Away Match Day Thread +++ 29/08/2020 Friendly Brentford v OUFC+++

FT 2-2 Osei with both Oxford goals. Another good pre season friendly.

Said it before the Benrahma of Lge 1.
Love McGuane. Shows passion commitment and drive with the ball. A very powerful player, and he and Brannagan are going to form a massive partnership in the middle of midfield.
Would have liked to see KR’s potential starting 11 have at least 45 together but we haven’t seen that and with our next game our first competitive game we may not start as well as we know we could with the players we have.

Interesting final few minutes. We were really going for it. Osei-Yaw could well be a find.

I’ll sort of forgive their ‘commentary’ since it was mainly for the benefit of Brentford fans. However, present yourselves better and make it sound like commentary rather than a few mates having a chat.

Some countries' players couldn't grasp the simplicity of it.
What about the rule in front of the ref you can travel from where the ball went out in your half some 7-8 yards but the throw is allowed 5 yards into your half

One thing to watch is that when Kelly is on the pitch the players take the easy way out and give him the ball, even if it’s not necessary or the best option. Their first thought is always to give it to him and then all happens is there’s lots of shuffling about, with very little forward movement or intent. This then causes a second central midfielder to drop deep in search of the ball, thus removing an attacking option. That’s categorically not Kelly’s fault, that’s the players going overboard on giving him possession every ten seconds. When he went off that easy option disappeared, and we started playing balls forward and into channels. Gorrin is pretty much just there to press, intercept and cover any defensive player who moves up the pitch, meaning other players have to use the ball rather than hand it over constantly.

Very much looking forward to some competitive football again now, starting in the cup on Saturday.

I'm getting slight emperor's new clothes vibes with Clare. He's fine but nothing particularly special from what I've seen. Certainly doesn't seem to be the revolutionary attacking presence that Cadden was, which was the role I was under the impression he had been brought in to play.

Good strong finish from the lads and we could easily have won it in the end, another good workout.

Today did not show anything we did not already know
Mous - passed it and for the life of me why did we offer a new contract
Hall - passed it - if played as a winger and for the life of me why did we offer a new contract
Henry - lack of pace is starting to be a factor
Have we cover at left back - no

The key for me and the turning point is when Bran came on - he injected the pace and urgency into our game - ok its a friendly but pre that playing nice passing circles without threatening.

Am starting to feel positive though 90 % of the post is not !

Not sure what to think about that game. If it was a league game, you'd be coming away delighted at nicking a point after not playing well for the majority of the game.

Agree with @RyanioBirdio on the Kelly thing. Reminded me a bit of when we had Murray/Chapman and every move seemed to have to start with them.
In the first half, when Brentford ran at us, the midfield and defence just seemed to merge into one big blob with players getting in each others way.

Much better in the final 15-20 mins as we looked to get in down the sides. Two good finishes from Osei, Atkinson looks a threat in the air from set pieces.

I'm getting slight emperor's new clothes vibes with Clare. He's fine but nothing particularly special from what I've seen. Certainly doesn't seem to be the revolutionary attacking presence that Cadden was, which was the role I was under the impression he had been brought in to play.
Let's see what he's like when he doesn't have Fosu to deal with and also has a League 1 left back to face.

Going forward he looked ok-ish ... defending, I thought he was crap ....enhanced by him passing it back to Eastwood to( badly )kick it - some one tell him Eastwood's kicking is rubbish

Unlucky not to win in the end, under pressure a lot of the game but ended well , thought they were better than QPR but their stream was pathetic, ours on Saturday looked and sounded SO much better than that

Poor quality down to the stream!

Edit, how do you post videos ! Although they are up on my Twitter

Right now to me one thing is painfully obvious. Karl Robinson doesn't have the faintest idea what his best team is.

Neither do I, But I aint the manager.

Back
Top Bottom