Away Match Day Thread +++ 3/11/2018 Scunthorpe United v OUFC +++

We havent defended set pieces well now for 18m. I wonder what they do on the training ground. Mindboggling

Absolutely spot on.

We don’t defend set pieces very well. So stop giving them away needlessly!

Funny Robinson says he knows what’s wrong but let’s see. We need a couple of good strikers for sure but it’s conceded goals that we must sort out. We have good players but together there’s something missing.
It’s like we put all the ingredients into our cake but forgot the sugar!

… there's something missing? …. Quite simply, that is good, effective, simple management

I think we are better with NORMAN. More attacking options and for me he was the best player in early season. KR needs to make peace.

Mous has been better in midfield than in defence but I would drop him back into CB and move Dickie to LB, bringing back Norman into RM. Henry plays slightly more central with Holmes and Branagan. Whyte moves to inside right and we have Mackie up front making space for the midfield. After 55-60 minutes, to make sure they remain match fit you have to take off Holmes and Mackie. Too many times this year KR has left them on too long. Replace with Browne and Smith/Granger - look at the bench yesterday. Seriously weak of attacking options. When Browne is fit he has to start - probably replacing Branagan, who then comes on to replace Holmes early second half. Simple and miles more options in midfield.

Big disappointment but being pragmatic, at 3-0 KR says "just continue what you are doing", same at 3-1 and even the same at 3-2. At 3-3 he knows it has gone tits up in a mad 7 minutes and he must be thinking that @50 mins we were the better team by 3 goals, so just continue what are doing. Not sure would have done anything differently, but he is always too slow to bring on impact subs, who end up being asked to perform miracles with just 10 minutes. Everyone else seems to see when a player is out on his feet and has nothing more to give, except our Karl.

The sports psychologist, in the first week of his job and having only introduced his first words of encouragement at half time must already be a broken man, and rumour has it is the most recent addition to our infirm, having been last seen foaming at the mouth, being ambulanced under restraint, mumbling incoherently about Blackpool illuminations and Tower. I feel for him.

Whatever happens from here, I beg never again to be subjected to another 35 minutes of second half pain like that. It reminded me of being hammered every week in L2. For once, sods law, yellow player worked flawlesssly throughout the entire pantomine :-(
Is this a woosh? Our back 6 (including Mous at CDM) has been miles better than when Mous was at CB. And when has Dickie ever been considered a LB? Ruffels has been really good there recently. Why on earth do you think this would work?

What happened yesterday has opened up a whole new debate:

1) Are we now turning the corner and starting to show what a good team we are and yesterday was just a blip caused by bad luck and/or just one of those quirky events that sometimes happen?
2) Did it highlight fundamental flaws in the squad due to poor recruitment and/or coaching? Does the whole thing need to be torn up and rebuilt in January to avoid a long difficult fight against relegation?

Is this a woosh? Our back 6 (including Mous at CDM) has been miles better than when Mous was at CB. And when has Dickie ever been considered a LB? Ruffels has been really good there recently. Why on earth do you think this would work?

What a load of nonsense
All our goals yesterday and last week have come from the tight side mostly via McMahon

Credit has to go to tge lads free kick for the second goal.
Totally changes the game

Credit has to go to tge lads free kick for the second goal.
Totally changes the game

Yeah the second was an absolute hammer blow which just turned our panic mode up another few notches. The third at that point was almost inevitable. I actually thought we were going to lose, so a little bit of credit has to be given for not losing that match.

Last edited:
I don’t think yesterday’s collapse was rocket science
Silly fouls committed, inexperience from brannigan (esp for their 2nd goal) who otherwise was having a great game again

What happened yesterday has opened up a whole new debate:

1) Are we now turning the corner and starting to show what a good team we are and yesterday was just a blip caused by bad luck and/or just one of those quirky events that sometimes happen?
2) Did it highlight fundamental flaws in the squad due to poor recruitment and/or coaching? Does the whole thing need to be torn up and rebuilt in January to avoid a long difficult fight against relegation?

Download.jpg

The first 50 seconds are good, then it goes downhill ......

Their first and third goals are both terrible defending. Amateurish!
The second is a nice free kick, however. And credit must go to Scunny as well for the fightback.

Highlights make it seem we were very very lucky to draw in the end! Some guilt edge chances being missed by Scunthorpe at 3-3

Dickie at left back, I’ve heard it all now ????

I was gutted yesterday but after a deep breath and a gallon of alcohol things don’t seem as bad.

Agree that it’s unacceptable to draw a game when you’re 3-0 up but a points not the end of the world!!!! It’s all part and parcel of being an Oxford fan and I’m willing to bet that by January we will be mid table and I didn’t think I’d be saying that 6-7 games ago!!

The third goal sums up our luck. Header cleared off the line - good distance too. First Scunny player swings a boot and totally scuffs his shot. Does it fall harmlessly- not a chance; it wrong foots everyone but becomes a perfect pass for Goode to lash the ball home before anyone can react (took it well though).

Definitively a day where the footballing gods were not smiling on us.......

Look back at this season and most of our goals against are conceded through set pieces. We just haven't been great at defending them.

In terms of the January transfers, as well as the striker(s), id be very surprised if a new centre-half doesn't come in.
Was thinking the same ..much as I generally like Dickie ..he always has the costly error in his game...our turnover of CHs has been high since JW and Dunks and they received their own criticism

Was thinking the same ..much as I generally like Dickie ..he always has the costly error in his game...our turnover of CHs has been high since JW and Dunks and they received their own criticism

Dickie is not my first choice but he does okay, but what happens if we lose him or Nelson? Mouse has been a worry in that position and Raglan it would appear is way down the pecking order.

I remember us being 3-0 up against Scumdon and Peterborough and losing both leads, drawing 3-3 (in the same season). 1980ish. I remember winning 4-3 after being 3-0 down, too (can't remember who it was against). Best game I ever saw, was the 5-4 home game against Bury in 1967. Their keeper was called Ramsbottom, which I thought was hilarious (I was only 10!). Yesterday made me feel totally dejected (like you lot, too). But at least we reached a milestone, in getting our millionth league goal (whatever).

Back
Top Bottom