A fiver to watch a home match

• Thread starter Deleted member 808
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 808

Would it benefit the club, if let’s say two or three games a season at home when we play against lesser supporting away sides,ie Fleetwood, Bury etc where ticket prices are reduced to £5 for non season ticket holders whether they are young or old?

Would it benefit the club, if let’s say two or three games a season at home when we play against lesser supporting away sides,ie Fleetwood, Bury etc where ticket prices are reduced to £5 for non season ticket holders whether they are young or old?

Great idea that @Trainingcone , Id like to think OUFC would embrace and utilise an idea along those lines.
The administrators of OUFC may claim they already do something similar with ruduced entry to the Shaun Harvey Boycott, Checkatrade thingy ( early in the unfavoured by many fans and supporters competition)
Lets not forget, ST and Matchday tickets were substantially hiked at the start of this season, I doubt if ther will be any downward redress of that situation for next season.

We do, of course, live in hope, and who knows what stance the incoming new owner/chairman may have regarding match tickets?

Doesn’t quiet work like that though, as season ticket holders have already paid.

So more a case of additional 6k x £5 = £30k
Or
0 x matchday price = £0

Season ticket holders would be a bit peed off if casual supporters could watch games for a fiver.

I wouldn’t be to bothered, we have to attract fans in some how. And certainly wouldn’t have an issue in making it a lot cheaper for kids. I’d rather see a full stadium, and be able to attract a few of those to come back.

I wouldn’t be to bothered, we have to attract fans in some how. And certainly wouldn’t have an issue in making it a lot cheaper for kids. I’d rather see a full stadium, and be able to attract a few of those to come back.
Agree a lot football fans in Oxford are going to support MK Mongs because they do things regularly like 2 tickets for £10 and advertising it in papers around oxford. If the fans forum is on next week maybe something should be discussed or suggested.

I have a hunch that the new manager could be announced tomorrow so that should sell tickets for Fleetwood.

If we get safe early then their will be a few dead rubber home games, one of those would be perfect for a reduced prices game. Need to actually publicise it though.

Still think this is worth a look at (without knowing the income from season ticket sales)

Adult season ticket in All Stands £150

Kids up to 17 years and Oap's £50

Matchday price Adults £12 Kids £5

The rise in season/matchday prices in the summer was so that Eales didn’t have to fund the club that he was selling, so hopefully Tiger will take a look at that.

Doesn’t quiet work like that though, as season ticket holders have already paid.

Or
0 x matchday price = £0

There is no way an extra 6,000 people would come in.
An extra 1,000 at the very most.

Or
0 x matchday price = £0

There is no way an extra 6,000 people would come in.
An extra 1,000 at the very most.

I only used the 6k as it’s was in relation to the post about having 12k at one rate.

We are already getting around 6k, so was referring to the hypothetical other 6k given in the example

I agree it wouldn’t be as high in reality, especially if it didn’t include a very good marketing campaign. But even 1k extra fans in a game that’s going to be a low attendance, is a boost to the atmosphere, an additional source of income that wouldn’t have been there. And a chance to attract some back, even if u only get 1% regularly and say 5% coming to 1/2 more games than they would have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only used the 6k as it’s was in relation to the post about having 12k at one rate.

We are already getting around 6k.

I agree it wouldn’t be as high in reality, especially if it didn’t include a very good marketing campaign. But even 1k extra fans in a game that’s going to be a low attendance, is a boost to the atmosphere, an additional source of income that wouldn’t have been there. And a chance to attract some back, even if u only get 1% regularly and say 5% coming to 1/2 more games than they would have.

We sold around 4,800 season tickets and have an average home crowd of just over 6,600 this season. So that’s roughly 1,800 fans that pay full price for their tickets on match days. If we increased that by 1,000 to 2,800 it wouldn’t be financially worthwhile because 1,800 full price tickets would generate more income than 2,800 £5 tickets. We would have to rely on future fan retention to make it worthwhile. It’s a gamble, but one worth taking a few times a year, especially as our average home attendance has fallen quite sharply this season (over 800 less home fans this season compared to last).

Hopefully Tiger implements a new pricing structure next season, with more attractive prices for both season ticket holders and those who prefer to pay by the game.

Charlton attracted an extra 6,000 with their £5 promotion and Notts County recently attracted an extra 12,000 with their cheap ticket deal. Coventry did a deal recently and had an extra 20,000 or so at their game against Accrington!

So it can be done, but it needs doing properly. One of the popular ideas put forward on here is to pick a crap game and do the promotion for that. Far better to pick a decent game, with a decent away following, so that it's a better "event" for the people attracted along, so that there's far more chance of them coming back.

Also, sort out the catering etc so that the whole experience is better, particularly for kids.

We are already getting around 6k.

We sold around 4,800 season tickets and have an average home crowd of just over 6,600 this season. So that’s roughly 1,800 fans that pay full price for their tickets on match days. If we increased that by 1,000 to 2,800 it wouldn’t be financially worthwhile because 1,800 full price tickets would generate more income than 2,800 £5 tickets. We would have to rely on future fan retention to make it worthwhile. It’s a gamble, but one worth taking a few times a year, especially as our average home attendance has fallen quite sharply this season (over 800 less home fans this season compared to last).

Hopefully Tiger implements a new pricing structure next season, with more attractive prices for both season ticket holders and those who prefer to pay by the game.

That’s true, but most of those on the day 1800 floating fans come to the bigger games, pick a game that’s going to be a poor turn out and it evens it out, as they probably wouldn’t be coming anyway.

There are also other ways like buy 2 games gets £x off and cheap tickets for kids, but u still get the money from adults taking them, that sound good deals and attract people in but don’t cost the club as much as £5 per ticket all round.

The bottom line is though doing something is worth while, all businesses are offering incentives to get new customers in the door, raising prices for those already there is just the easy lazy option

If we get safe early then their will be a few dead rubber home games, one of those would be perfect for a reduced prices game. Need to actually publicise it though.
You'd think we'd been playing dead rubber home games all season.

That’s true, but most of those on the day 1800 floating fans come to the bigger games, pick a game that’s going to be a poor turn out and it evens it out, as they probably wouldn’t be coming anyway.

There are also other ways like buy 2 games gets £x off and cheap tickets for kids, but u still get the money from adults taking them, that sound good deals and attract people in but don’t cost the club as much as £5 per ticket all round.

The bottom line is though doing something is worth while, all businesses are offering incentives to get new customers in the door, raising prices for those already there is just the easy lazy option

Yeah, fair enough. I think we can all agree that there are a number of options worth exploring and we won't truly know how beneficial they are without trying them first (at least once). It's just a bit frustrating because if feels like we've stagnated as a club in certain ways; this being one of them.

I actually made a thread when we first transferred over recording all our home attendances. Have a look if you're interested to see how we've performed game-by-game. It's all a bit disappointing really.

https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/2017-18-home-attendances.82/

Or
0 x matchday price = £0

What evidence do you have that an additional 6k of support will turn up for a Fleetwood game.

You’re in dreamland. Sorry

Perhaps Scunthorpe match may be the opportunity. Live on TV, Good Friday, 12.00pm KO, a few fans may give it a miss if having to pay full price.

Back
Top Bottom