General Academy watch

Think this being our 3rd straight year of promotion chasing has meant we have little chance to give the young lads meaningful game time

I do also think for all of Robinson’s bluster he’s very cautious giving them a chance, it literally took Eastwood costing us a goal almost every game and looking mentally ruined for many many months for him to finally give Stevens a go

And I don’t think anyone else is really come through the youth system since Robinson has been here despite the youth team constantly performing well

Not blaming it all on Robinson at all, there are so many variables with young players, but it’s definitely disappointing to see so many get touted and nothing ever come of it
Baptiste was on loan at Hampton and Richmond when KR arrived.
Not sure how anybody can suggest that KR didn't introduce Baptiste and Stevens and played Long more than any manager up to then.

Baptiste was on loan at Hampton and Richmond when KR arrived.
Not sure how anybody can suggest that KR didn't introduce Baptiste and Stevens and played Long more than any manager up to then.
Was wrong about Baptiste

Long was 23 and had been in the first team squad for years.
Stevens was 22 and Robinson didn’t give him a chance until Eastwood had made it impossible to keep playing him

Was wrong about Baptiste

Stevens was 22 and Robinson didn’t give him a chance until Eastwood had made it impossible to keep playing him
Long has not been used except as an occasional utility player.
Stevens was number 3 keeper. He worked his way up to being number 2. He was introduced as the number 1 keeper by KR.

Plus Dickie, Brannagan, Atkinson, Moore, - young players who have developed under the current management.

It seems clear that KR wants to play young players if he can. They have to be very good though ( as Baptiste, Stevens are)
They will have to br even better if we are promoted.

Was wrong about Baptiste

Which of the youth players that have been on our books should have been given a "chance" but weren't?

G’OD should be around the first team squad for me. Failing that, he needs a loan.

Spasov is a strange one. The timescales would suggest he should be over his injury. An update would be good.

Living around Slough may be playing a part too.

I was at the game last night. We have a good crop of players coming through.

I was impressed with O'Donkor and we weren't the same once he went off with an injury. I'm beginning to wonder if he'd be a better option from the bench than Agyei?

I was at the game last night. We have a good crop of players coming through.

I was impressed with O'Donkor and we weren't the same once he went off with an injury. I'm beginning to wonder if he'd be a better option from the bench than Agyei?
mildly miffed that work got on the way of me going to CPF last night.... trust it was a decent game @GRB ? ..... G O'D is a genuine prospect from what Ive seen of him, how was young Smith ?,heard he opened the scoring, and got an assist

Last edited:
It's been strange over last few years as we've had spasov, lopes and Nico Jones all poised to break through for about three years but never getting themselves over that line into the senior squad properly.
Injuries have played a part, but it has seemed odd that all three floundered while others who were behind them have come on far more convincingly - Stevens, baptiste, elechi, lofthouse, even Johnson, goodrham watt and God.

Good point ^

If you’d have asked the question 18/24 months ago which players would make the grade, the three you listed would have been the favourites.

Goes to show that attitude along with talent takes you along way in the game.

Lopes should take note after turning down a couple of non league clubs in the summer.

mildly miffed that work got on the way of me going to CPF last night.... trust it was a decent game @GRB ? ..... G O'D is a genuine prospect from what Ive seen of him, how was young Smith ?,heard he opened the scoring, and got an assist.
It was very much men against boys, both in terms of quality and physicality and power.

O'Donkor looked very good. Smith looks a good player and so did Mac Masters who is the skipper. Ben Watt at full back also caught my eye but there were various promising players on view.

It was very much men against boys, both in terms of quality and physicality and power.

O'Donkor looked very good. Smith looks a good player and so did Mac Masters who is the skipper. Ben Watt at full back also caught my eye but there were various promising players on view.

Ben Watt signed for us after being released by Spurs (iirc) and has been involved with the younger England age group teams as well. Based on the reports from the club/team selection, they seem very positive about Ben Watt.

• React
Reactions: GRB
Ex youth teamers in the cup over the weekend for non league clubs:

Owen James sub for Stratfordj,
Jack Stevens started for Banbury
Max crocombe in goal for Grimsby
James Roberts started for Havant & W
Ty Marsh started for borehamwood

O Donkor seems to be scoring the a lot this season. I like the reference in this report about him being 'powerful'.
Obviously it is a big jump to the first team, but hopefully he kicks on and makes it into the first team.

O Donkor seems to be scoring the a lot this season. I like the reference in this report about him being 'powerful'.
Obviously it is a big jump to the first team, but hopefully he kicks on and makes it into the first team.

I know people don`t like the pizza cup but apart from being able to watch OUFC pretty much stress
free its an opportunity to check out some of the younger players, O Donkor came on in the 78th min
v Spurs U21s and looked decent enough, he looks pretty solid physically, put himself about a bit and
nearly got an assit when Agyei dragged a shot wide.
Not enough time on the pitch to say anything much apart from that but he didnt look out of place.

Watching the BT Sport Documentary South of the River and in episode 1 quite a bit on Josh Anifowose. Comes across very well and certainly overcome a lot of challenges in life

Back
Top Bottom