32 years ago today!

Ox4Eva

One of the best days in my life and in the history of our great little club!

I was there with my sister who is no longer with us, and remember how the M40 was a sea of yellow and blue.

What's your memories?

I was two. My family was moving from one house in Abingdon to another in the same town. Lots of lugging boxes up and down stairs I imagine.

Good times.

I was two. My family was moving from one house in Abingdon to another in the same town. Lots of lugging boxes up and down stairs I imagine.

Good times.

We certainly boxed up QPR then lugged that cup round the national stadium! So pleased that I got to do Wembley with my dad before he passed away. In 1974 my mum suggested he took me to church ... he did .... his church ... up The Manor.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Unbelievably day from start to finish, one the best things about it was just the fact oufc were at Wembley.

I was there!!!!! I still remember the QPR fans who had brought in a coffin with United's logo on it traipsing away after the match still carrying it.:devilish::love::love::love:

Unfortunately for me I was not around to see the what was one of the greatest days in yellows history.

My mate's dad was meeting us at the game after running the London Marathon. He got there late as it took ages to get across London and in the 2nd half he had a bad cramp attack. He refused to ask for help until after Shotts lifted the Cup, then we got a steward for him.

The 3rd goal, I just remember bedlam afterwards and realising we were definitely going to win.

And driving back it was just one big party, the poor QPR fans mixed in with the Oxford traffic got a fair bit of stick.

Last edited:
Before my time unfortunately but it won't be too long before we're back up there!

Proper day out....from the huge banner instructing 'sing your hearts out for the lads high up on the hill on m40 before stokenchurch, the build up when Wembley was special (not a corperate cash cow that's home To the spuds)....score in a minute belting out from the yellow end of Wembley, of course we did .... 3 times....shotts dance in the horned cap after getting presented with the milk cup....singing you shouldve stayed at the manor to jimmy smith after he left the field...the sea of yellow n blue heading back to Oxford down the m40...yellow n blue on flyover crossing the m40.. ..one to never forget

I work with a QPR and reminded him of that day this morning. Back then I lived in Adderbury and we took a coach up from the village as we often did then. Although only 16 then I managed to get the odd lager along the way particularly later on.The joy when those goals went in I will never forget, great days. My boys will see the goals later so they see all to briefly what we were.?

An unforgettable day. Me and a couple of mates had the huge Union Jack with ‘Oxford United’ written over it, hanging over the players tunnel. It can be seen in a lot of the photos of the day. Even when the third goal went in I couldn’t totally relax until the ref blew his whistle. What a team we had then and what a great time to be a U’s fan. I often wonder how different it would’ve been if we’d had our ‘golden’ time during the premiership era. The media coverage back then was nowhere near what it is today. Nor the financial benefits!! Anyway ended the day in the Red Lion Eynsham for an almighty shindig. Followed a fortnight later with a party to celebrate division 1 survival. Great times..

I was already jumping up to celebrate before Trevor Hebberd scored....knew it was going in... He ran the whole game for Oxford. A true class player
My favourite ever OUFC player. Always remember a piece Brian Glanville of The Times wrote about the England 1986 World Cup squad.. " Trevor Hebberd of Oxford United is a far better player than Peter Reid of Everton and Hebberd should be on the plane to Mexico " . And Hebberd would have caught Maradona for the second goal. Which means England would have won the World Cup!!??!!

What a day! Lived in Warrington at the time and was on the train back up north after. Three QPR fans on board saw me and taunted, "Going down..." On a complete high I responded, "Maybe, but we still stuffed your lot!" Of course, we didn't go down.

My favourite ever OUFC player. Always remember a piece Brian Glanville of The Times wrote about the England 1986 World Cup squad.. " Trevor Hebberd of Oxford United is a far better player than Peter Reid of Everton and Hebberd should be on the plane to Mexico " . And Hebberd would have caught Maradona for the second goal. Which means England would have won the World Cup!!??!!

Yep, my fave too. Trouble is if you start recalling memories of Hebberd gliding through a match it brings the mediocrity of much of what followed him into perspective.

Last edited:
Brilliant day. From the excitement of getting up early that fine morning and seeing everyone on the way and around the ground. I had Trevor Hebberd to score the first goal at 16/1 as well, fookin marvellous! Remember people with scarves and flags as we arrived back by Neilsens, then it was party central at the Quarry Gate. Nobody wanted to go to work on the Monday but we dragged ourselves in so we could say “I was there”. Bloody magic!

We ended up back at the quarry gate, climbing up the pub sign and putting an oxford flag on top. Can’t remember what time we got out of there.

Back
Top Bottom