Home Match Build Up 9/5/2021 L1 OUFC v Burton Albion

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Staff member
So last game of the season with a chance of being in the play-offs. Definitely a must win game, but even then we are hoping that Pompey or Blackpool mess things up big time.. Still seventh place makes this a good season for me.

A great season from a general perspective, but looking at performances throughout the season and also our pre-record breaking run of form it has been pretty dire more often than not.

Still, our position speaks for itself and it would be great to crown the season with a play-off place... Odd that last season we were all thinking "next season we'll be able to watch the play offs if we get there" and that still hasn't happened.

I think we'll make it in at Portsmouth's expense.

There’s still two games of significance midweek ahead the final game that may have some bearing on what we have to do and maybe even by how many goals.

Blackpool v Doncaster
Charlton v Lincoln

A Doncaster win would make sure that it wasn’t just the Pompey result that we need to cross our fingers on. Blackpool look relatively safe in the playoffs and have a +3 goal difference on us at present however a 2-0 or 3-0 defeat and it gets a bit tighter. I don’t think we will be wanting to rely on relegated and beleaguered Bristol Rovers to do us any favours on the last day against them but you never know ...

A Lincoln win would extinguish all Charlton hopes. It would then be a straight battle between us, Pompey and Blackpool.

Blackpool will beat Donny and Lincoln will draw at Charlton. Simple then on Sunday it is either us or Pompey.

I will have everything crossed for the perfect set of results on Sunday but I think we will just come up short with both us and Pompey winning either way at least we’ve got something to play for on the last day and not just a end of season game

There’s still two games of significance midweek ahead the final game that may have some bearing on what we have to do and maybe even by how many goals.

Blackpool v Doncaster
Charlton v Lincoln

A Doncaster win would make sure that it wasn’t just the Pompey result that we need to cross our fingers on. Blackpool look relatively safe in the playoffs and have a +3 goal difference on us at present however a 2-0 or 3-0 defeat and it gets a bit tighter. I don’t think we will be wanting to rely on relegated and beleaguered Bristol Rovers to do us any favours on the last day against them but you never know ...

A Lincoln win would extinguish all Charlton hopes. It would then be a straight battle between us, Pompey and Blackpool.
Although very, very unlikely a Doncaster win this week would be great and mean KR could look to his mate at Bristol Rovers to do us a favour. Stranger things have happened

However if we just ensure we win on Sunday and hope Accrington get a draw or win at Pomey.

Can't get past the feeling that Accy will roll over and have their tummies tickled at the weekend and it's all the same what we do. I think we won't be in the playoff places for a single second on Sunday.
Hope not, of course.

Blackpool look relatively safe in the playoffs and have a +3 goal difference on us at present however a 2-0 or 3-0 defeat and it gets a bit tighter.
The only way we’ll finish above Blackpool is with them losing both games and us winning. Even with one goal margins in all three games, that would be sufficient for us to finish above them, as our goals scored tally is much higher than theirs. So a Doncaster win would be a bonus, but it’s a real long shot to hope Bristol Rovers win at Blackpool, if Blackpool need a result. I’d almost rather Charlton fail to beat Lincoln on Tuesday than Doncaster win - MApp could well rest players ahead of the playoffs and their heads could be down after that travesty at Peterborough. A big win for Charlton and they could get back into the equation for the last game of the season, and overtake us even if we win and Pompey slip up.

Can't get past the feeling that Accy will roll over and have their tummies tickled at the weekend and it's all the same what we do. I think we won't be in the playoff places for a single second on Sunday.
Hope not, of course.
I don't think John Coleman's in the habit of 'rolling over' and neither is his team!

I think Accy will want Portsmouth to stay down as they (probably correctly) see them as a bigger money spinner than us for next season. Very happy if their performance reflects that view. Also, they have some very good players and Saturday is their last appearance in the shop window this season. In the words of Chippy, I reckon they'll give it a real go.

I think Accy will want Portsmouth to stay down as they (probably correctly) see them as a bigger money spinner than us for next season. Very happy if their performance reflects that view. Also, they have some very good players and Saturday is their last appearance in the shop window this season. In the words of Chippy, I reckon they'll give it a real go.
Do you think it works like that? I very much doubt any team plays with business criteria in mind, it’s just eleven insanely competitive guys doing their utmost to win.

Its going to be a real nail biter on Sunday but all we need to do is concentrate on winning our game.
Accrington are very capable of getting something at Portsmouth, and if Blackpool were to lose on Tuesday the pressure would be on them as well, and maybe Joey Barton’s team could win to prevent the embarrassment of finishing bottom. Who knows?
But what ever way it goes it’s been another good season.
3-1 to the U’S

Think we can forget Blackpool, even if they slip up against Donny they will beat the Gas. Joey Barton gave the Gas a public lambasting after their defeat last week, saying that most of them will be gone with a different team for the fans to watch next season, so they are going to be on the beach with their buckets and spades.

The only way we’ll finish above Blackpool is with them losing both games and us winning. Even with one goal margins in all three games, that would be sufficient for us to finish above them, as our goals scored tally is much higher than theirs. So a Doncaster win would be a bonus, but it’s a real long shot to hope Bristol Rovers win at Blackpool, if Blackpool need a result. I’d almost rather Charlton fail to beat Lincoln on Tuesday than Doncaster win - MApp could well rest players ahead of the playoffs and their heads could be down after that travesty at Peterborough. A big win for Charlton and they could get back into the equation for the last game of the season, and overtake us even if we win and Pompey slip up.

All very true. I guess I’m still thinking up all permeations even if some of them are rather improbable! A Blackpool draw midweek and they’re in the playoffs regardless of what us, Pompey and Charlton do on the final day. Two defeats for them against opposition whose status fort next season have been determined already is highly unlikely. Still, it’s a scenario that could happen.

Agree that Lincoln could end Charlton’s hopes and that would be a useful scenario.

I can’t see Accrington beating Portsmouth (although stranger things have happened) but I can see them nabbing a draw... I just hope that doesn’t happen but we fail to beat Burton!

Let’s just go all out attack on Burton, put them away and do our part. At least if we are 3-0 up at half time we can (sort of) enjoy following what might be a tight and tense game down south!

We can’t rely on Accy doing us any favours. We have to win our game then hope for the best. It will be gutting if we screw up then find out Pompey also screwed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom