Matches 40 years since the smoke bomb game

• Thread starter OxfordYankee
  • Start date
The crowd barriers were dug up that day by the skinheads - using steel toe cap Doctor Martins, in the days when DMs could be used for more than just the catwalk!

Was there also - remember Oxford fans all over the Magic Roundabout before and afterwards - utter mayhem inside and outside the ground.
not that I can confirm this as in anyway official... but, I sort of like to think a visit from Oxford some years before the Eric read/ smokebomb game was part responsible for the magic roundabout being constructed! - ,- we took the Town end , but lost on the pitch ( it may even have been 4-0 or 4-1? ) , at that pre magic roundabout time, there was a huge roundabout instead, Oxford left the ground and 'took' the roundabout, a long and length rendition of knees up mother brown by several thousand Oxford, followed by traffic in all directions being totally gridlocked for some time, .... followed by more mayhen on the eventual way to the station along Manchester road (?)

Crazy night all round, I remember getting hit on the shoulder, with half a brick, thrown over the back of the Stratton bank, lucky it wasn't my head (or some say unlucky👀} but the greenhouse got demolished, when it all went back the other way.. .. .. MAD

I think a week before he signed for us from Burnley, we played them at the Manor and he got a hells reception from the London Road....After he signed he became one of the most loved and appreciated players ever. I think ij his first season he and Jonny Aldridge combined 18 and 37 goals and many of Jonny's goals set up by the big man. Forever a hero....and he made the goal for NI v Spain in the 82 world cup finals.....some player we had

Billy Hamilton's final OUFC goal. An absolute legend, despite only playing 41 times for the club (20 goals). I think the only 'current' Oxford player to appear at a World Cup?
Ray Houghton?

Certainly a game I will never forget. As the game entered its last few minutes a smoke bomb was thrown onto the pitch by a Scum supporter and, amidst the confusion, the referee did not stop the game which allowed Swindon to score a late winner.
But it wasn't just 'on the pitch' , it was in the penalty area we were defending! From what I could see anyway.

Wish we still got some of this tasty stuff from time to time - think of it what you will but which of our recent "ordinary" matches will still be stuff of Oxford folklore in 40 years time...

Wish we still got some of this tasty stuff from time to time - think of it what you will but which of our recent "ordinary" matches will still be stuff of Oxford folklore in 40 years time...
Whilst i get where your coming from, it would be good to remember events on the pitch depending of course of your definition of Ordinary

I both don’t/do want Swindon to get promoted for this very reason. Can’t wish them any good fortune but the matches are the highlight of the season (now we beat them regularly anyway) and come with real tension. No other team comes close really, more tension against Leyton Orient now than High Wycombe for example.

I get where you are coming from to a point, but also think the game in the UK has moved on for the better. I still hate that lot in a way that any sensible person shouldn’t - but this said, value being able to come back to the UK and take my older teenager son to games without being concerned with what may or may not happen.

Back then, it was different times, the working class fighting Tory suppression (whereas today it’s just resisting social media and Tory lies)! 😉

Back
Top Bottom