Match Buildup 4th ashes test old trafford

Sarge

God like member
Will Sandpaper Smith return ?
Will Anderson return?

if the above return to their respective starting XIs will Labuschagne & Archer make way, or will there be other changes?

If Smith and Labuschagne both bat & (a fit) Anderson and Archer bowl this could be one hell of a contest

To bring Anderson in, you would expect Woakes to be dropped. He has the least wickets of the pace bowlers.

The last result covered up a multitude of problems with the England batting line up that need to be addressed. Is there anyone in the county game can step up? No-one seems to be making the case.

I'd be happy to drop Roy down the order as he doesn't seem to be a test opener but who would partner Burns? Root is being exposed to the new ball too early. 2 and 3 are STILL the problem. Will Jos Buttler be retained? He's made little contribution with the bat.

In the Aussies latest 3 day tour match against Derbyshire. Starc 3 for 46. Harris 52 not out over night.

I’m sure Starc will play at Old Trafford, the Aussies plan on this tour has been to rotate their after bowlers.

Our test batting lineup has been a bit of a mess all summer. Jason Roy is simply not a test opener against this quality of attack. Brilliant one day player yes, but I’m not even sure about him dropping down the order.

Josh Butler looks as if he’s suffering a huge hangover from the World Cup and needs a break.

If Anderson replaces Woakes then our tail looks pretty long and we just can’t afford to carry people like Roy & Butler at the moment.

There might be a temptation to play Curran and push Stokes up to 3 or even opener!

I might even look at Gary Ballance again, scoring runs and a left handed. A number 3 or could do a job as opener?

Saying all that it wouldn’t surprise me if the selectors go for the same 11 again!

In the Aussies latest 3 day tour match against Derbyshire. Starc 3 for 46. Harris 52 not out over night.

I’m sure Starc will play at Old Trafford, the Aussies plan on this tour has been to rotate their after bowlers.

Our test batting lineup has been a bit of a mess all summer. Jason Roy is simply not a test opener against this quality of attack. Brilliant one day player yes, but I’m not even sure about him dropping down the order.

Josh Butler looks as if he’s suffering a huge hangover from the World Cup and needs a break.

If Anderson replaces Woakes then our tail looks pretty long and we just can’t afford to carry people like Roy & Butler at the moment.

There might be a temptation to play Curran and push Stokes up to 3 or even opener!

I might even look at Gary Ballance again, scoring runs and a left handed. A number 3 or could do a job as opener?

Saying all that it wouldn’t surprise me if the selectors go for the same 11 again!
I think they’ll promote Denly to opener and drop Roy down to 4. Rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic springs to mind...

6. Stokes
7. Bairstow
8. Archer
9. Broad
10. Leach
11. Anderson

It's not so bad but I can see what you mean. The lower-middle order should not have to bail out the rest of the batting line-up every time. In a test match, taking wickets is key - I think this is the best for the bowling attack.

No thanks to Gary Ballance... He'd be eaten alive by their pace attack. Same as Jennings.

I suppose Denly is a good shout or someone is an opener by trade in county cricket will be at least a step forward.

Looking at that team I'd be batting like this.

Burns
Denly
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Buttler (WK)
Curran
Archer
Broad
Overton
Leach

Wouldnt even bother with Roy. Looks shot of confidence and had an awful series

Rest Woakes get him firing for the decider at the oval!

Last edited:
Wonder if we've seen the last of Anderson in an England shirt...
That would be a huge shame, but if he is getting to the stage when injuries are recurring and not healing so fast or well, I think I'd rather see him retire rather than damage himself (or his reputation). At least Archer has appeared to potentially fill the gap should it happen.

I'd also drop Roy for Curran, an extra bowler is probably needed if we're to stand a chance of getting Smith and Aubergine out.

Looking at that team I'd be batting like this.

Burns
Denly
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Buttler (WK)
Curran
Archer
Broad
Overton
Leach

Wouldnt even bother with Roy. Looks shot of confidence and had an awful series

Rest Woakes get him firing for the decider at the oval!
It will be the same 11, although I don't agree with it. They'll swap Roy and Denly around.
If they do make a change Pope would come in for Roy. Bairstow will keep wicket and Buttler will be a very lucky man if he keeps his place. We shouldn't be hiding him at 7.

It will be the same 11, although I don't agree with it. They'll swap Roy and Denly around.
If they do make a change Pope would come in for Roy. Bairstow will keep wicket and Buttler will be a very lucky man if he keeps his place. We shouldn't be hiding him at 7.
With the inimitable and dynamic Ashley Giles running things it’ll be the same 11 with a couple of tweaks to the order. I’m not even sure if Pope is in the squad for this one is he?

With the inimitable and dynamic Ashley Giles running things it’ll be the same 11 with a couple of tweaks to the order. I’m not even sure if Pope is in the squad for this one is he?
Nope not part of squad somehow. Overton has come in. I expect one of Curran or Overton in as it'll give us more variation up against Sandpaper Steve and Laubaschagne (have no idea if that's the spelling but its close)

It will be interesting to see what wicket has been prepared for this game. The WC semi pitch received a lot of criticism and there has been quite a bit of rain in the North West since. If it’s a slow paced wicket then the Aussie attack will be less effective but then this will also apply to Archer. It could be that Lyons will be the main threat.

It will be interesting to see what wicket has been prepared for this game. The WC semi pitch received a lot of criticism and there has been quite a bit of rain in the North West since. If it’s a slow paced wicket then the Aussie attack will be less effective but then this will also apply to Archer. It could be that Lyons will be the main threat.
If it’s also overcast then swing and lateral movement could be a big factor. If that’s the case then Anderson will be a big miss.

Talk is Roy is going to down to 4 with Denly opening. While Overton is in the squad, I can't see him playing.

Re: Anderson, my feeling is he is being managed by the ECB. Would he get into that team? This is the first time in a long, long time where he's not an automatic pick. Archer has kind of blown the doors open in the past 2 tests

Talk is Roy is going to down to 4 with Denly opening. While Overton is in the squad, I can't see him playing.

Re: Anderson, my feeling is he is being managed by the ECB. Would he get into that team? This is the first time in a long, long time where he's not an automatic pick. Archer has kind of blown the doors open in the past 2 tests
I'd say fit he's still an automatic pick. Certainly ahead of both Woakes and Broad. And still an automatic pick for the new ball.

Just got to find a way to get him fit....

Surely theres a way to get him in but manage his overs and put a cap on the amount he bowls. Even if he only bowls 10 overs a test it's worth it we all saw how much the Aussies struggled against him first test.

Back
Top Bottom