Home Match Build Up 28/09/2021 L1: OUFC v Accrington Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either of these lineups for me:

654CB425-7145-49B4-A58C-583C80C62046.jpegD1B066A1-EC2B-4E00-8141-024A1AAA26BC.jpeg

Last edited:
We have had the usual mixture of pretty decent and not so good this season. I don't remember this one, so he isn't in my personal hall of shame!

I think we all know it isn't an easy job though (especially in some games!).

Don't be ridiculous! I'm not saying that at all and you know it. All I'm asking for is some balance on the subject. It's all too easy to sit up in the stands safely surrounded by hundreds of fellow fans and criticise the individual on the pitch. Do I expect anyone to agree with me? No!
And to be honest when you have the likes of Kettle, Huxtable and Drysdale you can guarantee there will be justifiable criticism.

Don't be ridiculous! I'm not saying that at all and you know it. All I'm asking for is some balance on the subject. It's all too easy to sit up in the stands safely surrounded by hundreds of fellow fans and criticise the individual on the pitch. Do I expect anyone to agree with me? No!
I remember the Conference.
The referees in L1 are streets ahead of those.
I do think that Trevor Kettle really shouldn't be refereeing at our level but generally they are fine.

I remember the Conference.
The referees in L1 are streets ahead of those.
I do think that Trevor Kettle really shouldn't be refereeing at our level but generally they are fine.
I remember a game a few years ago not sure if it was L1/2 a ball hitting the opposition in their box at the east stand end we all shouted handball and the ref looked at us and just made the shape of the ball in his stomach to explain why he didn’t give a penalty and all game that ref was superb, you don’t get many of them who take a second to explain their decision.

I would drop Gorrin tomorrow, just based on I don’t think we should be playing with a deep holding midfielder at home. Brannagan and Kane is enough bite in there. Henry back in midfield with Williams (if fit?) and Whyte on the wings.

I actually think that the Bodin for Gorrin substitution on Saturday, whilst ostensibly an attacking one, actually ended up blunting our attacking threat.

Gorrin is so defensively responsible, and so willing to do the ugly stuff in the middle of the park, that having him there frees up Brannagan and Kane/Henry to attack and create without having to concentrate on defensive duties (it also frees up the CBs to maraud, although that's going to happen less this season than when we had Dickie or Atkinson back there).

I have no doubt that Brannagan & Kane can play in that role in front of the back four - but I think giving them that extra defensive responsibility reduces their effectiveness going forwards.

The only time I would play without Gorrin is if we're playing someone we think is so poor that we're not worried about their attacking threat at all, and therefore feel we can trust our back four to deal with them without much support from the midfield. Accrington may be a tiny club, but as usual Coleman has them playing above their station - they're above us in the league despite playing what looks like a tougher set of fixtures......so I reckon if we disrespect them, we'll pay for it.

Aren’t most of the referees in this league tripe?
It’s more remarkable if they are just adequate from what I have seen.

I think refs in general get a very hard press. Players dive, managers set their teams up to time waste and fans would rather criticise refs than accept their team weren't good enough. Obviously refs make mistakes and some are better than others, but it's a really difficult job. Over analysing fouls on TV (in slow motion, from 4 angles and 8 replays) has a lot to answer for, especially when the person doing it (Robbie Savage etc) doesn't actually know what the rules are.

Moan over.

I think refs in general get a very hard press. Players dive, managers set their teams up to time waste and fans would rather criticise refs than accept their team weren't good enough. Obviously refs make mistakes and some are better than others, but it's a really difficult job. Over analysing fouls on TV (in slow motion, from 4 angles and 8 replays) has a lot to answer for, especially when the person doing it (Robbie Savage etc) doesn't actually know what the rules are.

Moan over.
It’s the consistency against Wycombe Stevens gets a yellow for time wasting yet Stockdale was at it all throughout the game and nothing done. It’s things like this that get fans criticising the ref.

He’s a bit early if he’s sitting up in the stands already! He’s written a post about them on a forum. I don’t think it’s going to hurt anyone.

It’s the consistency against Wycombe Stevens gets a yellow for time wasting yet Stockdale was at it all throughout the game and nothing done. It’s things like this that get fans criticising the ref.
He did get booked in the end.

Got to say (and this may not be a popular opinion) I thought Drysdale did a perfectly sound job on Saturday.

Yeah, he got a few minor calls in the middle of the park wrong, but he mostly tried to let the game flow, he mostly tried to stop the time wasting (including booking the Gills' goalie) and he got the few big decisions (there weren't many) correct (the Sykes tumble late on would have been an extremely soft penalty).

It certainly wasn't the ref's fault that we didn't take three points. If every ref this season hit that standard every week, I don't think we'd have much to complain about.

Got to say (and this may not be a popular opinion) I thought Drysdale did a perfectly sound job on Saturday.

Yeah, he got a few minor calls in the middle of the park wrong, but he mostly tried to let the game flow, he mostly tried to stop the time wasting (including booking the Gills' goalie) and he got the few big decisions (there weren't many) correct (the Sykes tumble late on would have been an extremely soft penalty).

It certainly wasn't the ref's fault that we didn't take three points. If every ref this season hit that standard every week, I don't think we'd have much to complain about.

Yes he did eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom