Ex Player A-Z Best and Worst Players (continued)

Did you not see Philiskirk in action?
Aye, on both occasions that Wilder signed him - he was very, very bad.

But Courtney Pitt belongs in a very small circle of the truly, truly abject that have worn the yellow and blue.

Mike Salmon produced the single worst performance I've ever seen from an Oxford player - but it was only one game.
Jon Shepherd, Jamie Slabber, Tim Sills and Ashley Smith-Brown were all awful.

StokeU named most of the best, but Paul Simpson should also be on the shortlist.

Here’s that infamous Mike Salmon game.

He’s culpable for a few certainly but I can’t say that Remy, Gilchrist, Wilsterman or Robinson (or any of the midfield for that matter too) gave him much support. Our positional awareness is all over the place. Some of those goals are non-league standard.

S....Saunders, Seacole, Shotton, Slatter, Smart vs Salmon, End of

Shuker was before my time, but needs adding in the best list

Gary Smart? If so, he was alright/steady, we've had better and worse full backs. His appearances after all were in the Championship (170 league appearances). He is absolutely nowhere near the worst.

And for worse it is between Mike Salmon, Ricky Sappleton, George Santos, Djoumin Sangare, Abdou Sall or Ashley Smith-Brown.

Dean Windass for W?

No, he was too much of a cock in his final game vs QPR which completely soured my view of him. He just ran away from the ball and the opposition and it stood out how the rest of the team snubbed him; including Captain Phil Gilchrist who was visible angry with him. One chance towards the end, if he had just run towards the ball he'd have had an open goal with no opposition player near him but he stood and watched it go out of play.

The keeper Ian Walker for me as we are including loans elsewhere or Phil Whitehead.

I'll do 'P' then, so we don't forget it.

Best? Les Philips, I would have thought.
Although Alfie Potter obviously gets a mention for scoring the most important goal of the last quarter century (and a few other good ones besides)
And for a single season - Paul Powell in 99/00 was absolutely outstanding. Kept us up single-handed. Course then he did his knee, and he was pretty rubbish after that.

Worst? Well, Pekalski may have been, although it's hard to say without ever having seen him play.
But for my mind, it's Courtney Pitt. And I'd probably vote for him for every other letter of the alphabet as well.

Oh, and 'Q' - Best is Barry Quinn. Worst is Robert Quinn. Although neither was that bad/good!

Barry Quinn and best just don't go together. It jars.

Maybe he wasn't that bad but he was stonkingly average in some very poor teams which must make him bad and not average. Or something.

Clare Quilty was guilty*.

* Also, he never played for oufc as he was a character in Lolita.

No, he was too much of a cock in his final game vs QPR which completely soured my view of him. He just ran away from the ball and the opposition and it stood out how the rest of the team snubbed him; including Captain Phil Gilchrist who was visible angry with him. One chance towards the end, if he had just run towards the ball he'd have had an open goal with no opposition player near him but he stood and watched it go out of play.

The keeper Ian Walker for me as we are including loans elsewhere or Phil Whitehead.

Someone had Jemson down for J so if he is a contender so is Windass, he was class up until end. Plus we never actually bought him until we sold him, didn’t we not pay the fee to Aberdeen until we receive his transfer fee ourselves?

He’s culpable for a few certainly but I can’t say that Remy, Gilchrist, Wilsterman or Robinson (or any of the midfield for that matter too) gave him much support. Our positional awareness is all over the place. Some of those goals are non-league standard.

It's that first goal I really remember, because I used to stand on the RHS London Road, just a little to the right of the goal and it happened right in front of us - a bad cross that he should probably have caught, but failing that it was the simplest of goalkeeping skills to tip it over the bar.

Instead he gets far too much on it, and instead just palms it up in the air. I remember just being completely dumbfounded when the ball came down on their player's foot two yards out because I'd never seen a keeper make a cock-up that bad in my life before!

It's that first goal I really remember, because I used to stand on the RHS London Road, just a little to the right of the goal and it happened right in front of us - a bad cross that he should probably have caught, but failing that it was the simplest of goalkeeping skills to tip it over the bar.

Instead he gets far too much on it, and instead just palms it up in the air. I remember just being completely dumbfounded when the ball came down on their player's foot two yards out because I'd never seen a keeper make a cock-up that bad in my life before!
The beginning of the journey if I recall correctly.

Also, we seem to have jumped straight from S to W, so for the sake of completeness:

T - Best is slightly tough because there's no absolute standouts. Les Taylor? John Trewick? Could even be Matty Taylor?
Worst, however, is a much stiffer competition with some real heavyweights of OUFC incompetence. But in the end, I think it's a straight contest between Paul Tait and Dwight Tiendalli and you can't go wrong with either of them. Well.....you would go wrong if you picked either of them, but you know what I mean

U - far as I can tell, we've never had any of these?

V - Bit before my time, but I understand that Key Veysey was pretty good?
There's not been any truly terrible Vs, so I'll go with Imre Varadi because he was formerly the Jefferson Louis of journeyman forwards, and he didn't trouble the scorers in his (short) time here.

Also, we seem to have jumped straight from S to W, so for the sake of completeness:

T - Best is slightly tough because there's no absolute standouts. Les Taylor? John Trewick? Could even be Matty Taylor?
Worst, however, is a much stiffer competition with some real heavyweights of OUFC incompetence. But in the end, I think it's a straight contest between Paul Tait and Dwight Tiendalli and you can't go wrong with either of them. Well.....you would go wrong if you picked either of them, but you know what I mean

There's not been any truly terrible Vs, so I'll go with Imre Varadi because he was formerly the Jefferson Louis of journeyman forwards, and he didn't trouble the scorers in his (short) time here.
I'm not sure if Van Kessel comes under V or K but he was absolute shite.

Best Mick Tait, worst Tait Paul.

I’ve never seen it back but as I recall he just stood on his line while the defenders allowed big forwards a lot of free headers. No actual howlers

Remember watching in the London Road and he was patently not ready to play. The interesting thing was we played Brum at St Andrews 4 weeks earlier and won 1-0, Matt Murphy scoring, we should have been destroyed. Four weeks later we were. Our last season in The Championship. Ended at the Middlesborough party

Jakubiak wasn't actually terrified of the football. Jeannin was the worst paid footballer I have ever seen*.

Also, can't let this thread finish without mentioning Lee Jarman. He should never be allowed to escape any thread including 'Worst Oxford Player' in its title.

Jeannin vs. Jarman is actually an interesting contrast of styles when it comes to footballing incompetence.

I feel Jeannin had some modicum of footballing skill; he just couldn't be arsed to use it....or run....or defend....
Jarman on the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily fault his effort. He was just slow, had the turning circle of an oil tanker, and lacked any footballing ability or awareness of any sort.

Back
Top Bottom