Away Match Day Thread +++ 4/12/2019 Exeter City V OUFC EFL trophy +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, respectfully disagree.

If it isn’t a “tie”, there’s no need for a “tie-breaker”. If we’re talking ‘runs’, we can only compare like with like, and since not all of our 17 unbeaten games have the facility for extra time and pennos, we can only look at the 90 mins.

Crap performance appreciably, but I see no reason to denigrate this club and the great run we’re on. If it’s good enough for Oxford United, England (the FA), FIFA, Wikipedia....it’s good enough for me. You can argue the case with FIFA if you like!

299BFE77-C74B-4D35-AC93-B1B327C7E53C.jpeg

Again, respectfully disagree.

Significant difference; the game didn’t need a winner and didn’t get one, but the competition did.

If it isn’t a “tie”, there’s no need for a “tie-breaker”. If we’re talking ‘runs’, we can only compare like with like, and since not all of our 17 unbeaten games have the facility for extra time and pennos, we can only look at the 90 mins. If we broke the tie with “closest to the bull” or John Mousinho going up against their best in a game of slaps, I wouldn’t feel any less strongly that we hadn’t been beaten at football.

Crap performance appreciably, but I see no reason to denigrate this club and the great run we’re on. If it’s good enough for Oxford United, England (the FA), FIFA, Wikipedia....it’s good enough for me. You can argue the case with FIFA if you like!

So if we’re drawing 0-0 after 90 mins in a cup game which has extra time and we then concede 5 goals in extra time and so lose (yes, lose) 5-0 AET, you would still consider the unbeaten run to be going strong?

Well you can stick to FIFA and Wikipedia, I’ll go with Karl Robinson who said himself in his interview that the unbeaten run was over!

So if we’re drawing 0-0 after 90 mins in a cup game which has extra time and we then concede 5 goals in extra time and so lose (yes, lose) 5-0 AET, you would still consider the unbeaten run to be going strong?

No, of course not - we'd then have lost a game of football (just a slightly longer one).

Penalty shootouts aren't games of football - they're skills competitions that are used to break ties when a game doesn't have a winner (however long that game is).

No, of course not - we'd then have lost a game of football (just a slightly longer one).

Penalty shootouts aren't games of football - they're skills competitions that are used to break ties when a game doesn't have a winner (however long that game is).

That was in response to BigCrompy’s “we can only compare like with like, and since not all of our 17 unbeaten games have the facility for extra time and pennos, we can only look at the 90 mins”

I agree a penalty shootout isn’t part of a game of football, but it is related to football (penalties are a big part of the game and goals scored by a penalty are just as valid as any other type of goal [just ask Rob Duffy]) and when a game is decided by a penalty shoot out, one team wins that game, and one team loses.

Maybe stop all this rabbling about the intricacies of penalties and concentrate on the next run of 17 games unbeaten...starting on Saturday?
Just a thought...

I mean, just in case anyone arguing on this thread is Karl Robinson, one of the players, or anyone who actually has any impact or effect on anything then yes, please focus on the next game

It feels like we're in a parallel universe. Many months ago we would lose and the forum would collapse into a mess of negativity with me trying to convince everyone that things were ok!

Now we lose and the form goes into denial and a weird load of positivity, and I'm trying to convince everyone that we've lost!!

We lost! It's ok, but we lost!! Move on and go for 11 unbeaten in the league on Saturday!!!

Maybe we should consider the phrase 'unbeaten in 90 minutes'?

Reflecting on last night's game. We started really well. Forde and Sykes in CM were pinging good balls for the three front men to attack, and both full backs were getting forward to do the same. But after half an hour it had become obvious that Agyei, Mackie & Hall were just not making anything of the chances. And so we dropped further back, played cautiously and concentrated on defending well. So Exeter slowly got on top. Stevens marshalled the defence well and his positioning was pretty good so it was no surprise that it ended 0-0. The least then said about our three penalty kicks the better...
I don’t agree with that, I don’t think the defence was marshalled that well at all, there was an almighty mix up in the first half that we got away with.
Anyway, let’s get over it. After all, It’s no shame losing to Exeter reserves, eh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom