A Wycombe fan's view

Shev

Wycombe Wanderers fan
Though absolutely gutted by the outcome Saturday (and it is the latest in an increasingly long line), I wanted to congratulate you on the win. From the times I have seen Oxford this season, I have no idea why you were ever down the bottom end - nice football to watch, and composure on the ball. Your loyalty to the manager is commendable too.

I also want to wish you well going forward with the ownership and stadium situation. There are few worse things than a club being sabotaged off the pitch by unscrupulous owners (or ex-owners).

I fully expect you to be safe now, so all the best going forward.

Though absolutely gutted by the outcome Saturday (and it is the latest in an increasingly long line), I wanted to congratulate you on the win. From the times I have seen Oxford this season, I have no idea why you were ever down the bottom end - nice football to watch, and composure on the ball. Your loyalty to the manager is commendable too.

I also want to wish you well going forward with the ownership and stadium situation. There are few worse things than a club being sabotaged off the pitch by unscrupulous owners (or ex-owners).

Appriciated @Shev

I think the main reason we were struggling for so long is to do with injuries. We've had a number of key players out injured this season and our squad has was very thin for the first half of the season.

We've now got near enough full strength team every week so this is a bonus and results are now improving.

I guess it’s sometimes about how you finish a season and thankfully we have hit some consistency at a crucial time.

I don’t get all this hatred of Wycombe by some of our fans (tin hat on). Always look forward to this game.

To be fair it does sometimes just take a moment of inspiration to win games and we got that on Saturday. Felt a draw was on the cards and it would have been a fair reflection of the game imho.

Wycombe fans were impressive in numbers and vocals so congrats on that support too.

Best of luck for the remainder of the season.. Deserve to stay up.

Fair play mate, good luck to you too

Thanks for bothering to register to say that - very gracious.

I have to say that in terms of the way your team approached the game (with the theatrics, long ball punts and time wasting), I thought your excellent support deserved better. I thought your number 5 was one of the better players on the pitch. Good luck staying up.

From what I could see I don’t see Wycombe going down. I thought they were better than most of the other teams that are at the bottom.

Must be hard watching that style of football, but it very nearly paid off.
I have no hatred of Wycombe, they are just another team as far as I am concerned.
Credit the numbers you pulled to come and see us I can’t see you getting relegated but We could do with your no5 next season!???

Is there a lot of hatred for Wycombe on here? I'm not aware of many who hold that view. It would be good if Wycombe stayed up, always a good following when they come to Oxford. There will always be the 'is it a derby' discussions of course.

My hatred on Wycombe is based on the fact that I despise Gareth Ainsworth , petty I know , but his strutting and manner really winds me up. A good friend of mine is a personal friend of GA and has worked with him on a professional basis and insists that he is a good man. I'm not having it, but thats probably me...Plus Wycombe is a dump.

From what I could see I don’t see Wycombe going down. I thought they were better than most of the other teams that are at the bottom.

The problem for them seems to be they are playing reasonable well in this run but haven't won in 10 games. Also, they can't keep a lead, as in the last 4 games when they have drawn 1 and lost 3. Add in that they are conceding goals after 80 minutes a fair bit, then it is going to take quite a turnaround or 4 worse teams.

They play Pompey and Charlton next but the saving grace is they will play 4 other teams that are currently below them (although 1 is form team Wimbledon) and somebody like Fleetwood iirc.

Last edited:
Today I went back to my last place of work (before I retired a few years ago). Many of the guys/gals there are Wycombe fans and I happily exercised my full bragging rights. Interesting that almost everyone remarked on their poor style of play. Accepting that our "attractive" style was far more entertaining than theirs and we deserved to win in extra time because of their time wasting - apparently a feature of their every match.

Nice.

I don’t think Wycombe played well or were a good team at all, they barely play any football, it’s just hoof and then press, they try to make every game a scrap. You can see why they have thrown away the most leads in the league, once you have withstood the initial barrage and figured them out they are knackered, you can just pick them off then. The players they have are not good enough or to old to play like that for 90 minutes, they have been figured out hence why they have fallen to pieces, plus I am guessing that it worked better in winter, it’s easier to out football them on a better pitch.

They are getting praise to make our dramatic win seem better, plenty of teams over the years have beaten us and been gracious, it’s easy when you have just scored a last minute winner to be kind. Personally don’t think we played that well, missed Whyte and Graham (from the start) yet we bossed the second half comfortably, the result was all that mattered though.

They might stay up as it’s silly tight but could easily go down with so little quality in their team, they would need big changes to stay up next season if they do this one though.

Back
Top Bottom