Matches 74 points is the holy grail

Really? At this end of the table where teams in general do tend to pick up points?

I'd rather be on the same points as us with the same goal difference with two games in hand - Blackpool.

I'd rather be on the same points as us with one game in hand and a worse goal difference - Portsmouth

I'd rather be two points behind us with two games in hand and a worse goal difference - Charlton

The bookies also agree with that assessment:

Tuesday score-watching could be a nervous experience!
Yes. You watch other teams buckle

Yes. You watch other teams buckle
I hope you are right and of course it could happen but bookies nearly always win for a reason and so taking the objective view, it is unlikely but let's pray this is the rare exception.

Looking at all of the possible options it looks like we could still end up on 74 points with Pompey and Charlton. It would then be down to goal difference. At the moment we have the edge. Sunderland in the semi finals and Lincoln in the final. Keep dreaming.

Really? At this end of the table where teams in general do tend to pick up points?

I'd rather be on the same points as us with the same goal difference with two games in hand - Blackpool.

I'd rather be on the same points as us with one game in hand and a worse goal difference - Portsmouth

I'd rather be two points behind us with two games in hand and a worse goal difference - Charlton

The bookies also agree with that assessment:

Tuesday score-watching could be a nervous experience!
I'd rather be us, no matter where we end up.

I think Pompey will struggle to make it now. Accrington twice and a renewed Wimbledon to play, I could see them losing at least one of these and our goal difference is better. So in reality I think we're looking at one of Blackpool or Charlton to mess it up for us to sneak in, assuming we get our 6 points which is by no means a guarantee. Hopefully Sunderland can do us a favour to make up for the mess at their place with Blackpool, and with Hull and Lincoln to play Charlton will be feeling the pressure more than anyone. If we win our two games, we're putting ourselves in a very strong position.

I can't see us winning the last two AND other results going our way, we're just not that lucky. And if we did get in the playoffs we'd need to improve on this:
View attachment 6188
Well we have haven't we??

We have possibly 5 games left and in our previous five games we have won 4 lost 1 = 2.4

Why is a stat based on 14 games relevant when it is now all about immediate form that matters?

I personally think will will just fall short but even I can see that the above table is so negative and pointless.

EDIT : Sorry JLB - totally read that table wrong !! Haha 🤣🤣 Being a muppet.

Sorry to reply to my own post but 2/1 is actually a lot less than I would have expected given that the collective view on this forum is we have to win both of our remaining games and hope several others slip up. As others have pointed out though, there is no guarantee that Pompey, Charlton and even Blackpool (if they lose to Sunderland on Tuesday) will get what they need.
Its probably that low because there are two slots on offer now, between four teams, so we actually only need two to fail not all three (if we win our own games of course)

A win on Saturday will, I think, mean that we are guaranteed to go into the final day still with a chance of making the playoffs, whatever the other three do in the mean time

I am now in hopeful mode. Confident that nothing is a given and that the norm is to have all hope dashed at the last moment. (or we'll go to Wembley, be allowed to attend and give away a silly goal and spend 80 minutes getting back level)
It's never easy being an OUFC supporter. :rolleyes:

It’s interesting that the bookies have us at 15/8 or 2/1 sort of prices. A double on Ox to beat Shrews away and Burton home would certainly be bigger than that.

A win on Saturday will, I think, mean that we are guaranteed to go into the final day still with a chance of making the playoffs, whatever the other three do in the mean time
Unfortunately not.

Very unlikely but, if the other three win all their games (by one goal), then we will all have played 45 and table would be as follows:

Blackpool ... 77 +19
Charlton ..... 75 +14
Portsmouth 74 +15
Oxford .........71 +17

We need Blackpool to lose at least one or Charlton to draw one.

Back
Top Bottom