A New World Class Community Stadium For The U’s

We’ve been sold this story time and time again. nothing’s concrete until I see the ribbon getting cut and opening our new stadium but knowing the council they will try everything in there power to make our clubs progress difficult if we couldn’t get a shop in the covered market a few years ago what chance have we go with a multi million pound stadium

We’ve been sold this story time and time again. nothing’s concrete until I see the ribbon getting cut and opening our new stadium but knowing the council they will try everything in there power to make our clubs progress difficult if we couldn’t get a shop in the covered market a few years ago what chance have we go with a multi million pound stadium

I'm pretty sure that big bit of housing land the Kassam is on will be a little sweetener for the council, Kassam will lap it up also.

The difference this time will be working with the local authorities, not in spite of them. Looking to build something of value to the community. Something that ties in with the predicted development of housing, employment etc. There are green belt sites already highlighted as suitable for development to fulfil housing needs. Those new estates will need infrastructure with shops, entertainment, doctors, dentists and community accessible sports facilities. With a large developer with ready finance already on site willing to take on such a development and experienced in this kind of project, any local authority will be more inclined to agree with a stadium as part of the project.

The key point that NMW makes is that probably for the first time ever we have people at the club with the money and expertise to make a new stadium a reality.

When you are looking at naming rights, loans, grants, shared ownership, council funding etc, these all complicate the process. SD and the WE project had several parts that all needed to come together to make it viable. Potentially, we now have people on board who can fund the whole thing whilst employing those who have many similar projects under their belt.

Councils, land owners, and all the others with vested interest are far more likely to be swayed by a competent and confident team behind this project, especially if they have the cash to back it up.

From conception to finishing I`ll go with decades....
Maybe you can give an example of a project that has taken 10/20 years or more to complete?

These projects are by no means simple, but I'd guess that realistically we would be looking at around 5 years from now until we are playing in a new stadium if that is the plan, and even that could be reduced with local authorities being on side.

I'd like to see local government come out in public support of a 'county/city facility'.

The board will be pissing in the wind without it.
Ian Hudspeth leader of ox county council (regular at oufc games too) was on rad ox this morning on the subject...supportive he was too

Maybe you can give an example of a project that has taken 10/20 years or more to complete?

These projects are by no means simple, but I'd guess that realistically we would be looking at around 5 years from now until we are playing in a new stadium if that is the plan, and even that could be reduced with local authorities being on side.

In context.... our move from the Manor.
The other reality is nobody wants a football ground as a neighbour, so that leaves a scenario like Colchester, green field middle of nowhere with park & ride etc. fully supported by the council it started in 1976 and was finished and in use in 2008...... 32 years....

I don’t just go on articles. People often question tigers motives, one things for sure Niall is 100% working in the best interests of oufc
Indeed - I'm not questioning tigers motives, or anyone on the boards for that matter; my original post was on my frustration on what I regard is a pointless OM article - just clickbait for us fans.
Hey ho - it's the off-season so now is the time for fluff-filled OM articles (we had a good thread making up spoof OM fluff articles last post season - let's resurrect it!)

In context.... our move from the Manor.
The other reality is nobody wants a football ground as a neighbour, so that leaves a scenario like Colchester, green field middle of nowhere with park & ride etc. fully supported by the council it started in 1976 and was finished and in use in 2008...... 32 years....

Firstly the move from the Manor was hit by financial issues, something that would appear less likely with our lot.

The Colchester situation wasn't one I knew anything about but a quick Google suggests that many sites were discussed over a 30 year period, but without any real intent. There doesn't appear to be anything within that project that resembles anything to do with our current position.

For over a year, people have been demanding a plan from the club. Today, we have seen that with the kit launch, promotion and success on the pitch is a very real target. With this report we can also see the determination to have a stadium we can call our own. From day one, the make up of the board has been towards developing the Kassam or building a new stadium. This only confirms that this is still very much the intent, with reasons why a new build would be better long term, but recognising that this will be a long and difficult process.

So, the plan that everyone is so desperate for is;

• Success on the pitch
  • Owning our own stadium with community usage and addition revenue streams
  • Invest in youth development
  • Introduce u23's to bridge gap to first team
  • Develop training facilities
  • Return to successful business model of buying young talent and developing into potential saleable assets
The first two have been spoken of today, and those saying that action speaks louder than words, we can only possibly wait and see. The bottom 4 are all in place and continue to be supported.

Honestly, what more do some of our fans want?
All points apart from point 2 are standard and are ready in progress.
On point 2, how are the people putting the money up going to recoup their investment and more? Community asset is a great soundbite to try and get sway with the council but I can’t see any businessmen chucking money at something without a return, SD being a prime example.

On point 2, how are the people putting the money up going to recoup their investment and more? Community asset is a great soundbite to try and get sway with the council but I can’t see any businessmen chucking money at something without a return, SD being a prime example.
We dont know. But Tohir I believe has built stadiums elsewhere so has experience.
Because we dint know doesn't mean that there could be a solution.
At a guess, leisure facilities round any new stadium.would be where the profit will be made.
Oxvox has discussions with the Council about the community ownership potential. I am not sure how, but assume that the Council contribute in return for community use of the Stadium / educational facilities etc.
I may be wrong bit assume that there are lots of innovative thoughts in regard to the funding.
Presumably if it is a World Class stadium the plan will be to use it for other events generating other income.
NM mentions MK Don's stadium. I wonder how this was funded (the model sounds sensible?)

From conception to finishing I`ll go with decades....
I agree with NM that there will never be a better chance.
The planning rules appear to have been made a lot easier on the back of the requirement to build a large number of houses (and associated leisure facilities)
So I suspect that the time taken has come down although the opportunity may only be there short term.

A hotel complex on site or within the stadium build will give massive returns. Shops, food outlets, leisure facilities will do the same. Conference centre, music venue, other sporting events, all bringing money in.

Funding Oxford United currently costs between £2-3m a year, a big chunk of which goes on rent and service charges without any returns beyond ticket sales. A new build, with additional revenue going directly to the holding business could generate upwards of £5m a year (but probably far higher).

Oxford United get the same funding but can reinvest match day revenue and hopefully have increased crowds, possible get promotion, increased sponsorship, stadium naming rights etc.

Investors make money off all the other businesses, with a base in the UK to sell a product to the increasingly growing far east economy.

Community get a new stadium that can be used for various other events, shared sports access, links to the universities etc.

Hardly rocket science my friend!

Positive: focus on a new stadium and clear determination in his words.

Articulation of a strategy from the club

Concern: cynic in me notes it’s the same week as a meeting with Kassam on getting a better deal

The use of the word county rather than city. Our catchment is oxfordshire but our spiritual home is the city of oxford. We protested hard at a move to didcot in the 1980s. I’d be very worried if that was truly the plan to hit bicester didcot etc

So............ where are the mythical 5 sites that fit in with the FL rules, aren`t ridiculously expensive to acquire,aren`t greenbelt/floodplain, are supported by the local and/or county council?
Just being realistic.... bit of land behind North Oxford garage/Pear Tree? Oxford City some kind of ground share? Barton Fields?

So............ where are the mythical 5 sites that fit in with the FL rules, aren`t ridiculously expensive to acquire,aren`t greenbelt/floodplain, are supported by the local and/or county council?
Just being realistic.... bit of land behind North Oxford garage/Pear Tree? Oxford City some kind of ground share? Barton Fields?
Cutteslowe park? Buryknowle park? ..kidlington area? ....who knows?

A hotel complex on site or within the stadium build will give massive returns. Shops, food outlets, leisure facilities will do the same. Conference centre, music venue, other sporting events, all bringing money in.

Funding Oxford United currently costs between £2-3m a year, a big chunk of which goes on rent and service charges without any returns beyond ticket sales. A new build, with additional revenue going directly to the holding business could generate upwards of £5m a year (but probably far higher).

Oxford United get the same funding but can reinvest match day revenue and hopefully have increased crowds, possible get promotion, increased sponsorship, stadium naming rights etc.

Investors make money off all the other businesses, with a base in the UK to sell a product to the increasingly growing far east economy.

Community get a new stadium that can be used for various other events, shared sports access, links to the universities etc.

Hardly rocket science my friend!
Nice summary, I wonder what the reality will be, I think tiger put £4m+ in this year so an odd million or so difference doesn’t mean anything but suits what you put, it will take £5m to get out of this league with no return, how much to stay in the championship £30m with little return, chuck in a nice new stadium and surrounding retail outlets say another £70m-£100m, yes the plan is clear as day and those nice Business men will supply us with a stadium FOC, great news that?

Back
Top Bottom