A big thank you to KR and Tiger

Shaun Rice

I hope you’re reading this Karl and Tiger. I know some of the players do read the forum so please feel free to direct them to this post.

I would like to offer my thanks to Karl and Tiger. I have been an Oxford United fan since I was 9 years old. I was so small I remember having to stand on tip toe to see over the wall of the London Road. My father has been a fan since the 60’s and still drags his aging bones to get to games home and away. My son has been coming to football with me since he was 5 and he’s now nearly 17. With my wife in the early stages of labour I left her at the hospital to watch us draw 1-1 at home to Northampton.
I love OUFC not just for the football and excitement of the game but for the family to come together. To stand with faces and friends I only ever see at football.
What is all this about? Well my son just told me, even though he has a season ticket, he’s not coming on Tuesday (Luton). His own words “I don’t even care if we win or lose I just want us to play well”.

I can’t say I blame him. It’ll be an effort to get myself there.

So, Thank you, for promising an exciting competitive season and delivering a dull, boring and inept side that I can hardly stand to watch.

What you don't understand is we totally outplayed them, as we have done to every team we have played so far, according to the Manager, or is he seeing something we are not.
Even in the conference there was hope, excitement, a reason to believe, but Now?
We've had some poor managers but this guy makes Rix look decent.

People have very short memories - we are league one. A few seasons ago we were struggling in the conference - people need to show some perspective. So the people who are struggling to get there Tuesday where happy to go last week against Man City?

Well don't go then - the team is struggling. They need support now; nothing else will do at the moment

I hope you’re reading this Karl and Tiger. I know some of the players do read the forum so please feel free to direct them to this post.

I would like to offer my thanks to Karl and Tiger. I have been an Oxford United fan since I was 9 years old. I was so small I remember having to stand on tip toe to see over the wall of the London Road. My father has been a fan since the 60’s and still drags his aging bones to get to games home and away. My son has been coming to football with me since he was 5 and he’s now nearly 17. With my wife in the early stages of labour I left her at the hospital to watch us draw 1-1 at home to Northampton.
I love OUFC not just for the football and excitement of the game but for the family to come together. To stand with faces and friends I only ever see at football.
What is all this about? Well my son just told me, even though he has a season ticket, he’s not coming on Tuesday (Luton). His own words “I don’t even care if we win or lose I just want us to play well”.

I can’t say I blame him. It’ll be an effort to get myself there.

So, Thank you, for promising an exciting competitive season and delivering a dull, boring and inept side that I can hardly stand to watch.

Get a grip mate. If you don't want to go then don't, if you do get behind the team.

Everyone thinks they're a martyr these days.

People have very short memories - we are league one. A few seasons ago we were struggling in the conference - people need to show some perspective. So the people who are struggling to get there Tuesday where happy to go last week against Man City?

Well don't go then - the team is struggling. They need support now; nothing else will do at the moment

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that although we are in a league that is title EFL 1, we are in fact in the third level of the old football league structure, with a distinct possibility of dropping into the fourth level. We hear every day about the cost of living and how people are struggling and the fact that going to watch a team struggling in the third tier of English football is not cheap and in some cases bloody expensive, it’s not unreasonable to expect a win now and again. There are many other ways people can spend their income on and in the case of OUFC, they are not at the moment giving fans the encouragement to watch them, as they lose most weeks. The Man City game is a once in a generation opportunity and the fact that the club sold out for this game means they added much needed fund to the coffers. I have a season ticket so have paid up front, if I did not have one I to may have thought twice about Tuesdays game as KR has told us the players hate playing at the Kassam, not a great marketing ploy.

The last two reponses actually amaze me.....

So the fact that we are in League One now rather than where we have been means we should just accept being crap?

I’m sorry but that’s rubbish.

We might be in League One at the moment but with the current set we won’t be next season, there’s no chance of that happening at all, we will be relegated without a doubt.

I hate to say that as I clearly want us to stay up but the manager doesn’t seem to believe there is a problem other than up front.
He thinks that signing a striker will miraculously see us shoot up the table....it won’t.

I still cling on to the hope that KR is going to get a good striker or two (early!) in Jan, that he will learn from his huuge errors this year, we will shoot up the table in Jan - and be a force next season (but it is the hope that kills you)

I find it quite sad that when longstanding fans reach a nadir and express their frustration publicly, they get harangued and rather unpleasantly cast as 'martyrs'.

I'm sure most fans on here have been through both good and bad times with OUFC - 48 years worth in my case - and these fans have the right to share their feelings with current fellow sufferers.

@Shaun Rice has every right to feel disappointed at the moment, and if his son - one of the younger generation we will rely on - is so disillusioned that he won't make Tuesday's game that should illicit concern from the Robinson / Tiger cabal, rather than disdain from us.

Things are not improving. We need some sort of change. I will NEVER support booing our team, but if just 5,000 home fans versus Luton helps the penny drop, it can only be a good thing.
Spot on Pete. It is, or should be, hugely concerning when the next generation of support fail to be motivated to attend a match.
When, as a young man, I got the bus from Woodstock into town, met up with fellow supporters and made the walk up the hill, it was to be swept up in all the excitement and exhilaration of winning. Yes, we lost a few and yes, that was disappointing but, we had the expectation of a win around the corner.
Now, as a season ticket, I have paid up front, not going would just be throwing away money so, I go but, I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much.
If the future support fails to materialise, it won't matter if we win or not, there won't be a club.

The last two reponses actually amaze me.....

So the fact that we are in League One now rather than where we have been means we should just accept being crap?

I’m sorry but that’s rubbish.

We might be in League One at the moment but with the current set we won’t be next season, there’s no chance of that happening at all, we will be relegated without a doubt.

I hate to say that as I clearly want us to stay up but the manager doesn’t seem to believe there is a problem other than up front.
He thinks that signing a striker will miraculously see us shoot up the table....it won’t.

I never said that - it it goes wrong we are still in the League - if it went wrong in the conference, we may have not ha d a club at all. We should never accept our players giving less then 100%, but to stop supporting them is frankly ridiculous

Only thing I find a little odd is how OP loves the fact that football brings family together, yet he left his wife in early stages of labour to watch a meaningless end of season match against Northampton.... admire the commitment to OUFC and all that, but not sure that would bring many families together!! :)

I will probably go, sit and watch it without really saying much, and then leave with ten minutes left when we’re 2-0 down to be out on the ring road by the time the consolation goes in. That seems to be my usual routine.

Come to think of it... I have no idea when the last time I actually saw us score was. I genuinely cannot remember. Left before the goals v Walsall and Coventry, didn’t do Sunderland or Portsmouth away, Wycombe was 0-0, couldn’t be bothered with yesterday... I really don’t know. Burton?!

Last edited:
I wonder when some people will actually think there is a problem. When we suddenly realise we have to win 9 of our last 15 games to stay up maybe..?

I find it quite sad that when longstanding fans reach a nadir and express their frustration publicly, they get harangued and rather unpleasantly cast as 'martyrs' or 'drama queens'.

I'm sure most fans on here have been through both good and bad times with OUFC - 48 years worth in my case - and these fans have the right to share their feelings with current fellow sufferers.

@Shaun Rice has every right to feel disappointed at the moment, and if his son - one of the younger generation we will rely on - is so disillusioned that he won't make Tuesday's game that should illicit concern from the Robinson / Tiger cabal, rather than disdain from us.

Things are not improving. We need some sort of change. I will NEVER support booing our team, but if just 5,000 home fans versus Luton helps the penny drop, it can only be a good thing.
Surely 'Drama Queens' are the ones saying they can't stand it anymore, and 'Martyrs' are the once stoicly carrying on going to every game regardLees of result - two totally different animals

I'll be there, but I'm expecting the same outcome. Yet another defeat.
Robinson will probably pull some crazy idea out of the hat.... Shearer up front?
After the game we will hear him tell us we had more possession than Man City (we played Lootun), the grass was too long, the pitch was too wide and the magical fairies at the training ground had caught the clap.

The OP has been called both by posters on this thread. Personally, I don't think either are accurate descriptions.
Especially since the OP has said he'll be going on Tuesday and was just relaying the thoughts of his son!

Bit of a drama queen post, we’re not that bad to watch and in general are playing better than our results. Best not come if you can’t handle frustration and disappointment though!

Playing better than results?!

Firstly don’t talk rubbish.
That might ring true for one game but if you think that’s true over the number we have played then you are as deluded as Robinson

Secondly, isn’t that exactly what most relegated teams believe to be true?

Essentially what you are saying is if we keep playing how we are things will come good and we will be fine, I don’t buy that at all

Playing better than results?!

Firstly don’t talk rubbish.
That might ring true for one game but if you think that’s true over the number we have played then you are as deluded as Robinson

Secondly, isn’t that exactly what most relegated teams believe to be true?

Essentially what you are saying is if we keep playing how we are things will come good and we will be fine, I don’t buy that at all
NO, I’m not saying that, I agree that we are playing just like a team that gets relegated - not looking too bad a lot of the time, bit unlucky, just can’t score. But to make out it’s some sort of all time low is ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom