Away Match Day Thread +++6/04/2019 Walsall v OUFC match day thread+++

Considering Walsall have been in free fall for a couple of months, I’m surprised their manager did not go before Saturday If Wycombe lose tomorrow night Ainsworth could be next. It’s all a bit late in the season for a new guy to get results, but Rochdale seemed to have improved since Keith Hill left.
Ainsworth seems to be ok in the job he’s been there a while and they’ve had him problems and unlike Teflon Wycombe seem to stick with Ainsworth.

Baldock was a great attacker, like Langan and Beardsley, but Skarz was a lower league hoofer. If we have wingers and wide players we can do without exciting full backs

But if we have exciting wingers and over lapping fullbacks then we’d be even more exciting.

Last edited:
Er Ruffels IS a good passer of the ball. And Long is getting better every game. Think you’re in danger of disappearing up your own fundament.

It’s quite clear that our 19/20 budget is not going to be limitless.

Tim, probably best if you stick to finance!

Last edited:
Absolutely. I would imagine that those three players alone are worth a combined 5k a week. Maybe even more if Pekalski was given a particularly awful contract from our perspective, which I’d imagine is pretty likely.

We could have a squad of 20 first team players with an average wage of 3k a week and it would still be around the 3m a year mark, which would be a substantial saving on this year’s budget.

There’s definitely scope to have a competitive squad with a reasonable outlay. Just means the summer window will need to see an improvement in terms of judgement.
Yes, if you look at the guys who’ve actually played the most minutes, maybe that’s not such an expensive squad. If we can’t afford Garbutt then fine, we’ve got cheap and promising Sykes

We we will probably sell 1 or 2 playerss as well i would imagine. Brannigan being the most likely I would say.

Yep. I’d be more surprised if he stays. A brilliant player.

Going to still neck out again ....I think Skyes is as good if not better, but Brannagan was immense Saturday ala Ledson.

Going to still neck out again ....I think Skyes is as good if not better, but Brannagan was immense Saturday ala Ledson.

If you think Sam Long and Josh Ruffels are not good enough and Sykes (in his very limited appearances) is on a par with Brannaghan (who has been very good all season) then I really hope you are not involved in our summer recruitment! Football may all be about opinions, but some of them are frankly bizarre!!!

If you think Sam Long and Josh Ruffels are not good enough and Sykes (in his very limited appearances) is on a par with Brannaghan (who has been very good all season) then I really hope you are not involved in our summer recruitment! Football may all be about opinions, but some of them are frankly bizarre!!!

Brannagan’s got a lot of energy/desire, but is irratic and lacks composure, whereas, I think Sykes is a better all round player.

Didn’t say Ruffels and Long aren’t good enough, but I’d like to improve this area on the pitch.

Having said that, looks like our owner is tightening the purse strings further, so I guess it won’t matter what we want/wound like.

Thought Dan Harris’ comments were quite telling today about funds being cut. Don’t reckon he’ll wait around too long if this is the case, especially as he had a certain strategy which he won’t want to be endangered of being successful.

Where’s Erik?

Brannagan’s got a lot of energy/desire, but is irratic and lacks composure, whereas, I think Sykes is a better all round player.

Didn’t say Ruffels and Long aren’t good enough, but I’d like to improve this area on the pitch.

Having said that, looks like our owner is tightening the purse strings further, so I guess it won’t matter what we want/wound like.

Thought Dan Harris’ comments were quite telling today about funds being cut. Don’t reckon he’ll wait around too long if this is the case, especially as he had a certain strategy which he won’t want to be endangered of being successful.

Where’s Erik?

A few assumptions there. Firstly, the talk from Tiger was that the budget will be the same as this year or slightly lower. That doesn't mean that we will be operating on a shoestring but will mean that we won't be spunking £400k or the likes of Hanson (which is no bad thing). The under 23's will be supplemented by the young kids coming through the ranks so there will not be the need to invest as much into that set up. This would have always been the long term plan, invest in our youth, give them competitive fixtures in the under 23's, then get them into the first team. We couldn't do that from scratch last year, so we had to look at some players coming in specifically for the under 23's. If we are no longer looking to invest there it potentially allows for greater investment in the first team.

Last year we had Holmes, Carrathurs, Garbutt and others on decent money and got little value for them. Alternatively, we have brought in Whyte, Sykes and giving more game time to Sam Long, all of whom are on a lot less. We can still compete but it will be a case of spending more wisely than we did in the summer.

As for Dan Harris, it is a sign of his success that we are able to do a lot of this work. Players who have been around the youth set up have already stepped up, and more will follow. There is no reason to think that he won't continue to be supported and to continue to build on this success.

Finally, we all know that Erick won't be around until the end of April. No one knows what if anything he will be investing, but the playing budget will be seperate to potential investment into the club/stadium. We apparently had the 8th biggest budget this year, but would have been blown out the water by the likes of Sunderland and Barnsley, and to a lesser extent, Portsmouth, Luton and Peterborough. The likelyhood is that 3 of these big spenders will go up this year, and those who stay behind may have to make big savings too. The teams likely to come up or go down from the Championship are not of the same calibre as those who came into the league this season so with adding to our budget we could still be competitive - but as always it is how this is spent.

A few assumptions there. Firstly, the talk from Tiger was that the budget will be the same as this year or slightly lower. That doesn't mean that we will be operating on a shoestring but will mean that we won't be spunking £400k

I’d suggest that we are safe in assuming that we can trust very little that comes from his mouth, but conversely in this case him inferring slightly lower in reality will mean a rather decimated budget.

Re the budget there are load of assumptions being made?
I would be surprised if anybody is surprised that there will be a reduction in the budget. If cash uses tight then it is an obvious thing to do.
A large amount has clearly been spent on the U23s. No bad thing but none of the players brought in at that level have pushed for the first team.
So there seems to now be a reliance on the players coming through the youth team. No bad thing?
There is an assumption that some of the U23s will push the first team. In thrn and time that should reduce costs of the first team I assume.
As many have said there gas been a whole load wasted on first team players this season.
So...reduced budget needn't necessarily mean less competitive

Nelson may be an early sign to whether Thor is going to be 'investing' in the playing budget as he could potentially match salary offers from other clubs.

Brannagan’s got a lot of energy/desire, but is irratic (sic) and lacks composure, whereas, I think Sykes is a better all round player.

Football is all about opinions obviously but I think it’s rather bizarre of
you to assert emphatically that Sykes is a better all round player compared to Brannagan.

I am not saying Sykes is not any good , he clearly has ability on the ball , but you’ve only seen him
start a match on a handful of occasions. They are clearly different midfielders with their own attributes.

Brannagan is worth a lot of money now - Sykes also could be a major asset too over the next 12 months or so.

Yet some people are still thinking Erick is riding in on his magical horse.

I think a magical horse is more likely to exist than a billionaire not be able to find time to transfer a bit of money over to a business he is serious about investing in because he is to busy.

Ruffles is an over lapping full back, Sykes is a better all round player than Brannigan even though they are completely different types of players, fans moaning about budget being smaller yet are the same ones who would be first to moan when there isn't enough money to pay the staff. All this on just 1 thread!

Nelson may be an early sign to whether Thor is going to be 'investing' in the playing budget as he could potentially match salary offers from other clubs.
No it won't.
Nelson may simply want to be in the Championship which is a much higher level.
I suspect that he already knows where he is going.
Nelson appears to be an ambitious player. If Oxford matched Derbys salary offer as an example would you expect him to sign for Oxford?

No it won't.
Nelson may simply want to be in the Championship which is a much higher level.
I suspect that he already knows where he is going.
Nelson appears to be an ambitious player. If Oxford matched Derbys salary offer as an example would you expect him to sign for Oxford?
I said it may. Sunderland were rumoured to be interested. If they dont go up for example...

Back
Top Bottom