50 points.....

The mythical 50 points.we might need less we might need more who knows.everyone is looking at teams below us but there are teams above us that are struggling to. Pompey being 1.yes we are struggling, things are not right at our club,but it is OUR club now is the time to get behind the boys and hope that they can collect enough points to make sure we are still a league 1 vlub next season. Its wont be pretty we will have to endure some inept performances. But fingers crossed we get there. Right off to Gatwick now but back for the big 1 at Fratton Park. COYY

How significant do those last 5 minutes at Charlton look now? 38 points and we're literally a single bad day of results for us away from the relegation zone...

How significant do those last 5 minutes at Charlton look now? 38 points and we're literally a single bad day of results for us away from the relegation zone...

Very. And every win now is going to make the situation look so much better. Mk’s new manager has lost his first 5 in a row, and is already being talked about being replaced, showing the need to get things right. Fleetwood have lost 7in a row and are manager less. Bury lost again last night to keep them struggling. How nice would 3 points be on sat. Only issue is they always seem to get the better of us

I tend to use points per game as an indication of safety. At the moment the fourth from bottom side would accumulate a fraction over 50 points if it continues the way it is, Therefore 51 points would be enough for safety............................right now that is. Matters can change as more games are played, but current form and past history would suggest 51 points would be just be enough. Though more would definitely be preferred!!!!!!!!!!

It's about much more than sheer statistics though. How will the team cope when the momentum is against them, how will they bounce back from an unfortunate defeat, will they have the balls to win games at the death to ensure safety? I look at the team, the management etc. (particularly the young loanees) and I have to say I'm not convinced.

(I do think we'll be mathematically safe with three or four games left though...all the other teams would have to go on some tear to get out of it).

52 should see any team safe. Currently 8 teams fighting over one spot in my opinion and we have to play 6 of them. 4 wins is what's needed for safety. If a manager comes in this week i think we're push on positively. Think all the uncertainty is playing with players minds,Especially Out of contract players in summer.

Still have Doncaster,Northampton,Wimbledon,Fleetwood,Rochdale,Oldham
Left to play who are in this scrap with us. Honestly can see us getting 12 points from these teams.
Yes Saturday is the old cliche 6 pointer, then again when we play all the teams below us it is a must not lose game.

I’m sure this has already been noted but a very worrying statistic:

Pep takes over as Manager of UE Figueres - Fired after only 9 matches, team relegated at end of the season

Pep takes over Espanyol’s Reserves - Dismissed after round 7, team relegated at end of season

Pep becomes manager of Halmstads - In his second season he is sacked and the team finish bottom

Was our fate sealed the moment we appointed him as manager this season....? ?

Here are this Saturdays fixtures featuring teams below Oxford get a positive result at Northampton and it could be a good weekend for us.

Bury v Gillingham

Fleetwood Town v MK Dons

Northampton Town v Oxford United

Oldham Athletic v Southend United

Peterborough United Wimbledon

Portsmouth v Blackpool

Walsall v Blackburn Rovers

Wigan Athletic v Rochdale

Here are this Saturdays fixtures featuring teams below Oxford get a positive result at Northampton and it could be a good weekend for us.

Bury v Gillingham

Fleetwood Town v MK Dons

Northampton Town v Oxford United

Oldham Athletic v Southend United

Peterborough United Wimbledon

Portsmouth v Blackpool

Walsall v Blackburn Rovers

Wigan Athletic v Rochdale
Be interesting to see how Wigan do against Rochdale. They could come unstuck if they’re still in ‘Hollywood’ mode after Man City

As I posted in another thread, explain how u see fleetwood getting to 54/59 points

the bottom 3 really in the s**t it’s only the 4th spot we really have to worry about. Fleetwood have lost their last 7 in a row. And would need 6 wins out of their last 14. 7 from 13 if we beat them, to get to 54 points. Considering they have managed 10 wins in 32 and are with out a manager I’d say thats fairly unlikely wouldn’t u that we will need 55 ? If they continue their form for the rest of the season we are in fact all ready safe on 41

The Fleetwood home game this Saturday is a must win game for us. The result of this match will give us a good indication if we are going to stay up or get involved in a relegation dog fight, and get sucked into the 4th from bottom relegation place as this place is the spot closest to us.

Agree fleetwood and Wimbledon will tell us a lot. Hopefully both will fall exactly with a new manager bounce

Yes good point. Forgot about Wimbledon coming up as well. The manager position needs to be sorted early this week. We looked nervy yesterday and lacked strength of leadership in the players on the field. Whether it will be Bellamy, Faz, Sol or peppy pig in charge this needs to be dealt with to withstand and survive a potential relegation battle.

)
The Fleetwood home game this Saturday is a must win game for us. The result of this match will give us a good indication if we are going to stay up or get involved in a relegation dog fight, and get sucked into the 4th from bottom relegation place as this place is the spot closest to us.
We do need to beat Fleetwood. Having said that we most certainly can't lose it. A point would be disappointing but a loss would be disastrous.

Fleetwood have had a worse run than us recently, so if we approach the game like we did against Plymouth there is no reason why we shouldn't win (which would put us at least 8 points clear of the bottom four and within touching distance).

Sure BBC ox said that 52/53 points is usually the required number to stay up? Does that sound right?

Back
Top Bottom