Ex Player A-Z Best and Worst Players (continued)

Also, we seem to have jumped straight from S to W, so for the sake of completeness:

T - Best is slightly tough because there's no absolute standouts. Les Taylor? John Trewick? Could even be Matty Taylor?
Worst, however, is a much stiffer competition with some real heavyweights of OUFC incompetence. But in the end, I think it's a straight contest between Paul Tait and Dwight Tiendalli and you can't go wrong with either of them. Well.....you would go wrong if you picked either of them, but you know what I mean

U - far as I can tell, we've never had any of these?

V - Bit before my time, but I understand that Key Veysey was pretty good?
There's not been any truly terrible Vs, so I'll go with Imre Varadi because he was formerly the Jefferson Louis of journeyman forwards, and he didn't trouble the scorers in his (short) time here.

Ken Veysey was a decent enough keeper.

Has to be Tiendalli. At least Tait could run slightly faster than walking pace!

Also, we seem to have jumped straight from S to W, so for the sake of completeness:

T - Best is slightly tough because there's no absolute standouts. Les Taylor? John Trewick? Could even be Matty Taylor?
Worst, however, is a much stiffer competition with some real heavyweights of OUFC incompetence. But in the end, I think it's a straight contest between Paul Tait and Dwight Tiendalli and you can't go wrong with either of them. Well.....you would go wrong if you picked either of them, but you know what I mean

U - far as I can tell, we've never had any of these?

V - Bit before my time, but I understand that Key Veysey was pretty good?
There's not been any truly terrible Vs, so I'll go with Imre Varadi because he was formerly the Jefferson Louis of journeyman forwards, and he didn't trouble the scorers in his (short) time here.
Oh come on! I recall Tait vaguely as being aggressive but average, while Tiendalli has to be the worst established player we’ve had in recent decades.

Lol, yes the pitch was terrible. I think it was Phil Gilchrist who scored. I might be wrong, we did have a very restricted view that night. I remember Zola’s goal being a bit of a screamer.

Yes, Gilly scored the 1st. That was a cracking night.

You are right Brum was 1998-99. We in the financial shite, sold Windass to survive and that was the start of our slide to the Conference.
I always felt Viallis cheat to win the pen in whatever year it was,was the start of the slide

Honourable mention to Keith Cassells. And Davy Sloan for the diving header against the scum.

Honourable mention to Keith Cassells. And Davy Sloan for the diving header against the scum.
Loved Cassells. Fearless. Would stick his head in where it hurts.

And he was fast will always remember his goal at brighton. Is there any footage from that season?

Oh come on! I recall Tait vaguely as being aggressive but average, while Tiendalli has to be the worst established player we’ve had in recent decades.

I think everyone is showing recency bias here. Yes, Tiendalli was absolutely, absolutely terrible. So was Jeannin.

But that 2000-01 Oxford team was genuinely, historically bad - at least defensively. They conceded 100 goals in the league that year! I believe I'm right in saying that no third tier team has done that since, and no-one had done it since 1992/93.

For all that we've seen some terrible teams and terrible players since under the likes of Rix, Talbot, Patterson & Clotet......for me, no team has come close to being the complete shambles and talentless mess that characterized that 2000-01 bunch under Kemp.

And all the defenders, and the central midfielders certainly played their part.
Paul Tait was a borderline Birmingham City hero when he came to us (though the T-Shirt incident probably helped).
By the time he'd finished his stint with us, despite only being 31, the only playing gig he could find after that was with Nea Salamis Famagusta FC!

I think everyone is showing recency bias here. Yes, Tiendalli was absolutely, absolutely terrible. So was Jeannin.

But that 2000-01 Oxford team was genuinely, historically bad - at least defensively. They conceded 100 goals in the league that year! I believe I'm right in saying that no third tier team has done that since, and no-one had done it since 1992/93.

For all that we've seen some terrible teams and terrible players since under the likes of Rix, Talbot, Patterson & Clotet......for me, no team has come close to being the complete shambles and talentless mess that characterized that 2000-01 bunch under Kemp.

And all the defenders, and the central midfielders certainly played their part.
Paul Tait was a borderline Birmingham City hero when he came to us (though the T-Shirt incident probably helped).
By the time he'd finished his stint with us, despite only being 31, the only playing gig he could find after that was with Nea Salamis Famagusta FC!
That season was the first version of championship manager I ever played and whatever I did with that squad, I never got past Christmas without being sacked!

Ken Veysey was a decent enough keeper.

Has to be Tiendalli. At least Tait could run slightly faster than walking pace!
Completely agree about Tiendalli. What I really disliked about this player was the relentless way he sold his team-mates short with his routinely under-hit passing. Ledson in particular suffered in this regard because as we well know Ledson was never one to duck a challenge however the odds were stacked against it.

K for Paul Kee. Not one of our best keepers but then to follow Judge and Hardwick couldn’t have been easy.

I don't think I can quite explain how much reading through this thread, chuckling at some of our absolute horror shows over the years, has really cheered me up this evening.

Me, weird? I reckon so...

Incidentally, the sweeper to determine who gets best / worst between Zamouri and Zebroski promises to be absolutely no fun at all.

I don't think I can quite explain how much reading through this thread, chuckling at some of our absolute horror shows over the years, has really cheered me up this evening.

Me, weird? I reckon so...

Incidentally, the sweeper to determine who gets best / worst between Zamouri and Zebroski promises to be absolutely no fun at all.
Zebroski was a pretty decent player but i reckon is a strong contender for "biggest A*****e" to play for OUFC. Utter, utter scum.

Think this is where we are at

A
Best: Aldridge (Atkinson x 3 in here too)
Worst: Anthrobus

B
Best: Beauchamp, Byrne, Briggs Brock Burton, Beavon
Worst: Brevett, Burnell, Buckley-Ricketts, W. Biggins Brown

C
Best: Cadden, Cassidy, Colin Clarke, Curran, Constable, Caton Corbo, Cassells
Worst: Carruthers, Cain, Jake Cole, Dave Collins, Capaldi (I'm putting forward Andy Campbell here too - we signed him for three months on loan and gave up playing him after one)

D
Best: Durnin, Dickie
Worst: E. Diaz, Dempster, Deegan, O'Neill Donaldson, Druce, Doudou, Donovan

E
Best: Elliott, Ceri Evans
Worst: E'Beyer, Paul Evans (knackered and unfit pro who briefly played for us in our third season in the Conference)

F
Best: B. Ford, M. Ford, Foley, Foyle
Worst: Fear, Futcher

G
Best: Jordan Graham, Gilchrist
Worst: Gabbiadini, Phil Gray, Gaston, John Grant, Gnanduillet, Guatelli, Gnohere, Grebis, Franny Green

H
Best: Hebberd, Houghton, Hamilton
Worst: Hatswell, Hoban, Hutchinson

I

Best: Ismael

Worst: Ismael

J

Best Jemson, Judge

Worst Jakubiak, Jeannin, Johnson

K

Best Kenny, Kyle.

Worst Kitson, Kee

L

Best Langan, Leworthy, Lundstram

Worst Ledgister, G Long, Lythgoe

M

Best MAgilton, Moody b McDonald Maguire, Mustoe

Worst Morgan Morris McDermott McGuckin Mike Mehmeti

N

Best Nelson, nogan

Worst Narbet, Newey

O

Best O'Dowda, Obita, Oldfield

Worst Obi, Obika, O'dowd

P

Best L Philips, Powell, Purse, J Phillips

Worst Pekalski, Pitt. Philiskirk

Q

Best B Quinn, Quartermain

Worst R Quinn

R

Best Rush, Rhodes, Rhodes-Brown, Roofe, Robinson

Worst Roach, Raynes, Reck

S

Best Saunders, Seacole, Shotton, Slatter, Shuker, Simpson, Sloan

Worst Salmon, Sall, smart, Shepherd, Slabber,Sills, Smith-Brown, Sappleton, Santos, Sangare, Sall

T

Best L Tayl, Trewick, M Taylor. M Tait

Worst P Tait, Tiendalli.

U

Best

Worst

V

Best Veysey

Worst

W

Best D Whitehead, P Whitehead, Walker, Windass

Worst Whittingham

X

Best Xemi

Worst Xemi

Y

Best

Worst

Z

Best Zebroski

Worst Zebroski

Marvellous stuff. I think van Kessel would walk into the "worst V" or, failing that, "worst K" - he was one of the worst professional footballers I've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom