National News A Question of Sport

One things for sure though the BBC’s flagship comedy these days Mrs Browns boys is utter s**t. The second series of Extras was like a parody in advance of what was to come but was funny unlike Mrs Browns boys. Even Gavin and Stacey was considered offensive by some at Christmas which nobody complained about 10 years ago.
TBH you could play the test card and some people would find *something* to be offended about!
Mrs Browns Boys isn't my cup of tea (to say the least) but humour is pretty subjective and one man's meat is another man's poison. Or one woman's vegan burger is another person's allergy, or whatever... ;)

Sadly I suspect some would actively seek to subscribe to a channel that showed all that rubbish.

(PS you forgot 'The Black & White Minstrel Show' and 'The KKK Happy Hour' ;) )

To be fair it show`s how society has evolved/improved in a nutshell.
Mrs Brown`s Boy`s is shite(y)

It's a good job none of us listens to, say, football commentaries on BBC Radio Oxford then. Or like to get our news from a source that is not owned by a media magnate with political leanings. Or watch stuff on BBC iPlayer. Or listen to new music on BBC 6Music, watch interesting documentaries on BBC4 etc etc.
The BBC does much more than cater to the mass middle market and we would miss it if it went.
Plus it’s free.

QoS is being axed by the BBC.

Can’t say I’m surprised, someone at the Beeb decided it needed a revamp and completely dumbed it down by bringing in Paddy McGuinness, Sam Quek and Ugo Moyne. There was no chemistry between them and McGuinness is IMO a terrible presenter. It seemed as if they wanted to try and replicate League of their own, if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.

Sad to see. Someone got very well paid to make a really poor decision too.
Apparently audience numbers dropped off a cliff after the changes were made, below one million last year, having regularly hit four to five million when hosted by Sue Barker, and team captain’s Matt Dawson & Phil Tuffnell.

It was a show which older people enjoyed, they tried to bring in a younger audience but failed while also alienating the original audience.
A classic example of change for change sake going tits up.

Surprise, surprise. Alienate your core audience and viewing/listening figures plummet.

Ken Bruce’s programme on Greatest Hits Radio has gone from 800,000 listeners to 3.7 million. BBC’s loss. Greatest Hits gain.

s**t programmes can’t go on for ever, it was on when I was a kid! No reason why they couldn’t do a better sports quiz format

"Cost saving"
"Difficult decision to make"

Well here is a rather large pile of savings that could be made........I reckon Huw is the only one I wouldn`t cull.
1702726288175.png

How much are ITV ‘talent’ paid? People can guess but they don’t make it public.

How much are Sky, Channel 4/5 etc talent paid? Again, conjecture but they don’t have to make it public either.

A crafty little gig to undermine the BBC from the Tories was that move to reveal their salaries. What may be the going rate for presenters regardless for which network they’re attached to is what the BBC have to pay to stay competitive. If the BBC have to pay less and start broadcasting inferior programmes resulting in fewer viewers, that’ll be the end of the national broadcaster. Take a look at ITV most evenings. If that’s what’s on offer I’ll rather not watch TV. Be careful what you wish for.

What the salary reveal didn’t do was reveal what the middle management types with stupid job titles such as Director of Speech Output are trousering. Sure, Lineker et al are on a fair bunce but there will be other non-‘slebs within the Beeb taking home more than they should be.

As for QoS, a cursory lesson there for the BBC. Respect your audience and realise that you don’t need to shake up everything. It was non-essential TV anyway - a little time killer to watch whilst you waited for something better.

Back
Top Bottom