Home Match Day Thread +++ 31/08/2019 L1: OUFC vs Coventry City +++

It reminds me of when we were losing repeatedly under Pep but people were getting stupidly excited about our lovely passing.

Our less catatonic fans could probably just about tell the difference between George Thorne and Xemi Fernandez, between Chris Cadden and Dwight Tiendalli, between Matt Taylor and Gino van Kessel...and using their nous, harbour just a mite of hope that better things now are not too far around the corner.

No?

Our less catatonic fans could probably just about tell the difference between George Thorne and Xemi Fernandez, between Chris Cadden and Dwight Tiendalli, between Matt Taylor and Gino van Kessel...and using their nous, harbour just a mite of hope that better things now are not too far around the corner.

No?
Ricardinho was class though.

Very impressed with Oxford yesterday.

Deffo the best team we have faced this season and given us far more problems than anyone else in the league.

Our midfield was exposed badly in the second half and you dominated in the flanks in the main...hence the amount of crosses and corners.

Be surprised if you aren’t challenging for the Play Offs come the end of the season.

In terms of the trouble....it was mostly the usual verbals/gestures etc but at 2-0 your lot were struggling with the vocals and wind ups hence the feeble attempt to come across....stewards were very stand offish and at other grounds similar ‘intent’ might have brought about a fair few more ejections.

Can you please take out the drum as it is awful and frankly your fans really didn't need it yesterday.

After six league games we are one point better off than at this time last season. We simply got our points this season at the start of the first six games rather than at the end. And we’re at home to a PL club in the third round of the cup, so it’s eerily similar on paper.

We do however appear to have a better balanced squad and have played well enough in a couple of games especially to have a few more points on the board, but we really need to tighten up defensively. Much like most of last season we currently need two goals just to stand a chance of getting a point - we can’t carry that on for months on end again. It’s all very exciting and provides a lot of drama but it’s about points on the board, and we need to make sure that we aren’t ten games in and already ten points off the playoff pack.

We’re desperately lacking pace going forward - that ability to simply push the ball out in front and run past somebody without it needing to be about timing and the perfect pass. Hopefully Agyei provides a bit of that.

I don’t think anybody really knows where we are or where we’re going yet. I think we’re another four or five matches away from getting a handle on what to expect from the season overall.

I don’t think Cadden can be dropped after that game can he - basically was our main outlet down the right and for us back into the game!

Henry doesn’t always track his man back or have the pace to get back. And our centre midfielders go missing at times.
I wonder if playing Cadden at Right Wing would work with Long at RB and Henry down the middle

After six league games we are one point better off than at this time last season. We simply got our points this season at the start of the first six games rather than at the end. And we’re at home to a PL club in the third round of the cup, so it’s eerily similar on paper.
Mmm.
Last season we had 5 points after 11 games so to start like last season we need to have a seriously bad run.
The points number is poor and defensively we need to tighten up a lot.
But whereas last season we were hammered by Barnsley and Pompey in the first few games, this we have hammered Blackpool (well should have) and were the better team against Coventry (their manager and most supporters seen to agree)
The key thing is that Taylor , Agyei and hopefully Thorne ( plus Baptiste) are to come in and this will make us a far better team I suspect.

Having had a bit of time to think about yesterdays match, I think it was a very very mixed bag.

Positives:
Very good in the second half and patches in the first
Baptiste getting more time on the pitch
Excellent attitude to keep going for a point (twice!).
Cadden's attacking.
Henry - did very well in not his best position IMO.
Brannagan
The crossing
Fosu
A couple of Eastwood's saves
The crowd once we started to come back into it
Another enjoyable match
Some good players to come back into the team
A strong bench
Indications that we will do better soon.

Negatives:
Conceding a silly number of goals again.
The lack of pace in the side
The still glaring lack of a proper striker on the pitch (despite Mackie's excellent goal!)
The striker 'roster' (as our US friends and new overlords might say) is still thin even when the two injured are back/start.
Much of the first half, when we played too slowly.
Eastwood's (presumably) positioning of the wall.
Seemingly having to be behind before we get our arses into gear.
Cadden's defending (is he actually a midfielder a la Garbutt?)
Inability to really threaten from a huge number of corners.
Only taking a point at home despite playing well and scoring three (with help admittedly!)
Some pillocks in the crowd
You don't get extra points for playing well but not winning.

There are probably more in each category! As I said - very very mixed. It will be interesting to see how/what Agyei does on Tuesday (although I won't be there to watch).

After the first three games, I was saying to my Prem-supporting mates that, while we were thin on the ground with striking options, at least we had a rock solid defence to keep us steady while we were trying to bring in the Matty Taylors and Dan Agyeis.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and it's all gotten very shaky at the back. Both of our good runs of form last year came from fixing issues at the back, and keeping things simple.

I do like that the players seem to be taking responsibility for their mistakes and weaknesses. I don't like that we're still a couple of weeks away from having players like Elliot Moore and Ben Woodburn being able to properly gel into this team, but at least there are signs of promise.

The other thing is that the teams we earned points against (Sunderland, Peterborough, Coventry) are the teams that also like to play 'proper' football. I still don't know if we have a gameplan for the Wimbledons and Wycombes of the league.

Well feelings run high especially in the lower leagues we’re proper fans from the local area, people take exception when away fans take the P**s or try too. The atmosphere was the best I’ve seen in ages at the Kassam once we got going and got our first goal Bottles were thrown by cov fans when They scored maybe that started the who ha!!!

If you are one of them and it sounds as if you are it's best that you P*ss off, we don't want people like you at our club. Maybe you can come back when you grow up, if you ever do.

If you are one of them and it sounds as if you are it's best that you P*ss off, we don't want people like you at our club. Maybe you can come back when you grow up, if you ever do.
Something of nothing yesterday, verbal testosterone. i understand if small kids find that a lttle daunting...but if you take a seat a few rows from the away fans then you will get that sometimes...choose a seat in the other 95% of the ground...

Something of nothing yesterday, verbal testosterone. i understand if small kids find that a lttle daunting...but if you take a seat a few rows from the away fans then you will get that sometimes...choose a seat in the other 95% of the ground...
To be fair though, low-achieving youths wanting to attack other youths from a nearby town because they are watching a football match is one of the most tragic things going

After the first three games, I was saying to my Prem-supporting mates that, while we were thin on the ground with striking options, at least we had a rock solid defence to keep us steady while we were trying to bring in the Matty Taylors and Dan Agyeis.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and it's all gotten very shaky at the back. Both of our good runs of form last year came from fixing issues at the back, and keeping things simple.

I do like that the players seem to be taking responsibility for their mistakes and weaknesses. I don't like that we're still a couple of weeks away from having players like Elliot Moore and Ben Woodburn being able to properly gel into this team, but at least there are signs of promise.

The other thing is that the teams we earned points against (Sunderland, Peterborough, Coventry) are the teams that also like to play 'proper' football. I still don't know if we have a gameplan for the Wimbledons and Wycombes of the league.
To be fair though, low-achieving youths wanting to attack other youths from a nearby town because they are watching a football match is one of the most tragic things going
Probably is ... but grown men getting worked up about it on a forum is just as tragic.

Back
Top Bottom