General Academy watch

Still have no idea who this next Messi in our youth team is that we're playing (or not it would seem) in defence. And for someone to call out Dan Harris, who is doing a stand up job by all accounts, and to accuse him of favouritism towards ex pros (do we even have any ex pro kids in our academy?) and mates without any evidence? Ridiculous. At youth level players change positions all the time. I played striker for a couple of years, scored an average of a goal every 2 games over two seasons, but then got moved to LB because I had pace and could use my left foot somewhat, we had two other capable strikers, and had a half decent tackle on me. I adapted, won player of the season my first year in left back. I was a KR wet dream.

At under 16 it is relatively easy to retrain players in positions because bodies are still developing and they are still learning their trade. This is assuming the player puts in the effort and doesn't give up because they aren't the star man any more. I'm not saying it's impossible for this story to be true, but given our recent record with youth players, if the lad was as good as described, and he put in 100% effort, he'd be getting the play time he wants.

Last edited:
Archie - we have had plenty of young players/family members/friends come on here over the years, bigging up 'their' boy. Some own up who they are from the off, some admit it when questioned, some deny it until the death (even though it quickly becomes pretty clear who they are).

It is always better for the player to talk to the coaching staff about why they are/aren't being selected, or played in a different position, than to come on here moaning about it - many club staff are on here, so will quickly pick up on who is being talked about and what is being said, and it doesn't go down too well if the player has not come to them in person. As posters on here, we have no idea who is being talked about, or what the issue is, so cannot necessarily offer any particular advice, whereas the coaches will be able to explain why they are doing what they are doing and what the player can gain/learn from doing so and/or what he needs to do to get back into consideration.

I remember being astounded that Ian Atkins played Dexter Blackstock at centre-back in a reserve game against Norwich, but when I spoke to him later on he explained that the idea was for him to be marking experienced striker Ieuan Roberts and to basically see from the other side what Roberts was doing throughout the game (movement, positioning, use of his body, etc) and to learn how these different things affect defenders in order to make him a better striker...

There is no real harm in coming on and saying "...the U15s did great on Saturday, two more goals for X and Y did a cracking job in defence...", many of us like hearing about how the younger players are doing, but I would advise against the "...poor display from the U16s with Z played out of position again..." style post, because what no young player needs is to get a reputation is a whinger or have friends/family shouting their mouth off questioning decisions left right and centre....

Congratulations. He has obviously had a good season with already training with the 1st team, involvement with the England set up and now this.

Congratulations. He has obviously had a good season with already training with the 1st team, involvement with the England set up and now this.
seconded - congrats Eddie

Fantastic. Well done Eddie (and the club)

Understudy to Stevens soon?

He's a second year scholar next season, but will probably play for the U23s rather than the YT, then go on the bench for Pizza games....
Sure he'll be working with Wayne Brown and Eastwood to develop in the mean time...

He's a second year scholar next season, but will probably play for the U23s rather than the YT, then go on the bench for Pizza games....
Sure he'll be working with Wayne Brown and Eastwood to develop in the mean time...

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a spell on loan somewhere next season as well.

Was wondering if it would be interesting to have a thread specifically about players in the academy and how they're progressing. Is there anymore Shandon Baptiste's or Callum O'Dowda's waiting to come through?

Does anyone have any thoughts on these players and which ones have the most potential?

Goalkeeper - Kie Plumley. I have no information on this player, hopefully he's decent. Stevens has done brilliantly to step up from the youth set-up into the first team. Future back-up instead of Easty?

Defenders
Nico Jones - Had a few league games for us years ago, haven't heard much since
Michael Elechi - Previously at Manchester United. No more information.
Yoav Sade - Young Israeli right-back

Midfielders -
Fabio Sole - 19-year-old midfielder. Had some loan spells in non-league.
Leon Chambers-Parillion - Previously of Villa and Luton.

Forwards
Kyran Lofthouse - no information
Jack Stevens - The wikipedia page for our goalkeeper and this player are confused. The forward is currently on loan at Chippenham, not the keeper!
Slavi Spasov - On loan at Woking. Rumours of getting into the Bulgarian youth-set-up. 3 league goals for Woking and praised for his work rate.
Tyler Goodrham - played some cup games for the Yellows despite only being aged 17.
Very interested to hear about what is going to happen with these guys....

The story so far:
Plumley - scholarship extended to Jan22 (as joined in Jan20) - quite well thought of it seems but main worry is Eddie Brearey coming up behind him
Brearey - will be a second year scholar this season, but highly thought of, so may well play in a lot of the U23 games (ahead of Plumley)

Jones - has a contract to Summer 22.
Elechi - had pro contract up to Jun21.....................**
Sade - ?**
Lofthouse - (great loan spell at Woking) - had pro contract up to Jun21...................**

Sole - was 3rd year scholar last season, so it is pro deal or off for him .................**
Chamber-Parillion - also 3rd year scholar last season, so again pro deal or off too....... (also worryingly disappeared completely after being on fringes of senior squad few months back) ................................**
Fabio Lopes - had pro contract up to Jun21...................**

Jack Stevens II - had scholarship extended to Jan21, but not seen any contract news since then, but I think was still around end of season, so something must have been sorted, but whether that extends beyond summer??.................**
Spasov - had pro contract up to Jun21...................**

Goodrham - given a pro deal to Summer22

BTW - other 2nd year scholars to look out for:
Clinton Nosakhare (CB), Mac Masters (DM), Elijah Coe (CM), Will Owens (W), Adam Smith (ST), James Golding (CB), Josh Anifowose (CM), Ben Watt (FB)

Very interested to hear about what is going to happen with these guys....

The story so far:
Plumley - scholarship extended to Jan22 (as joined in Jan20) - quite well thought of it seems but main worry is Eddie Brearey coming up behind him
Brearey - will be a second year scholar this season, but highly thought of, so may well play in a lot of the U23 games (ahead of Plumley)

Jones - has a contract to Summer 22.
Elechi - had pro contract up to Jun21.....................**
Sade - ?**
Lofthouse - (great loan spell at Woking) - had pro contract up to Jun21...................**

Sole - was 3rd year scholar last season, so it is pro deal or off for him .................**
Chamber-Parillion - also 3rd year scholar last season, so again pro deal or off too....... (also worryingly disappeared completely after being on fringes of senior squad few months back) ................................**
Fabio Lopes - had pro contract up to Jun21...................**

Jack Stevens II - had scholarship extended to Jan21, but not seen any contract news since then, but I think was still around end of season, so something must have been sorted, but whether that extends beyond summer??.................**
Spasov - had pro contract up to Jun21...................**

Goodrham - given a pro deal to Summer22

BTW - other 2nd year scholars to look out for:
Clinton Nosakhare (CB), Mac Masters (DM), Elijah Coe (CM), Will Owens (W), Adam Smith (ST), James Golding (CB), Josh Anifowose (CM), Ben Watt (FB)
I thought Jones' contract was until June 21 but if it is June 22 then he has another year which gives him a chance
You say Lofthouse had a great loan at Woking. He seems to have played at right back, right midfield, centre midfield in his time their. I have seen bits mentioned about him but do you know more?

I thought Jones' contract was until June 21 but if it is June 22 then he has another year which gives him a chance
You say Lofthouse had a great loan at Woking. He seems to have played at right back, right midfield, centre midfield in his time their. I have seen bits mentioned about him but do you know more?

The Woking fans' comments I've seen suggest he has been best at right back and like him but aren't sure he is ready to play above NL yet. It hasn't helped him that Woking have been a mess for a bit due to lots of injuries and the odd furlough (as requested by the player due to their other job). Although, if he is never given a chance then we'll not know if he is good enough to play in L1 for us.

The Woking fans' comments I've seen suggest he has been best at right back and like him but aren't sure he is ready to play above NL yet. It hasn't helped him that Woking have been a mess for a bit due to lots of injuries and the odd furlough (as requested by the player due to their other job). Although, if he is never given a chance then we'll not know if he is good enough to play in L1 for us.
For him to have had positive comments is very encouraging as he has been playing in a woeful side that must have been really tough not to have got downhearted . So could be the reserve right full back then .
Remember a couple of Eastleigh fans saying Atkinson wasn't all that when we signed him !

Back
Top Bottom