50% capacity

I should say that I’m comfy working from home on full salary and quite relaxed about money etc. I appreciate not everyone is so fortunate and that this will mean a lot to them.

Well. We didn’t have a years lockdown for flu, did we? And how many youngish people are there with ‘long flu’? And have more than a million people died of flu recently? Have you Tories not been watching the news for the last year??
There are an estimated 250000 in the UK with ME/CFS, a condition which usually follows a viral infection, can last years and often begins in adolesence. The prevalence and severity has been hidden away for years. Similarities with long Covid are evident and being examined in current research.

My wife’s friend, not old, has got Covid despite being double jabbed. You’re complacent. But I hope your approach proves right.

And how is she getting on ? On a scale of sniffle to hospital ?

Though I’m not sure how much that adds.

I should say that I’m comfy working from home on full salary and quite relaxed about money etc. I appreciate not everyone is so fortunate and that this will mean a lot to them.

But will you still have a comfy working from home job on full pay if the current restrictions were extended until the virus has vanished? It's not just people that want restrictions over, company's can't afford another couple of years of uncertainty.

Well the let’s all get back to normal approach may will suit some people, I have given great thought to the whole thing,and come to the conclusion that a crowded stand is not for me , I asked the question to the club if a small area could be put aside based on social distancing which made attending the game less of a risk, no positive response so I am not renewing. Perhaps watching Oxford city is a option

Well the let’s all get back to normal approach may will suit some people, I have given great thought to the whole thing,and come to the conclusion that a crowded stand is not for me , I asked the question to the club if a small area could be put aside based on social distancing which made attending the game less of a risk, no positive response so I am not renewing. Perhaps watching Oxford city is a option
Respect your view and think the idea of a small area set aside for like minded fans is good BUT jumping ship for oxford city,come on

Sit at the fence end in the SSL. Won't be anybody near you. Problem solved and you don't have to start watching an entirely different team.

Which is significantly less than a 18 months of COVID tbf.
Which is because we have had an annual flu vaccination program for years.

Covid is new and the vaccination took a year to develop, but it is now being rolled out with extreme efficiency.

So we now move into the next phase, which is getting our lives back to normal and learning to live with it, just like we live with the flu.

Which is significantly less than a 18 months of COVID tbf.
I presume there is a lower threshold of deaths which those who want continued restrictions would find acceptable.

It would be interesting to know what the lower threshold is for these people, before we can open up. Does it have to be 10 deaths per day? 8? 3? 0?

We're now living in a time where flu and pneumonia is killing more people in the UK than Covid.

If we need to keep masks and social distancing now, then how do you reconcile that argument with a never-ending supply of influenza deaths? And why do we not just keep the restrictions forever as a result?

I presume there is a lower threshold of deaths which those who want continued restrictions would find acceptable.

It would be interesting to know what the lower threshold is for these people, before we can open up. Does it have to be 10 deaths per day? 8? 3? 0?

We're now living in a time where flu and pneumonia is killing more people in the UK than Covid.

If we need to keep masks and social distancing now, then how do you reconcile that argument with a never-ending supply of influenza deaths? And why do we not just keep the restrictions forever as a result?

Yeah, I don't disagree with your position on this at all. I think it's time to scale restrictions right back and open things up.

I just wanted to point out that COVID has been a serious thing and I don't think retrospective trivialisation is helpful. I'm not in any way accusing you of doing this.

I'll try to do as @Scotchegg says and be compassionate to those who stil have anxieties and concerns, and if some places still want me to wear a mask I will, it's really not that great a hardship for me.

Which is because we have had an annual flu vaccination program for years.

Covid is new and the vaccination took a year to develop, but it is now being rolled out with extreme efficiency.

So we now move into the next phase, which is getting our lives back to normal and learning to live with it, just like we live with the flu.

Yeah, I agree.

Did you struggle with the part that said "Three flu pandemics"? Its why there is a regular jab, same as there will be for Covid.
If we were in the midst of Spanish flu would you be saying, It’s just flu?!

I may look a t**t in three months. That’s fine, it won’t be the first time, and I hope I do, because if it’s you there will be an awful lot of people dead.

Yeah, I don't disagree with your position on this at all. I think it's time to scale restrictions right back and open things up.

I just wanted to point out that COVID has been a serious thing and I don't think retrospective trivialisation is helpful. I'm not in any way accusing you of doing this.

I'll try to do as @Scotchegg says and be compassionate to those who stil have anxieties and concerns, and if some places still want me to wear a mask I will, it's really not that great a hardship for me.
Well said

Covid is not just flu. Not when I have had 2 colleagues, healthy males, 27 and 31 with no underlying health conditions die from it in the last 2 weeks.

I’ve had COVID in fact my whole household has had it we survived thank god but I do finally think it’s time to get back to some sort of normal I honestly can’t wait to get back inside a football ground in a packed stand to have more memories like some we’ve had over the past few seasons BUT I fully respect people who don’t feel it’s safe yet or people who won’t return because they’re are nervous also people who will still wear a face mask but for me I can’t wait just to feel free for 90 mins again

Covid is not just flu. Not when I have had 2 colleagues, healthy males, 27 and 31 with no underlying health conditions die from it in the last 2 weeks.
It's not just flu, you're right. But it's killing fewer people in this country than flu. So it's statistically less dangerous than flu (in the UK) right now.

Have you Lefties not been reading about flu?

"Three influenza pandemics occurred at intervals of several decades during the 20th century, the most severe of which was the so-called "Spanish Flu" (caused by an A(H1N1) virus), estimated to have caused 20–50 million deaths in 1918–1919. Milder pandemics occurred subsequently in 1957–1958 (the "Asian Flu" caused by an A(H2N2) virus) and in 1968 (the "Hong Kong Flu" caused by an A(H3N2) virus), which were estimated to have caused 1–4 million deaths each."

Er yes! The Spanish flu was quite serious! But doesn’t happen every year, thankfully.
2009 bird flu was H1N1 - descendent of the spanish flu. As EY points out we get flu jabs every year because these things don't simply go away. Better personal hygiene and vaccines will allow us to get back to normal, but you only have to look at the annual flu death toll to have an idea what "normal" entails.

80000 plus died of Asian flu in the uk in 1968/69 cant remember a lockdown then , if you don't believe just check the figures
actually some some say as high as 86000.
And remember a much smaller population then and a Labour government !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom