Home Match Day Thread 7/11/2021 FA Cup: OUFC v Bristol Rovers

Robinson hinted at doing something different so I think we will maybe go with a back 3 with Long becoming the third centre back alongside McNally and Moore or Thorniley. That would give the options of Forde and Seddon as more defensive wing backs, or Bodin and Whyte as more attacking options with Holland and Sykes rested.

etc.......

I really hope not. With no game pressure there's no reason to try to be clever, just play the setup that's been working and the players that've been in it.

Gas' best chance of winning is if Mr Robinson tries to be smart and our lads, as usually happens, play like a bunch of strangers.

Many on here were disappointed with the draw which surprised me as I thought it was almost 😉 as good as we could have hoped for. I have many awful memories of losing to this lot and relish the opportunity to stick it to them. If only history was with us. 🙁

And to quote Kevin Keegan 'I'd love it if we win'.

Last edited:
I really hope not. With no game pressure there's no reason to try to be clever, just play the setup that's been working and the players that've been in it.

Gas' best chance of winning is if Mr Robinson tries to be smart and our lads, as usually happens, play like a bunch of strangers.
Every week sees someone suggesting a 3/5 at the back formation and every defeat is followed by comments about Robinson not being flexible.

I'm not a big fan of messing about with the defence but today is as good a time as any to try something different.

Doesn't seem to make much sense tho since we only have 5 defenders: Forde being a midfielder and Mousinho a non-combatant, and I'm not convinced Seddon can defend.

Quite pleased with the timing of this one - wouldn’t have been able to make it yday and the earlier-than-usual finish means you still get a full afternoon of your Sunday to enjoy. Wouldn’t want to make a habit of it, but as a one-off, don’t mind it.

Conflicted about the lineup for this one. I was at Charlton Rotherham midweek, and, after hearing from a number of sources about how Rotherham are the team to beat in this league, was expecting big things. But they seemed eminently beatable - I was very surprised. I left thinking, if they’re the best this league has to offer, we really could have a real go this year. Didn’t seem anywhere near the standard of a Hull last season, or a Barnsley a couple years ago, etc. With a week since our last game and a week until our next, therefore, there doesn’t seem much need for rotation or concerns about fatigue, and it would be beneficial to keep the team playing and learning together. We all know how much KR sides rely on consistency.

However - there’s no getting round the fact that we are heavily and concerningly reliant on Matty Taylor at this moment in time. He’s in brilliant form, I think probably the best since he returned to the club, but if we lose him for a stretch of games, especially with the fixtures we have coming up, we could be in real trouble. Rovers will always be a spicy fixture for him, their fans and players will be out for him. I don’t think he should be risked. Similarly, Seddon has played every minute of the league so far (I believe). As some of our more astute posters have noted, we don’t have any LB backup. Would it be worth giving him the week off before a really tough run of games over the next few weeks and months? I think it might be, though I don’t know who would play there instead. Long maybe? Forde at RB?

Would like to see McNally and McGuane, too. The latter especially could be a big player for us this year if he gets into form - and he will probably need to be if Brannagan is off in Jan, as you suspect he might be.

Even if we change it up a bit, I think we’ll have too much for the Gas. 1-0, Brannagan.

The 'bird is open. ..with a doorman on duty .... .for those 'watching' the game on rad ox, coverage starts at 12.30pm ....which gives ifollow just 30 min to align sound &vision !

Cx9dVLTXEAAgey1

DIp8qDfXUAALzK-

PLAYED FOR BOTH : includes Matt Taylor, Billy Bodin, Ryan Clarke, Liam Sercombe, Junior Brown, Ray Graydon, Neil Slatter,
James Clarke, Jefferson Louis, David Savage, James Hunt and Lewis Haldane.
Does anyone else read these and still mentally split them into Oxford and Rovers players depending on where they feel like they belonged more.

Ryan Clarke, Matt Taylor, James Clarke, Jefferson Louis feel more like Oxford players whereas Junior Brown, Billy Bodin, Lewis Haldane feel more like Gas

I’m taking father and step-mum out for lunch today to celebrate their birthdays. I’d organised this before the games was switched from Saturday to Sunday.

I decided to stick by the commitment to them and like to think this is a sign of my emotional growth.

Different story it was a league game, obvs.

Does anyone else read these and still mentally split them into Oxford and Rovers players depending on where they feel like they belonged more.

Ryan Clarke, Matt Taylor, James Clarke, Jefferson Louis feel more like Oxford players whereas Junior Brown, Billy Bodin, Lewis Haldane feel more like Gas
Not sure about the last one. I have Nick Harris’s pronunciation of Haaaaoooooowwwwdaaoiyne etched on my brain.

Looks like he took your advice!

An hour to go and still plenty of spaces in the car park behind the east stand.

Today's game not available to both UK and International on iFollow so will have to just be RadOx for me. That is unless someone has found any fishing spots?

I'm searching. But probably no success until after KO.

7ad5c832deccec1a299d66f82272112d.jpg

Not seen this on my phone before - good move from the club.

Back
Top Bottom