Away Match Build Up 4/12/2021 L1: Sunderland v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunderland always seem to play better against us and we always seem to play worse, our record there is dismal and we last beat them in 1994.
I'd be absolutely fine with another 0-0...

Sunderland always seem to play better against us and we always seem to play worse, our record there is dismal and we last beat them in 1994.
Was that the 3-2 win from 2-0 down with us stuck in the corner of the ground? Tuesday or Wednesday night and a long but pleasant drive back I seem to remember.

I have been to Sunderland the last 2 years we have played there with fans and on both occasions we played very well, drawing both.
I would also settle for a draw.

Ideally I’d fine and suspend any player who harmed the club so unprofessionally , but clearly we won’t, as we need them to play.
This has been covered before but there’s a number of problems with that. A non-vaccinated player could still reduce their risk of catching COVID much more than a vaccinated player who is risky and reckless does. Plus what about all of the other ways players can be out injured - if a player doesn’t do the best possible rehab at home on a long term knee injury and doesn’t knock off the weeks and weeks from their recovery that top quality rehab work can - do they get fined and suspended too?

This has been covered before but there’s a number of problems with that. A non-vaccinated player could still reduce their risk of catching COVID much more than a vaccinated player who is risky and reckless does. Plus what about all of the other ways players can be out injured - if a player doesn’t do the best possible rehab at home on a long term knee injury and doesn’t knock off the weeks and weeks from their recovery that top quality rehab work can - do they get fined and suspended too?
Yeah I wasn’t meaning to start an argument again, just grumbling.

You do realise that we live in a democracy, right? It is every players democratic right to turn down the opportunity to be vaccinated.
That has nothing to do with democracy. Nothing!
They may have a right to not be vaccinated, but they don’t have a right to participate in football games unless it is granted to them.

Quite right!

Who the hell do people think they are to say people should be vaccinated. It’s a freedom of choice, and entirely up to individuals if they want to or not.
And entirely up to the club if they choose not to select the players on the same basis. I for one would be sympathetic to the club if they choose to follow that course of action.

Last edited:
You do realise that we live in a democracy, right? It is every players democratic right to turn down the opportunity to be vaccinated.
If you’re not a team player don’t play team games. Unless there is a good medical reason.

And entirely up to the club if they choose not to select the players on the same basis. I for one would be sympathetic to the club if they choose to follow that course of action.

Imagine a club, any club, deciding to not play a player because they exercise their democratic right to not be vaccinated. Can you imagine what that kind of stance could do to us as a club, when trying to attract new players?

Anyway, not wishing to derail the thread - S'land 1 Oxford 3.
875 Ox in attendance.

That has nothing to do with democracy. Nothing!
They may have a right to not be vaccinated, but they don’t have a right to participate in football games unless it is granted to them.
If it’s not a part of the players contract to be vaccinated, and it’s not a general legal requirement, then you can’t force them to be. Refusing to select them or fining them could be argued to be constructive dismissal.

If it’s not a part of the players contract to be vaccinated, and it’s not a general legal requirement, then you can’t force them to be. Refusing to select them or fining them could be argued to be constructive dismissal.

Nail on head.

If you’re not a team player don’t play team games. Unless there is a good medical reason.

I don't think it can be classed as black and white as you portray it.

Due to the nature of the pandemic, there has been no possibility to rigorously test the long term effects of having the vaccines. Nobody, can state what (if any) side effects there may be in 3/5/10 years time. With that in mind, who is anyone to state that somebody MUST have the vaccine in order to partake in their profession?

For arguments sake and strictly hypothetically speaking; if OUFC imposed compulsory vaccines on all players. What happens in 5 years time when one of those vaccinated players drops dead and it's proven to be as as a result of the vaccine* that was forced upon them?

All I'd ask is who's negligent? Who would the law suit come after?

*I appreciate that this is highly unlikely but using the example as nobody worldwide has seen what the side effects are of a 5 year vaccine, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom