FA Cup 3rd round thread

Sarge

God like member
sadly no game for the U's .... but, the FA Cup 3rd round gets ( properly) underway today...

while TV companies are banging on about the romance of the FA cup, IMO , ( obvious covid related necessary tweaks excepted)
most of the so called romance of the worlds oldest cup competition has long gone, with replays (along with extra time in replays- albeit not in the now one off games) a thing of the past, with a penalty shoot out the decider if a match is drawn after '90' mins play.

Hopefully there will be a few surprises and shock results in round 3 over the course of the weekend, none of which happened in round 3 games already played

Covid weakened Villa bowed out, not unexpectedly, 1-4 to the bindippers last night

Wolves progressed to round 4 by beating Palace 1-0, also last night

Last edited:
Derby 3/1 against - I’ve put a bit on at those odds - very young team but.......

does anyone know the FA reasoning behind delaying a decision ( apparently until 'next' - presumably this forthcoming?- week), regarding the Southampton V Shrewsbury FA cup 3rd round match ? ..... as for other matches it appears the FA rule/ dictate of if there are 14 fit players ( on a clubs books) play or forfeit has already been applied

Ive not (yet) found any reason as to why the Southampton V Shrews is getting special treatment, though speculatively (on my part) it wouldn't have anything to do with a television broadcaster interfering, would it?

Villa's unsuccessful FA cup round 3 team from last nights game?136980671_3170600169707572_3238969787406270517_n.png

Half time scores from the early kick offs in the FA cup :-

Boreham Wood 0 -1 Millwall

Everton 1 -0 Rotherham

Luton 1 -0 Reading

Norwich 2-0 Coventry

Notts Forest 1 -0 Cardiff

Chorley 1 -0 Derby Co

Rotherham have equalised at Everton , currently 1-1

Millwall have got a second at Boreham Wood, now 0-2 up

Everton have restored their 1 goal lead over Rotherham, currently leading 2-1

Edit ... ^^fake update from BBC - still 1-1 atm ( on 90 mins)

FT early kick offs

Boreham Wood 0 -2 Millwall

Luton 1-0 Reading

Norwich 2-0 Coventry

Notts Forest 1-0 Cardiff

Everton V Rotherham -extra time 1-1 at 90 mins Everton 2-1 up on 95 mins

Chorley 2-0 Derby Co' .... with 5 min to play (of the 90)

Not the FA CupI know, but interesting league game between Lincoln and Peterborough. I’m not surprised that scummer Nathan Thompson has been sent off, what Is surprising is that he isn’t sent off more - he commits so many fouls and is constantly on the wind up.

After 5 additional minutes , Chorley beat Derby ( albeit covid weakened) 2-0

Just a bit of memorabilia really. Sixtieth anniversary (near enough ) of our FA Cup Tie at Filbert Street. Leicester City going well in the old First Division, United going VERY well in the Southern League. In the sixties it was quite unusual for a non league club to overcome league opposition.............in actual fact it was uncommon for a non league club to gain entry to the Football League. A sort of "old pals act " decided by Football League Chairman whether any change was necessary, usually not. I think United's performance at Leicester made people sit up and take notice. We lost 3 - 1 , but in actual fact ran them very close , with the highlight being Tony Jones firing past Gordon Banks late on. It was onwards and upwards for United from then on. Eighteen months later we were in the Football League. Too long ago for most on this Forum, but maybe a few might remember the day. "Onwards and Upwards" again, I hope.

Just a bit of memorabilia really. Sixtieth anniversary (near enough ) of our FA Cup Tie at Filbert Street. Leicester City going well in the old First Division, United going VERY well in the Southern League. In the sixties it was quite unusual for a non league club to overcome league opposition.............in actual fact it was uncommon for a non league club to gain entry to the Football League. A sort of "old pals act " decided by Football League Chairman whether any change was necessary, usually not. I think United's performance at Leicester made people sit up and take notice. We lost 3 - 1 , but in actual fact ran them very close , with the highlight being Tony Jones firing past Gordon Banks late on. It was onwards and upwards for United from then on. Eighteen months later we were in the Football League. Too long ago for most on this Forum, but maybe a few might remember the day. "Onwards and Upwards" again, I hope.
I can vaguely remember my Dad being a bit excited when reading the report in the green mail- spookily, he mentioned that game, along with the Blackburn Rovers 3-1 win , and subsequent close game ( and dodgy officials decisions) in the following round 1-2 loss to PNE, both at the Manor in 1964 , I was at both of those games- which both broke the Manor attendance records - when I was on the phone to him about ten mins ago

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom