact that we all have lives, businesses, work, family and other commitments that can sometimes come before the important work we do for the supporters trust.

I have seen some very well written posts and some good questions arise on this thread, but it is so easy to miss them and means we would have to monitor everything written on the forum to find them all. It would be a great help if you could also forward them to us so we can act on them. We hope to tidy up a few questions and put out the update we prepared this week. In the meantime, please feel free to contact us directly if you have any questions, we will endeavour to answer them all.

Thank you for your time and I hope everyone is well.

Paul

Good post and I think the vast majority understand it’s not a paid role but voluntary. I’d far rather substantive answers than quick ones . I’ve messaged you my questions

Back
Top Bottom