Home Match Day Thread 7/11/2020 FA Cup round 1 OUFC v Peterborough United

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just a football fans forum people. Ive had a particularly s**t time of it personally recently, and I see OUFC and football as a nice distraction, albeit slightly reduced of late. Can we all agree that we are all OUFC supporters, going through difficult times at the moment, and try and keep things a bit less personal and a bit more civil?

This is just a football fans forum people. Ive had a particularly s**t time of it personally recently, and I see OUFC and football as a nice distraction, albeit slightly reduced of late. Can we all agree that we are all OUFC supporters, going through difficult times at the moment, and try and keep things a bit less personal and a bit more civil?
Your right and I will with immediate effect - point taken

I can only applaud that. I'm back in hospital which means the most I can get is a results serve for the most part. It makes you re evaluate life. We've got an ignore button people use it.

On reflection I don’t think we’d have won it this year anyway.

The run we had to the final looked too tricky
Similar philosophy at the County Ground, apparently, although in their case, they don't appear to have fancied their chances of making the Second Round too much.

Shodipo really needs to wait for an actual challenge before throwing himself down as he did on those 2 occasions imo. Rightly booked. He wasted 2 good positions as a result and may have actually got a challenge/penalty if he had stayed up at those times. He does plenty very well with his direct running which I really like but, apart from the above, he needs to work on his final ball. He had some good balls in, the early cross towards the end was so close to being perfect for Winnall, but there were plenty that hit the 1st defender.

Kelly had some excellent moments (that ball over the top in the 1st half for Taylor who put it over the bar was sublime) but at times he looks like a boy in a men's game. I appreciate at times his size doesn't help in this impression but his physicality really is becoming a problem at times imo. In the 1st half, at times he looked lost when we were under pressure but then, in stark contrast, in the 2nd half some of his ratting for the ball was good. I don't know what to make of him or whether he will be a good player. Unfortunately, he reminds me of Jack Payne.

Rob Hall is getting to the "thank you for all the great memories but" moment for me. I really hope he turns it around but apart from not putting a sitter in, he was pretty anonymous for me.

McGuane had some good moments but then he had some bad ones as well. Moments when it was almost play by numbers and then there were moments when he was instinctive, on the front foot and really positively affecting the game. I hope KR encourages the latter as he really looks a player when playing like that.

Jack Stevens did well for me. He had no chance with either goal. His sweeping behind the defence was good, as was his going for/claiming crosses. I would happily have him being no.1 on what I;ve seen from him this season.

Forde was very good. His set piece play is now an essential part of our play and he is one of the 1st names on the teamsheet for me. I still prefer that he is in central midfield though.

Ruffs still looks short of confidence to me but I'm glad he scored. Regardless of offside or not offside, it was a bit of a shocker for the 1st goal as he really should have controlled that.

I liked Cooper's intent when he came on.

Whilst I've been critical, I was encouraged at the team keeping pushing forward even after both goals conceded. There was some very good play mixed in and on another day we would have won that game. Also, I don't think losing will affect our confidence.

Edited for poor spelling.
Excellent post.

Fact is Eastie is still a great keeper in this league and will continue to be, but when Stevens continues to progress in a positive manner it’s derails your agenda on this forum and makes you some how how more of a prick online than you most likely are in your little lonely world.
Mods.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Once Biden has healed the political fault-lines dividing the US of A, perhaps he could turn his hand to YellowsForum?

I paid to watch the game yesterday and I came away quite positive about a number of things.

The things I liked were the following...Moore and Forde at the back were very good. Moore looks assured and confident, and Forde has good energy and a superb delivery. Our midfield had good control of the game imo and we moved the ball much better and quicker than I have seen previously. Shadipo looks like a player and has genuine pace, and technically Mcguane is insane.

There were a few concerns, and unfortunately I think these concerns are ongoing and really big factors to why we won't get a great deal of points on the board if there isn't a recognition. They are not based around ability but our mental attributes - particularly our concentration, confidence and decision making.
If you take the the goals conceded, Peterboro didn't have to work hard to score either and they must go down as two poor ones. The position that Ruffels had chosen just prior to their 1st goal was abysmal against a quick striker. For what Its worth, Ruffels didn't do a lot wrong apart from that but even at league 1 level you just can't do that. As a full back you must get your position early and not put yourself and your team in a position where you have to react last minute. Ruffels is not known for his pace so needed to be on his toes but slightly stood off of this man, and not to mention on the good side of him.
Secondly, Mcguane is a player with swagger and skill and in the middle and attacking third I like that. However, for the second goal in our defensive third, being pinned in next to our penalty area, facing our own goal, he chose to play instead of go safe. That decision proved to be so costly and what I'm quite worried about is that these guys aren't 14 or 15 - they are adults and have habits. Habits that I have seen cost us on numerous occasions. We seem to be missing the required urgency at the vital moments - and we can play pretty patterns until the cows come home but whilst we are making errors like this every week then we will have a difficult season.

ˆlike this except the QPR lad iis ShOdipo.

I see why KR said what he did now. A peno and an offside missed in 1 min.

I see why KR said what he did now. A peno and an offside missed in 1 min.
Not convinced by the penalty claim TBH though the offisde looks as though it should have been given, even though their player if off camera when the ball is played so we cannot be certain.
Overall though, that is quite an encouraging set of highlights in that, given it was PoshTV, we seemed to be putting good mvoes together and creating a number of chances, which bodes well for things starting to turn our way...

Not convinced by the penalty claim TBH though the offisde looks as though it should have been given, even though their player if off camera when the ball is played so we cannot be certain.
Overall though, that is quite an encouraging set of highlights in that, given it was PoshTV, we seemed to be putting good mvoes together and creating a number of chances, which bodes well for things starting to turn our way...

Yeah, I'd have been livid had that been given as a pen against us, he definitely took a dive.

Yeah, I'd have been livid had that been given as a pen against us, he definitely took a dive.
Ive looked at it over and over, and without seeing another angle I don’t think I could be certain it was a dive at all.

Ive looked at it over and over, and without seeing another angle I don’t think I could be certain it was a dive at all.

I'm not saying there wasn't contact. He surely took a dive though!

I'm not saying there wasn't contact. He surely took a dive though!
Yep. And unfortunately you can't help seeing it in the context of the embarrassing penalty area dive he was booked for in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom