Away Match Day Thread 4/9/21 L1: AFC Wimbledon v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why get so irate about a fan gently ribbing an opponents ground ffs.
Irate 🤣.. if you say so.

I don’t think it is was me getting so upset about another ground.

But, to use your own words from earlier, some people need to lighten up ffs 🤦‍♂️

Christ… why get so uptight about another clubs ground?

Forgive me if I don’t get it.

If/when we get our own ground and it’s shite, i’ll understand the criticism, but another clubs? Give me strength.
Nope, not uptight, just disappointed with what I found but what I object to is essentially being told my opinion about their ground is not valid because I’m ‘a bit sour after a painful defeat’. Simple really, bit of respect for others opinions doesn’t hurt does it?

I noticed yesterday that kicking out short from Stevens to our defence we got robbed 3/4 times when in possession. We do this nearly every time from the goal kick please can they not mix it up and go long sometimes. We will get caught more and more and and sometimes the opposition will score.

Not read all the recent posts but does anybody else have the suspicion that substitutions are rarely tactical? They’re, barring injuries, decided before kick off?! Its the only logical explanation I can come up with for the Sykes/Winnall one.

We are always going to be vulnerable at set pieces as yet again KR didn’t recruit players with physical presence, the only height we have is at CB, the rest of the squad is sub 5’10. He talked about it after the play off defeat to Blackpool, but recruitment didn’t address it in the summer.
Not the first and I’d put my mortgage on it not being the last time I see a comment like this. If every time we get something tactically wrong we point the finger at players in and players out, it’s going to be a long season for you. The recruitment this year was very, very nearly perfect and we have one of the best squads in the division. If all it took was tall players to defend, there wouldn’t be much need for highly paid set piece coaches in the modern game.

Sean Clare was tall, does he get us a point or more yesterday? I’ll save your breath, he absolutely wouldn’t have. As some others have rightly said, a man on the post may have got us out of jail yesterday.

I defend Karl as a part time job it feels like at times, but even I can’t excuse conceding from set pieces yesterday after the absolute mauling we got from corners at Cambridge in the week which was actually cringeworthy to watch. That’s not about recruitment, that’s simply about positioning, communication and just learning from your mistakes. Above all you need players who are desperate to head the ball.

OK tall players are advantageous (which is why you must have a few, yes) but it’s not much use if they have zero understanding of where to stand to be most effective. A pair of effective centre backs working together and a positive, confident keeper should deal with 95% of balls in the box. Add in some good zonal positioning from the rest and you should be OK. It’s not rocket science but it needs attention urgently before hoof ball Harry and his boys come to visit.

Not the first and I’d put my mortgage on it not being the last time I see a comment like this. If every time we get something tactically wrong we point the finger at players in and players out, it’s going to be a long season for you. The recruitment this year was very, very nearly perfect and we have one of the best squads in the division. If all it took was tall players to defend, there wouldn’t be much need for highly paid set piece coaches in the modern game.

Sean Clare was tall, does he get us a point or more yesterday? I’ll save your breath, he absolutely wouldn’t have. As some others have rightly said, a man on the post may have got us out of jail yesterday.

I defend Karl as a part time job it feels like at times, but even I can’t excuse conceding from set pieces yesterday after the absolute mauling we got from corners at Cambridge in the week which was actually cringeworthy to watch. That’s not about recruitment, that’s simply about positioning, communication and just learning from your mistakes. Above all you need players who are desperate to head the ball.

OK tall are advantageous (which is why you must have a few, yes) but it’s not much use if they have zero understanding of where to stand to be most effective. A pair of effective centre backs working together and a positive, confident keeper should deal with 95% of balls in the box. Add in some good zonal positioning from the rest and you should be OK. It’s not rocket science but it needs attention urgently before hoof ball Harry and his boys come to visit.
I dont get why if we are likely to lose the first ball we don't cover the posts , would have stopped at least one goal yesterday I think.

Don't worry, I'm not expecting you to agree, but I actually think that if we'd started with Winnall yesterday we'd have won the game.

Taylor hasn't been at the races recently, and I'm not sure we'd have lost anything by switching the two. But what we do get from Winnall is someone who screams and shouts and organises and I think our defence would have been better for his earlier involvement. Of course there will be those who talk about the two penalties, but one hit him in the face and the other he won the ball before the play ran into him. We would also have had Taylor to come on and liven things up.
I’m not sure it’s fair to say that Winnall, a striker, would have magically shouted loud enough to transform our defence and stop us conceding from set pieces - if so it’s extremely worrying that Elliott Moore, our captain and centre back, couldn’t have done the same! Also attacking wise we certainly wouldn’t have gained anything by starting him…

Don't worry, I'm not expecting you to agree, but I actually think that if we'd started with Winnall yesterday we'd have won the game.

Taylor hasn't been at the races recently, and I'm not sure we'd have lost anything by switching the two. But what we do get from Winnall is someone who screams and shouts and organises and I think our defence would have been better for his earlier involvement. Of course there will be those who talk about the two penalties, but one hit him in the face and the other he won the ball before the play ran into him. We would also have had Taylor to come on and liven things up.
He screams and shouts true, I have not seen anything to show he organises effectively, particularly defensively. In any case I'm not really sure that the reason a striker should start up front is that he organises our defence. If nobody, including our captain, is doing that in the back five (Inc Stevens) then that is something out coaching staff need to address urgently. I want Winnall to come good as a striker but at present, despite multiple opportunities he has not done this consistently.

For all the criticism about it not lasting. Three sides are temporary. Eventually one by one they will be upgraded but it will take time and money.
I know there has been some criticism about AFC Wimbledon and the stadium on here but I think the story of your club is a shining example and what happened to your club could have happened to anyone. Your fans didn’t let the club die and you should be proud of your stadium. Its clear it’s only 25% permanent so far. It’s clear that we will finish above you this year as we are on different trajectories at the moment but success is based on individual clubs goals on the pitch.

I know there has been some criticism about AFC Wimbledon and the stadium on here but I think the story of your club is a shining example and what happened to your club could have happened to anyone. Your fans didn’t let the club die and you should be proud of your stadium. Its clear it’s only 25% permanent so far. It’s clear that we will finish above you this year as we are on different trajectories at the moment but success is based on individual clubs goals on the pitch.
Probable based on budgets but it isn’t clear.

You should finish above us. However we are on an upwards curve. Since Robbo took over we have lost 6 in 31 matches. We are youngest side in professional football in England currently and our goal.is championship and sustainability

I can see Wimbledon being a success story this year. Despite going down they fought hard to get their equaliser and kept going for the win.
I hope we can find some wins now. Managers are supposed to learn from defeats. Karl Robinson has the players at his disposal and he must blend them into a winning team.
After a poor start last season we have done ok so far and just need Taylor and Whyte in scoring form

Up to a point you were doing ok. Now, you have made yourself look really silly. Your wonderful stadium is really quite pathetic. If that is what you get for the millions you deluded souls poured in then you have been taken for a ride. It looks more than just unfinished, it lacks the finesse of a new build. The seats are cheap and nasty, ours were already failing. The view from the corners is impeded by walls masking the service entrances. The toilets have already failed and are displaying all the qualities of decade old stadiums. To state that the stadium is a work in progress is just confirmation of your lack of belief in ambition. Raised the money yourselves? Good luck, you won't see a penny back.
Back down to non league. :ROFLMAO:

I am missing something? We should have started with Winnall because he shouts loudly and can organise the defence? Despite the fact that he can't run and doesn't seem to be able to do the job of a striker? He is a spent force, and judging by his frustration that is something he knows himself. This obsession with playing people because they are experienced or 'good in the dressing room' without taking into account what they actually contribute on the pitch is one of KR's more baffling blind spots - let's not encourage him.

A man who is the team captain and in the centre of defence should be organising the defence not someone miles up the pitch! I'll be wearing my Peril Sensitive sunglasses on Saturday every time Wycombe have a dead ball kick anywhere in our half.

Last edited:
I can see Wimbledon being a success story this year. Despite going down they fought hard to get their equaliser and kept going for the win.
I hope we can find some wins now. Managers are supposed to learn from defeats. Karl Robinson has the players at his disposal and he must blend them into a winning team.
After a poor start last season we have done ok so far and just need Taylor and Whyte in scoring form
I think you are spot on there. If we took the chances we wouldn’t be conceding more goals as this would breed confidence throughout the team

I am missing something?

Yes.

Away from home particularly you need to defend as a team. Taylor is out of sorts at the moment and I think that Winnall gives the same presence upfront but also a greater presence in our own box.

Also it's clear that our central defender and captain isn't doing the shouting and organising or we wouldn't have conceded the goals we have. So having another experienced player to support this can only be a good thing.

That's probably the oddest reason for selecting a non-scoring, non-running striker that I have ever heard: that he is good in defence :ROFLMAO:

I suspect the truth of it is that the training for these defensive situations isn't up to the mark at the club (given that it happened on Tuesday as well, with an almost completely different set of players) rather than it being the fault of one person being a bit quiet on the pitch!

I will leave you to your crackpot theory and I look forward to seeing Winnall playing in central defence..

That's probably the oddest reason for selecting a non-scoring, non-running striker that I have ever heard: that he is good in defence :ROFLMAO:

I suspect the truth of it is that the training for these defensive situations isn't up to the mark at the club (given that it happened on Tuesday as well, with an almost completely different set of players) rather than it being the fault of one person being a bit quiet on the pitch!

I will leave you to your crackpot theory and I look forward to seeing Winnall playing in central defence..

Because that's exactly what I've said!!

he could play at RB😉😉😉😏

Winnall, in defence? His first action on Saturday was to grab an opposition player by the throat and give away a freekick.

No thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom