Away Match Day Thread 29/12/2020 L1 Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Staff member
Last game of 2020, hopefully a win. Argyle are a footballing team and will not line up 9-1-1. They play good football but have a leaky defence, lets hope we can find a way to goal.

Very pleased if we avoid defeat. Not sure why so many on here are so optimistic. Happy to be proved wrong.

Point would be a very good outcome. I’d be trying a more robust 4-5-1.

Stevens

Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels

Clare Henry Hanson McGuane Obita

Taylor

Eastwood Jones Brannagan Forde Winnall Kelly Shodipo

Somehow doubt I’ll be right, though!

Will be won or lost depending on how the midfield plays, and whether Ruffs plays well (or at least better).
To be honest am amazed that fans are allowed in, but happy for them.
With Eastwood, Clare, Moore, Long, Ruffels I would have said 2-0 or 3-0 to them. As it is I firmly believe we can nick something.

feeling optomistic .... a not so easy 0-2 away win Taylor & Moore

No reason to be pessimistic. We are now confident at the back so am expecting a clean sheet. Just a matter of how many we can score. I can see a 0-3 tonight. Looking forward to ifollow and a relaxing entertaining evening.

It’s a tough one as to who to replace Gorrin as there’s no real natural fit.

The way we play they need to be comfortable picking up the ball deep and pinging short passes around the place - that’s why Kashi was so good there. The problem is, none of our candidates are really comfortable doing that - both Hanson and Kelly seem to thrive further forwards. I’m sure it will be one of them, but I’m worried that it won’t really suit. Not sure who else you could put there though, Ruffels is too used to left back now, Henry was tried there once and it only sort of worked, Brannigan isn’t fit, Forde is out of favour and McGuane would be wasted somewhat.

Listening his interview I think Robinson will go with Hanson, and I hope he does well as a fit, firing and biting Hanson could upgrade us as a team if he replaces Kelly moving forwards.

Very pleased if we avoid defeat. Not sure why so many on here are so optimistic. Happy to be proved wrong.
Could be because we haven't lost in six and are showing signs of improvement, and Plymouth's form is not that good.

I'd go:

Stevens

Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels

Henry Hanson McGuane

Clare Taylor Obita​

We lack pace up front, so put Clare there (his proper position) and move Henry back, to where he is more suited (but lucky to stay in the team).
Give Hanson a chance i guess.

If there a decent footballing team we should play like we did against mk dons and let them have the ball and hit them on the counter could be an interesting game

Two sides trying to play themselves into form. Plymouth seem dangerous on their left, look quite sharp going forwards on local tv highlights.

I really don't think us sitting back and playing for a point is the best idea.

I have to say that starting with Hanson in central defensive midfield fills me with foreboding, but Kelly isn't brilliant there either. It does make me wonder whether a DM is something we should be looking for in January - Brannagan is better further forward, and the way Gorrin tackles you'd have to think he will miss matches in the season due to suspensions.

We look far more convincing going forward than trying to shut up shop, so let's hope we are on the front foot tonight.

I would gladly take a point right now. If we could get a win i'd be ecstatic. If we lose then i'd be gutted. Result is more important than performance. COYY

I’m in two minds for this one. It should be an opportunity as Plymouth are a side you’d put down as finishing no higher than 12th but clear of the relegation places so a side that has serious ambitions for a playoff place should be beating them. On the other hand, we’re a key position short for a long away trip and the opposition are rebuilding themselves after a run of rotten results. Their last two results have been positive ones and our unbeaten run is padded out with a fair number of draws.

A draw wouldn’t be a bad result at all. Play as badly as we did for 65 minutes like we did against Wimbledon and we’ll be relying on the heroics of Stevens again. Play as well as well as we did for the first 25 minutes, we’ll be in business. Who knows what will happen?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom