Home Match Day Thread 2ND ATTEMPT ...fan power - ultras upset tiger

I think it will have embarrassed Tiger as anyone he invites as guests to the Directors' box will ask "why were the flags upside down"? Similarly I doubt the other Directors will enjoy being associated with this.

Although I'm sure after many years in business they will all have thick skins and not particularly give a damn what people say until it hits them financially or repujtationally.

I think it will have embarrassed Tiger as anyone he invites as guests to the Directors' box will ask "why were the flags upside down"? Similarly I doubt the other Directors will enjoy being associated with this.

Although I'm sure after many years in business they will all have thick skins and not particularly give a damn what people say until it hits them financially or repujtationally.

thick skinned and then some ...a tiger with the hide of a rhino, as we already know via his 'avoidance' of most direct questions asked

Being embarrassed visually, that has seemed to have hit home, and hit hard ... good call by the ultras and more power to them I say

same again for the Sunderland home game?;)

I say fair play to the ultras for expressing themselves with this banner, however I would be careful in thinking this kind of thing is representitive and supported by the whole fan base. There has certainly been teething problems with tiger's regime both on and off the pitch but I feel the supporters should get fully behind him. Why??? Well, I feel people have short memories. We've certainly been in worse positions. Rember the early 90's, people preparing food parcels for the players and those yellow collection buckets on the pitch at half time. In reality, we're quite lucky to have a backer like tiger.

The interesting bits, for me anyway, this admission by KR:

"And despite the backing, Robinson admitted there were big lessons to learn from January.

He said: “We’ve seen in this window what it might take to get a player of a certain level of quality.

“I think it’s been a reality check and I think we will take note of that as a football club."

As I said before - Really? Are we supposed to believe that you have only just learnt this?
That depends on how you interpret what was said, KR might be eluding to how OUFC is viewed by other clubs and players, there is a certain section of our fans who think we should be challenging in the championship, the reality is we are a medium sized 3rd teir club, maybe that's why we didn't get our 2 main striking targets, 1 decided to go south the other decided to stay put, we are not the draw some of our fans think.

That depends on how you interpret what was said, KR might be eluding to how OUFC is viewed by other clubs and players, there is a certain section of our fans who think we should be challenging in the championship, the reality is we are a medium sized 3rd teir club, maybe that's why we didn't get our 2 main striking targets, 1 decided to go south the other decided to stay put, we are not the draw some of our fans think.

Exactly this. Fans need to have a reality check when it comes to expectations of the club. Yes it would be nice to go up to the championship but we would end up coming straight back down.

You have clubs such as Fleetwood that whether we like it or not have a bigger budget than us.
You then have clubs like Sunderland and Pompey who are massive clubs in this league who can afford to buy the best and offer the best contracts.

Fans continually go on about having no assests, no ground of our own and the stupidly high rent we pay kassam yet the same fans moan when we can’t afford to get our top targets.

Fans who keep wanting tiger to spend and spend will be the same ones moaning when we really are a financial mess or when Tiger wants all his money back.

Exactly this. Fans need to have a reality check when it comes to expectations of the club. Yes it would be nice to go up to the championship but we would end up coming straight back down.

You have clubs such as Fleetwood that whether we like it or not have a bigger budget than us.
You then have clubs like Sunderland and Pompey who are massive clubs in this league who can afford to buy the best and offer the best contracts.

Fans continually go on about having no assests, no ground of our own and the stupidly high rent we pay kassam yet the same fans moan when we can’t afford to get our top targets.

Fans who keep wanting tiger to spend and spend will be the same ones moaning when we really are a financial mess or when Tiger wants all his money back.

What you are saying about the size of the club may be right, however, that is missing the point entirely. Tiger has made it clear again and again that he has ambition for the club. Ambition in football costs.
He has stated that he is willing to pay for the right player. I expect him to abide by what he has stated, publicly, and on several occasions.

And, maybe you have forgotten the history of this club. For many years we played in the second tier and rose to the first. No Sky tv then and no huge payments so, yes, we did slide back down through lack of finance. And, if Sunderland and Portsmouth are such big clubs, what are they doing in the same division as us?

And, if Sunderland and Portsmouth are such big clubs, what are they doing in the same division as us?
One of them was run abysmally and filled with sub standard players, and the other one went bankrupt and shouldn’t really still be operational. They are now both on their way back up because they’ve been sorted out. Bit like our time in the Conference, really.

Pretty sure they’re bigger clubs than us. Let’s not be daft. Especially when we’re pushing to get 10k at home to one of them while they had over 40,000 at Christmas!

Sunderland and Portsmouth are big clubs but sadly it would seem to come down to how much money the chairman is prepared to spend. Bournemouth, for example. They are probably a similar size club to us in terms of stadium and fan base but the difference is the owner has deep pockets. Its what every club wants but obviously it's not going to happen for every club. We can only dream....

i'll let you work out what's wrong with that !

What you are saying about the size of the club may be right, however, that is missing the point entirely. Tiger has made it clear again and again that he has ambition for the club. Ambition in football costs.
He has stated that he is willing to pay for the right player. I expect him to abide by what he has stated, publicly, and on several occasions.

And, maybe you have forgotten the history of this club. For many years we played in the second tier and rose to the first. No Sky tv then and no huge payments so, yes, we did slide back down through lack of finance. And, if Sunderland and Portsmouth are such big clubs, what are they doing in the same division as us?

He has proved he is willing to pay for the right player by paying fees for Brannagan, Dickie, Sykes and Hanson. In fact I'd suggest he has paid out more on fees than Eales or Lenegan did in their whole time at the club.

Yes part of our history has seen us spend time in the top 2 divisions but we have also spent the last 20 years in the bottom 2 professional leagues and non league.

Maybe you have forgotten how our success in the era was funded, or maybe not as it was so long ago.

All I want from him is for him to tell us why he is here and to run the club professionally.

Not much to ask, but clearly beyond him on both counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having never seen us any higher than L1 I don’t really expect anything other than a well run and where possible sustainable club that occassionally punches above its weight (like we did under Eales & Appleton from time to time).

Instead I see a club owned (I assume he owns it now or is it still loaned?) by a guy on the other side of the world who has a limited grasp of English, a seemingly limited grasp of financial regulations and limited finances who doesn’t appear to know what he’s doing.

I don’t care what money he chucks about in transfer fees and whether it’s any more or less than any previous owner.

They may not have spent the same amount on fees (allegedly) as Tiger but neither Eales or Lanegan had winding up petitions chucked their way.

He’s a joke (a bad one) and unfortunately for the time being he’s responsible for the club I love.

Don't forget that Bournemouth were a smaller club than us playing in this league until they got owners who were willing to match their ambition with investment. They have also managed to do it playing in a stadium more appropriate to League 1 than the Premier league.

Back
Top Bottom