Away Match Day Thread *** 4/8/2018 Barnsley FC v OUFC match day thread ***

Can’t recall losing 0-4 in the first game before, but I do think we were up against one of the favourites for promotion. If we can get a Ricky ahomes may well be different

Was just looking on Rageonline - in August 1979, we lost our first game of the season 5-1. At home. To Reading. It was only in the League Cup, but that competition also meant more then!

So the worst opening day scoreline for forty years (although taking everything into account, 3-0 at Barrow was probably worse.......)

It's only 3 points...
Roll on next week.
I think more important than the three points lost is the massive blow to our confidence and self-belief.
Or I’ll be positive: it was the wake-up call the team (and the supporters) needed. At the moment we’re really not that good, and need improving. If Robinson didn’t know that, he does now.

I think more important than the three points lost is the massive blow to our confidence and self-belief.
Or I’ll be positive: it was the wake-up call the team (and the supporters) needed. At the moment we’re really not that good, and need improving. If Robinson didn’t know that, he does now.
I don’t think the team and management will be panicking as much as some fans, they will learn and hopefully move on, will the fans.

I don’t think the team and management will be panicking as much as some fans, they will learn and hopefully move on, will the fans.
I agree. Some of the score predictions on the match thread before the match were in cloud cuckoo land.

Was just looking on Rageonline - in August 1979, we lost our first game of the season 5-1. At home. To Reading. It was only in the League Cup, but that competition also meant more then!

So the worst opening day scoreline for forty years (although taking everything into account, 3-0 at Barrow was probably worse.......)

IIRC Barrow was on a Friday night so, on balance, I'd agree it was worse.

I will reserve judgment until we’ve played around 10 games. We were top after 2 games last season and some of us got carried away but look at how that one panned out. A right old beating but a reality check for everyone I think.

Our August fixtures are quite tough. Completely agree we can't assess until the end of September / mid-October.

Exact response we would want from KR:

There was no hiding the frustration for Karl Robinson after Oxford United’s opening day defeat at Barnsley. The United boss was pulling no punches when he spoke to iFollow immediately after the game.
“It wasn’t a result anyone expected but it might be a good thing” he said.”I am telling you now that it won’t be the same team that plays at home to Fleetwood on Saturday.
“Barnsley outran us and outfought us. We lost every battle in midfield and didn’t win one tackle or header. Their centre backs battered our two strikers, our centre backs got bullied by their two strikers; those are the facts of the game. We worked on set pieces all week then people didn’t go in the right positions; those are facts not opinions and I was very straight with them as I always am.
“Sometimes you might come away from here losing 2-1 or 3-1 and say ‘we were close’ but today certainly showed us where we are weak. The transfer window closes on Thursday. We need to bolster the central midfield and now we are looking like being without Samir Carruthers for three months with a knee ligament injury he got in a tackle; nobody’s fault just the way the game is. Maybe some players think they are too safe. That’s certainly not the case.
“It was atrocious and I want to apologise to the fans who came and supported us. The dedication they showed us wasn’t replicated on the pitch. That’s the be all and end all- we didn’t show the commitment that our fans do and that is never ever going to be the case again.”

Let's all please give him a chance to rectify the situation. Let's remember Pep would have probably have claimed we played well.

Mightily disappointing that is for sure, but hey KR for all his over exuberant talk knows this league and he has had some success in the past.

It's only one game = Lessons learnt about the character of the players and the team as a whole, get it out of the way and move on come back stronger for it!! COYY's

Yes, KR is a good man & I for one have every faith in him. Let's hope our Chairman has the same faith & supports him in the next 72 hours!!

Yeah - must say my experience of Barnsley fans is that they aren’t a pleasant bunch at all. Classic gobby, cocky, Yorkshire fans.

Yep, that was pretty much my thought coming away - didn't much like them at Wembley and didn't much like them on Saturday. Might have just been me, but seemed a rough town with too many dickheads.

Can’t recall losing 0-4 in the first game before, but I do think we were up against one of the favourites for promotion. If we can get a Ricky ahomes may well be different

I remember going to Watford and losing 3-0
Was it the first game in Div 1?

Back
Top Bottom