+-+ 5 Game Blocks 2019/20 Season +-+

Updated - 8 points this block. The goals have trailed off a bit (esp if you take the FA Cup and Leasing thingy into account)

We are doing significantly better than the last three seasons :)

20 games played out of the 44 we will play this season, so half way will be after Wimbledon.

The next block has only four games in it because I am presuming the Ipswich game will be there somewhere.

Accy won't be though.

Indeed - if they don't sort out the Ipswich game soon I will presume that neither game will be in the block. Too bone idle to do it twice if I don't have to! ;)

Updated with the last two results in there.

I have moved the Ipswich and Accrington home games out of the list for now - will reinstate them when we know when they are, and will rejig the next block of five games nearer to the time (maybe one of those games will be in there - hopefully not, as we will be on an FA Cup run!).

We are now halfway through the season. Stating the bleeding obvious, if we do as well in the second half of the season as we have in the first half we will get 78 points. Even if we weren't two games short this season, that would be enough for the playoffs - I reckon that 70 points will get us into the playoffs and a touch over 80 into the automatics (pure guess!). Record is W11 D6 L5 - we have played 10 home games and 12 away.

Edit - Given that we only amassed 5 points from our first seven games (!!!) and I don't think we will go on such a poor run again - things are looking good!

Last edited:
Updated and the end of the five game block - points-wise the worst since the first one of the season. We could do with another 'Block 3'!

Mad how if we beat Sunderland tomorrow we’ll still have been ticking along nicely at 7 or 8 points per 5 game group (with the exception of the first batch) all season, despite our recent poor form.

9 points per 5 game block from here on in and it'll be the playoffs. Start ordering the foam hands!!!!

9 points per 5 game block from here on in and it'll be the playoffs. Start ordering the foam hands!!!!
Block 7 - Wimbledon (H), Accrington (H), Southend (H) (plus you'd reasonably expect to get something from Shrews (A))
Block 8 - MK (H), Rochdale (A) Bristol Rovers (H) (Rovers admittedly a bogey team but they are shocking atm)
Block 9 - Looking tough, but Bolton (H) and Tranmere (A) should be nailed on wins. Fleetwood (H) could either be tough (if they're also pushing for playoffs at that point) or a win (if they revert to mid table form and we recapture our home form).

I hadn't actually realised how many winnable games we have left - put like this, it looks promising.

Block 7 - Wimbledon (H), Accrington (H), Southend (H) (plus you'd reasonably expect to get something from Shrews (A))
Block 8 - MK (H), Rochdale (A) Bristol Rovers (H) (Rovers admittedly a bogey team but they are shocking atm)
Block 9 - Looking tough, but Bolton (H) and Tranmere (A) should be nailed on wins. Fleetwood (H) could either be tough (if they're also pushing for playoffs at that point) or a win (if they revert to mid table form and we recapture our home form).

I hadn't actually realised how many winnable games we have left - put like this, it looks promising.

Talking of bogey teams, If we beat Fleetwood, it would be our 1st ever win against them and we have only drawn 2 whilst we have lost 9. A draw at home would be our 1st home point having lost all 5 games previously. So never mind Bristol Rovers, this looks infinitely worse!

Updated. Block 6 was a bit rubbish (but then I think we all knew that).

Let's hope last night's good start to block 7 means we are on an upward curve.

Updated. Block 6 was a bit rubbish (but then I think we all knew that).

Let's hope last night's good start to block 7 means we are on an upward curve.

So we only need 4 more points from 4 games to equal the tally from three seasons ago? Surely we should easily do that, best season for a while then as it stands!

To add to this @ZeroTheHero Ruffels said in the Southend preview for the remaining 12 games, (including Accrington) they have split the season into 4, 3 game blocks with the aim of 6 points per block

To add to this @ZeroTheHero Ruffels said in the Southend preview for the remaining 12 games, (including Accrington) they have split the season into 4, 3 game blocks with the aim of 6 points per block
Well I'm not bloody changing it now! ;)
I'm keeping it as it is - it makes it easier to compare to previous seasons, which is really the aim.

I've recently had a look at blocks in terms of results instead of matches, and it makes for interesting reading. One positive upshot is that if the pattern holds, we could be looking at a decent run of form between now and the end of the season.

Untitled3.png

Back
Top Bottom