Away Match Day Thread 4/9/21 L1: AFC Wimbledon v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is we lost to a more physical side which KR said we needed to address after the play off defeat, we didn’t follow that with our summer recruitment and yet again struggled against a physical side. Recruitment over the summer very nearly perfect?? no left back cover, no CDM cover and Forde not a natural RB to cover?
You're not alone in thinking this but with respect, Saturday exposed our biggest flaws and none of those 3 players you think we require would have made a difference. Perhaps a RB with more defensive awareness but even then, clutching at straws because he was not to blame and this constant bashing of Forde seems off target to me. He's becoming a scapegoat for too many, in my opinion.

We've conceded from 4 or 5 corners in under a week and that to me is not a personnel issue, rather a tactical problem which you cannot get away with at this level. There are a number of clubs who cannot compete in open play and rely heavily on their efficiency from set pieces. It will be the only way some teams can beat us. Plenty of time to fix it but it is a worry that 2 very, very averages sides have rolled us over this week from set pieces alone.

Regarding defending at corners why do we not leave 1/2 of our quicker players up front?
Remember when Diaz was here he used to leave 3 up front they have to be marked this means less congestion in our own box
Several times Stevens has claimed the ball but has to hold onto it because there is no outlet
Needs looking at
Totally agree with this. It's obviously not helping defensively having all 11 players in our own penalty area, and if the ball is cleared it just comes straight back at us as the only players to pick up the ball will be the opposition.

Also, as you say, it doesn't help us counter with any speed if we do get possession.
In the recent match against against QPR they left three up on the half way line at every corner and it really caused us problems when they broke quickly because of it.

I'd really like to hear KR's (not Scotchers) reasoning for always having 11 defending.

That’s what’s annoying and why people call KR stubborn - will we see anything different next game, will we leave 3 up and/or put a man or two on the posts? Or will we just keep doing the same things? (And maybe get lucky and not concede again, but maybe not) - I suspect the latter but we shall see…

I know it goes against the narrative of blaming Robinson, but having defenders on the post or not is nearly always down to the goalkeepers preference. Most modern goalkeepers prefer to keep the six yard box as clear as possible, which means leaving the posts unattended. Otherwise if you put one defender on the post you will likely see two players stood on Stevens toes and prevent him from getting out to the ball.

I know it goes against the narrative of blaming Robinson, but having defenders on the post or not is nearly always down to the goalkeepers preference. Most modern goalkeepers prefer to keep the six yard box as clear as possible, which means leaving the posts unattended. Otherwise if you put one defender on the post you will likely see two players stood on Stevens toes and prevent him from getting out to the ball.
You really need to start being balanced about KR.

Why are you more likely to see two players on Stevens toes if you have one defender on the post, am I missing something here? Surely, the tactics regarding defending corners, including putting people on the post would be a discussion between coaching staff with the Keeper. Ultimately being the coaches who decide how best to defend corners.

Why are you more likely to see two players on Stevens toes if you have one defender on the post, am I missing something here? Surely, the tactics regarding defending corners, including putting people on the post would be a discussion between coaching staff with the Keeper. Ultimately being the coaches who decide how best to defend corners.

Because attacking players know that they are less likely to be caught offside with defenders stood on the line. So they are encouraged to crowd the six yard box and the keeper. That's why you see very few teams start with defenders on the posts.

That’s fine if it’s working for you - but it’s not for us, we’re conceding a lot of goals at corners and something needs to change. A lot of the goals we’ve conceded have been looping into the far post which would be easily cleared by a man on the post. Also I’m not sure you can say that most modern teams don’t have men on the posts - I’ve seen many teams last season do it, at all levels.

Also you’ve conveniently ignored the comments about leaving men up when defending corners - something which is solely down to KR, would keep the box more clear of players (which you say goalkeepers want) and plenty of teams do. What’s your excuse for that?

That’s what’s annoying and why people call KR stubborn - will we see anything different next game, will we leave 3 up and/or put a man or two on the posts? Or will we just keep doing the same things? (And maybe get lucky and not concede again, but maybe not) - I suspect the latter but we shall see…
We could do something revolutionary and win the first ball. How many times do players posted on the posts really save the day? It happens, but it’s not an every game occurrence. I’m not sure it’s the solution but may be part of one.

Ultimately, we lack aggression across the back.

That’s fine if it’s working for you - but it’s not for us, we’re conceding a lot of goals at corners and something needs to change. A lot of the goals we’ve conceded have been looping into the far post which would be easily cleared by a man on the post. Also I’m not sure you can say that most modern teams don’t have men on the posts - I’ve seen many teams last season do it, at all levels.

Also you’ve conveniently ignored the comments about leaving men up when defending corners - something which is solely down to KR, would keep the box more clear of players (which you say goalkeepers want) and plenty of teams do. What’s your excuse for that?
There isn't an excuse for that. It makes perfect sense to stretch the play and keep defenders back - especially when we have players who are not great at defending corners. I'd always keep 2 up, with Holland/Whyte/Sykes the players most likely to profit.

Regarding defending at corners why do we not leave 1/2 of our quicker players up front?
Remember when Diaz was here he used to leave 3 up front they have to be marked this means less congestion in our own box
Several times Stevens has claimed the ball but has to hold onto it because there is no outlet
Needs looking at
Absolutely, madness not to leave at least one player up near the half way line. If you leave one of your quickest up the oppo would have to think about leaving two back.

Needs looking at

I used to love watching the opposition reaction to us leaving 3 up for a corner, it was normally one of complete confusion.

• React
Reactions: m
Because attacking players know that they are less likely to be caught offside with defenders stood on the line. So they are encouraged to crowd the six yard box and the keeper. That's why you see very few teams start with defenders on the posts.
Is that the case though? Normally if attacking players stand on the keeper, defenders follow to protect the keeper regardless of whether players are on the post or not. From what I can read it is more to do with taking defenders from elsewhere, increase in zonal marking and trying to defend the middle of the goal more.

Last edited:
I used to love watching the opposition reaction to us leaving 3 up for a corner, it was normally one of complete confusion.
Confused for sure, as we were at QPR. You could see we didn't know what to do or how many to keep back with them.

this popped up on a social media page a short while ago - I think its on the Ox Utd fan page on FB?.....

241390251_1591892767813410_9047424276815849738_n.jpg

Fact is that without Ruffles and Long we are an extremely small side . Moore is a giant , Thorniley not massive for a centre back , we play with a small target man ( Taylor or Winnall ) our midfield is small .
Going against teams that have a big target man , two or even three cenre backs then throw in another big midfielder than we are wildly at a disadvantage in the air .
This Sat will be a stern , stern test on how we defend set pieces.

A good theory, if you ignore the fact you can't be offside from a corner because the attacking team are all goalside of the ball when it is crossed in, you of course can't be offside when you are behind the ball. The only way you could get caught offside would be if the corner was swung out to the penalty spot, and you didn't move out with the defence - but in practice this is a very uncommon occurrence.

A good theory, if you ignore the fact you can't be offside from a corner because the attacking team are all goalside of the ball when it is crossed in, you of course can't be offside when you are behind the ball. The only way you could get caught offside would be if the corner was swung out to the penalty spot, and you didn't move out with the defence - but in practice this is a very uncommon occurrence.

It's more about the second ball. It's unlikely that anyone in or around the goal line would be making first contact, but a touch from any attacking player and there is greater risk of them being caught offside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom