Away Match Day Thread +++ 6/10/18 Southend United v OUFC +++

I wonder whether at some stage the players will begin to organise themselves into some semblance of an effective unit and begin to pick up points, almost despite the coaching team, rather than because of them?
There is plenty of time to salvage the season, after all we only have to get a handful of points more than four of the clubs around us and that will suffice, which is entirely doable even with the current squad. Then again, I said that when David Kemp took over!!

In the meantime, about time we got a lucky break to pick up a point so I'll go 1-1

I’d like to see us play a 433. Have Mousinho as a lone CDM. I think that gives us a bit more steel, as he can add another layer of defensive cover, and doesn’t make Mousinho’s occasional defensive lapses as catastrophic as if he’s the last man. Also gives our 2 CMs the opportunity to play a bit more box to box, which I feel is their game a bit more, Brannagan especially. Then Whyte, Holmes and probably Smith can play as more of a fluid front 3, a la Liverpool (I appreciate that’s being very generous but still). The three behind the striker all basically interchange as it is anyway, so this would just take basically the redundant lone man up top and replace him at CDM. That’s also to my eyes a potentially very quick, creative and clinical front three. I appreciate this takes away the CAM position which is probably where we have the most talent in the squad atm (Brannagan, Holmes, Henry) but I think we’ve learned this year that a good CAM is dependent upon having an effective front man, which we unfortunately do not have.

I don’t think we’ll win though. Would happily take a point.

This is the sort of game unpredictable Oxford might win. I don’t think we will win and if we lose Robinson will surely be sacked the next morning
Maybe we will win as I think we will lose

Can't help thinking unpredictable is a bit generous. We'll do well to scrape a point.

Adult Ticket free to a good home... any takers PM me. Will need to be able to collect from me near Abingdon.

This is the sort of game unpredictable Oxford might win. I don’t think we will win and if we lose Robinson will surely be sacked the next morning
Maybe we will win as I think we will lose
I think I understand what you said ???

Oxford being Oxford I think we might just go and win this one tomorrow. This will lead to an extremely quiet week on he forum as fans wont know whether to be happy that we won or sad that it could be a turn around in form that leads to Robinson keeping his job.

I hope it's the latter.

As for the team:

Eastwood
McMahon, Nelson, Moushino, Garbutt
Hanson, Ruffles
Holmes, Henry, Carruthers
Whyte​

Subs: Mitchell, Long, Norman, Dickie, Holmes, Smith, Obika,
No Brannagan!? Has to be at least on the bench?

1-1 Henry

Mitchell
Mcmahon Nelson Dickie Garbutt
Ruffles Brannagan
Whyte Henry Mackie
Smith
SUBS: Eastwood,Mousinho,Hanson,Holmes,Carruthers,Obika
Reckon this is what "the best coached team in the league" will look like tomorrow. Eastwood on the bench as i think Gobbo will look to do something to get fans back onside.

Simple answer to what we need to do, we need to keep the ball down and play football and stop isolating the striker by playing long ball. KEEP IT DOWN.

Greetings from sunny Cyprus. I so want to be positive, but it's Southend Ffs. Not that they are a good team but they just seem to always do us at Roots Hall. They way I see it is if they score they will win. Our only hope is they miss a hat full of chances and we sneak a goal from somewhere even an own goal will do. Sorry I can't be more positive. Right I have a catamaran to catch then back in time to find a bar with sky sports news on, and pray for a miracle. :cool:

In normal times would be there. Quite like the old school nature of Roots Hall. Tuesday incensed me though. There’ll be more excuses etc from verbal diarrhoea man as we lose to an 85th minute goal from someone falling asleep at a corner.

That’s a bit of a silly post........as if tiger would give him a 4 year contract but possibly 3 years plus an option to extend for another year.
Tiger also manages to negotiate a 25 year lease extension with Kassam Stadco on worse terms before announcing a it huge breakthrough and success.

It will be a close result - perhaps another 2-1 - but ultimately, we will lose again.

Southend are doing well. We are not. I don’t think, as far as predictions go, it gets more complicated than that.

We didn’t always struggle at Rpots Hall. I’ve been there a few times and seen us win over the years....but I don’t expect that today!

However....as always....Win or lose, up the U’s!

A strong, gallant start by us quickly fades to another defeat as we give away another silly goal. Gobbo sent to the stands, and Derry orchestrates more time wasting to keep the score down. (and fails)
We're off to Bournemouth to look after Mum. Fish & chip dinner.
Bah humbug!

Back
Top Bottom