Home Match Day Thread +++ 31/08/2019 L1: OUFC vs Coventry City +++

So you think Gorrin saw Godden run past him from midfield (from a way away, not even close) and thought - "ah, he's number 9, and their main goalscoring threat, so not my problem"?! That's crazy, it doesn't matter who the players are, if they're in your position and no-one else is around, you deal with them. If Godden was out wide should the fullbacks not tackle him or cut out his crosses? If a striker is out wide should the centre backs charge out and tackle them?

I'm not sure what Moore was doing, yes maybe he was at fault, you can't really see him in the replay. But Gorrin clearly lets the runner through from midfield, a runner who is right in front of him. Dickie then has to leave his man to deal with this new threat. In this specific instance, he makes a defensive error which leads to a goal.

The hunt is on for a scapegoat, that’s the issue. I don’t think for one minute if Godden heads that over the crowds reaction is .....“What were you thinking of Gorrin letting him wander into the 6 yard box”....like I said earlier - and it’s only my opinion - I think a VVD, a Maguire, an Alderverald take care of that situation and deal with it comfortably.

Leave Henry and Cadden...something magical is starting there.
just worry Cadden leaves us defensively exposed at the moment, no doubting he's a great player, think Long would really help out a defence low on confidence and a new CB partnering, maybe only give long a short run in the team and then put Cadden back in at RB, also think Mous in CM would help help the defence, Id try a lineup like this, think this lineup would help defence and keep the attacking output

Eastwood
Long Dickie Moore Ruffles
Mous Brannagan
Henry
Cadden Mackie Fosu

With the likes of Woodburn, Ageyi (however you spell it), Forde, Hall, Gorrin, Baptiste, Hanson and Thorne to pick from to fill the bench should make for a great team

just worry Cadden leaves us defensively exposed at the moment, no doubting he's a great player, think Long would really help out a defence low on confidence and a new CB partnering, maybe only give long a short run in the team and then put Cadden back in at RB, also think Mous in CM would help help the defence, Id try a lineup like this, think this lineup would help defence and keep the attacking output

Eastwood
Mous Brannagan
Henry
Cadden Mackie Fosu

With the likes of Woodburn, Ageyi (however you spell it), Forde, Hall, Gorrin, Baptiste, Hanson and Thorne to pick from to fill the bench should make for a great team
I think youd lose caddens effectiveness if he played further up...the play into feet and overlaps have been a joy and will only get better.

Eastwood
Mous Brannagan
Henry
Cadden Mackie Fosu

Great teams are often built on great partnerships all over the pitch and the Cadden/Henry pairing is the best we’ve had since Baldock/Macdonald on the right and it’s wreaking havoc at the minute. We need to build others rather than break up the one settled one we have.

The Dickie/Moore one needs work but it’s in its infancy and will settle down. Could do with trying to get Ruffles and Fosu having a similar impact down left. Both excellent players but haven’t had neither the same impact or - in fairness - game time as Cadden and Henry.

Hopefully Woodburn or Baptiste and Taylor can ultimately get something going and then just want to get someone settled in alongside Brannagan and we will have an excellent eleven and strong bench very similar to the sort of team and bench that virtually picked itself when we went up under Mapp.

Hugely agree with missing the "anchor" in midfield and that sureing us up at the back.

I thought Kashi was brilliant at is last season, was gutted not to keep him. Mous, Hanson, Baptiste? Someone has to play this "kashi" anchor role

I’m not sure I buy in to this ‘their keeper had a blinder’ narrative. He made a decent save from Forde’s header, but I’d have been disappointed if Eastwood let that in, plus a very good save for Gorrin. Don’t remember any others...

Saying that, I really appreciate what Robinson is trying to build and I hope it all clicks as we could be very good to watch whilst being successful.

Great teams are often built on great partnerships all over the pitch and the Cadden/Henry pairing is the best we’ve had since Baldock/Macdonald on the right and it’s wreaking havoc at the minute. We need to build others rather than break up the one settled one we have.

The Dickie/Moore one needs work but it’s in its infancy and will settle down. Could do with trying to get Ruffles and Fosu having a similar impact down left. Both excellent players but haven’t had neither the same impact or - in fairness - game time as Cadden and Henry.

Hopefully Woodburn or Baptiste and Taylor can ultimately get something going and then just want to get someone settled in alongside Brannagan and we will have an excellent eleven and strong bench very similar to the sort of team and bench that virtually picked itself when we went up under Mapp.
Havent really paid much attention to the partnership, if it is too good to break up, as some on here have suggested, then maybe Mousinho in midfield along side Brannagan would work, or using 2 defensive DM's, Gorrin and Baptiste, and then playing Brannagan in a more advanced role

IMO it's wreaking havoc at both ends of the pitch though. As an attacking force it's effective. As a defensive one it is dreadful. If Cadden is going to be marauding that far forward (and I agree that's his main strength) then he has to have someone in front of him in midfield who is better at covering him when he does than Henry has shown. Now (again IMO of course) Henry had a fine game on Saturday in what is perhaps not his best position (that's more central) but one thing he did not do - and indeed that might have made him less effective as an attacker- was dropping back behind Cadden. If he is not going to do that and we persist with Henry in front of Cadden then another player - probably from the midfield - has to be given the responsibility of dropping into the right back position when there is a bloody great hole there. Maybe Hanson?
There is certainly an argument for playing Cadden as the midfielder, with Long/Hanson behind him with Henry more central. At the moment surely the pressing need is to stop the opposition scoring quite so many (soft) goals.

I think youd lose caddens effectiveness if he played further up...the play into feet and overlaps have been a joy and will only get better.

It’s because Henry doesn’t cover if Cadden goes forward/overlaps that’s causing the issue which allows easy delivery into the box.

Add to this that Moore (mainly) seems to lose his man in the aerial arena that has led to a few goals.

I feel if we had pace on the flanks this would make the oppositions wide men more reluctant to get forward, thus reducing the crosses and hopefully goals.

Sorry but what a load of old toot. Henry was all over the pitch on Saturday. Plus Cadden is quick, he's been up against some speedsters already this season and not lost a single foot race. Do not change the right hand side pairing

Quiet a lot of our problems this season are down to being attacked right through the middle. I am not convinced about Gorrin's positional awareness. Ruffs has also not been on his game; this could be partly down to the left midfielder whether it be Ford or Fosu not doing their share of defensive work - or certainly in Fosu's case being given a licence to roam by Robinson. We play cavalierly and leave gaps.

This is worth a listen.

Steve Ogrizovic aka “ big Oggy “ was very complimentary towards Oxford
all the way through the Sky Blues ‘phone in on BBC Coventry & Warwicks.
Big Oggy was waxing lyrical about ChrissyCadds and Henry and mentioned
how good Fosu and Baptiste were when introduced.

There is a longer post match interview with Mark Robins where he stated that
James Henry was the best player on the pitch.

They'd have to have brains to be able to do that
Hello and welcome to the Outdated Stereotype show, this week well be dealing with trouble at football matches. First of all I'd like to introduce 'Brainless' please give him a warm welcome. Later we'll be joined by 'Unemployed', 'Drunk' and the ever popular 'Racist'

Last edited:
just watched the whole match on ifollow with radox commentary and I must admit I was very impressed.Brannagan has got to be up there with some of our best midfielders he was awesome everywhere on the pitch and I think Gorrin is a very able sidekick. Henry and Cadden had them on the ropes I dont understand the criticism Cadden gets for his defensive duties I thought he did everything well and will be a big miss in the new year. Dickie and Fosu were also very good hopefully Woodburn will start imposing his obvious talent. All in all a very encouraging performance I know its going to get better as players like Baptiste get up to speed. COYY

just watched the whole match on ifollow with radox commentary and I must admit I was very impressed.Brannagan has got to be up there with some of our best midfielders he was awesome everywhere on the pitch and I think Gorrin is a very able sidekick. Henry and Cadden had them on the ropes I dont understand the criticism Cadden gets for his defensive duties I thought he did everything well and will be a big miss in the new year. Dickie and Fosu were also very good hopefully Woodburn will start imposing his obvious talent. All in all a very encouraging performance I know its going to get better as players like Baptiste get up to speed. COYY

Agree re Cadden defensively!

Back
Top Bottom