Away Match Day Thread +++ 9/3/19 Gillingham v OUFC Matchday Thread +++

AbbeyOx

First time for me starting one of these so be gentle.
Hoping for 2nd away win and we've got pretty decent recent record against Gillingham.
Going for a 2-1 win with another from Sinclar and late winner from Ruffels
And hopefully talk of Holmes not playing is true and not just mind games

Last edited:
Looking forward to this one! Third away game of the year and the first two were Barnsley and Wimbledon so feel I’m due a win.

Gills are in pretty good form. In the last six games they’ve shipped four at home to barnsley and at the stadium of light but have picked up good points elsewhere, with a win at Wycombe, a draw at Cov and an unlucky point at Fleetwood last weekend. That said, anyone looking at our recent form would also be pretty impressed. Tom Eaves is obviously the dangerman but we shackled him pretty well back in November. A gritty six-pointer that I think will be 1-1.

Hoping for 3rd away win and we've got pretty decent recent record against Gillingham.

Also hoping for a 3rd away win....but we'll need a second one before the third!

Tough one to call, I'm more expectant of a 1-1 draw. High time for a Gavin Whyte netbuster.

We hate Sw-nd-n ....as do Gillingham too .... overview of how n why Gills fans detest Sw-nd-n almost as much as we do, for those U's supporters unaware of the whys n wherefores ....

The Swindon Town and Gillingham rivalry is an unusual one considering the distance between in miles, yet the events of a meeting at Priestfield in March 1979 set the tone for future years.
With the sides seeking promotion from Division Three, Swindon’s visit culminated in a fiery encounter. Gillingham scored two in the opening 25 minutes, only for Town to make it 2-2 before half time and take the draw. Gills fans were incensed when goalscorer Westwood was sent off for foul and abusive language, then later by the antics of Town defender Ray McHale, which culminated in a Gills fan running ont the pitch to punch and knock out the referee.
A few weeks later Gillingham visited the County Ground and McHale was centre of attention again after a tackle on him earned a red card. Then with Town 3-0 up Gills players turned on McHale for some retribution. The game eventually finished 3-1 and as the players returned to the dressing room, there was a fracas in the tunnel. Swindon coach Wilf Tranter was hospitalised with facial injuries after being punched. Two Gills players ended up in court over the incident, both were acquitted – and the season ended with both teams missing out on promotion – the Gills by a single point, which the Kent side blamed on Swindon.

away fans guide for Gillingham FC

Arrrr yes............. I remember waking up after an away day down there thinking the van had been nicked.
I had come home by train after a pleasant evening in The Brittania and an accommodating member of the bar staff...........:love::love:

Shame I had driven there................. got the van back Sunday afternoon!! ?:)

Think that temporary scaffolding is older than me!!

Have to be on top of our game for this one, proper goalscorers like Eaves usually fill their boots against us so The Dickster and Nels will have to be up for it. I do see us scoring though.

2-1 to either side I reckon.

Looking forward to this one, first away trip in a while for me!

COYY

Dickie was excellent in the home game, marked eaves out of the game. Hopefully a repeat of the same tomorrow.

2-1 Sinclair and graham. COYY.

Also hoping for a 3rd away win....but we'll need a second one before the third!

Tough one to call, I'm more expectant of a 1-1 draw. High time for a Gavin Whyte netbuster.
yeah forgot that. it's been a long season. now edited?

Speaking to Mous Saturday evening (name dropping) he feels any positive result, one point, will be a real bonus. Just enough going forward, but have to keep it tight at the back from the off. A really defensive set up and hope for the best. I know we are shite at sitting deep but these are desperate times. Defibrillator for Bazzer.

We hate Sw-nd-n ....as do Gillingham too .... overview of how n why Gills fans detest Sw-nd-n almost as much as we do, for those U's supporters unaware of the whys n wherefores ....

The Swindon Town and Gillingham rivalry is an unusual one considering the distance between in miles, yet the events of a meeting at Priestfield in March 1979 set the tone for future years.
With the sides seeking promotion from Division Three, Swindon’s visit culminated in a fiery encounter. Gillingham scored two in the opening 25 minutes, only for Town to make it 2-2 before half time and take the draw. Gills fans were incensed when goalscorer Westwood was sent off for foul and abusive language, then later by the antics of Town defender Ray McHale, which culminated in a Gills fan running ont the pitch to punch and knock out the referee.
A few weeks later Gillingham visited the County Ground and McHale was centre of attention again after a tackle on him earned a red card. Then with Town 3-0 up Gills players turned on McHale for some retribution. The game eventually finished 3-1 and as the players returned to the dressing room, there was a fracas in the tunnel. Swindon coach Wilf Tranter was hospitalised with facial injuries after being punched. Two Gills players ended up in court over the incident, both were acquitted – and the season ended with both teams missing out on promotion – the Gills by a single point, which the Kent side blamed on Swindon.

There’s me thinking you were going to describe a huge punch up between rival fans....??

Back
Top Bottom