+++ 28/01/2018 OUWFC v Aston Villa Ladies WSL2 +++

nick68

Worried about a weekend without football?

Just make it a Sunday instead, @OfficialOUWFC have got you covered.

Place: Court Place Farm, Marsh Lane
Time: 2pm K/O
Activities from 12:30pm
£5 - Adult
£2 - Concession
KIDS GO FREE
Mens team Season Ticket Holder - £1

If you've never been to a women's game before I would recommend you give it a go, great relaxed atmosphere, entertaining football and refreshments available not to mention Autograph alley where fans can meet the players from both teams.

Last edited:
I enjoyed that. :)

In the first-half I thought we were slow to start, a bit sluggish and disjointed at times. We just didn't seem to have a flow about how we were playing - how I know we're capable of playing. Starting a bit slowly is something we've been guilty of a few times this season, if I'm being honest. Villa went ahead early on, and were decent value for their lead.

As the game went on we started to grow into it a bit more. Not our best but certainly better. Won a few set pieces that were largely wasted due to poor delivery, but we kept probing and eventually got the breakthrough - first decent delivery in the box and we scored from it.

The second-half we looked a completely different team. We were far more composed, closed down well, forced mistakes, won contested balls, intercepted passes and generally enforced our game onto them. Few Villa fans sat near me were getting a bit frustrated, which is always nice to see. Overall it was a really pleasing second-half performance and good 3-1 win.

Oh, and it was great to see so many youngsters there today, some of which may have been experiencing their first U's (sorry Pete) game! Granted I don't think they have the attention span to watch a whole game of football at that age, but they could be the future of the club. I personally feel women's football is a great gateway to watching live football for youngsters, so fair play to the parents for bringing them down.

I'm really anxious to find out what next season holds for us. I really, really hope we apply to retain our WSL status. I think we should find our within the next week or so. Fingers crossed.

Hillman and Franklin-Fraiture are both very good players. Big fan of both our full-backs. I don't know what their aspirations are in football, but feel with WSL 1 potentially expanding to 14 teams, they both could be playing full-time next season. It honestly wouldn't surprise me and I'd be very interested to see how good they could become if they did play full-time. Hines too for that matter.

Last edited:
Nice summary, thanks. Hopefully a few new fans for our women after today's victory ?

No worries. There were a few other tidbits, but didn't want to keep rambling too much.

- Shaun absolutely slaughtering Ella's name during team announcements. Not sure if she has done something to upset him, but I couldn't help but laugh.
- No bell-ringer for the last few games. Were they asked to leave it at home, or have they just not attended the last two games?
- Top banter from the Kidlington U10's and U11's girls teams. I saw one of them reprimand a Villa fan and ask him if he knew the difference between a hand and a chest, basically forcing him into submission. I think he felt pretty awkward, it must have been pretty unexpected. Kids really do say the funniest things. :ROFLMAO:
- 301 there, which I think that's roughly 120 more than the Durham game. It really makes a difference. Hopefully you're right and the team has a few new fans going forward. I enjoy any football anyway, but there are certain aspects of women's football that sets it for me personally and if nothing else, it's great value entertainment - plenty of bang for your buck.
- I don't know if Villa are a dirty team, or we're a bit technically better, so drew fouls that way. Regardless, fouls are fouls and I thought the ref may have issued a card or two. Hillman was hacked down and looked in trouble for a while.
- Good to see a few Villa fans there making noise. Fair play. Although if you bring a drum, at least understand the concept of rhythm and be able to play the drum, please. Even if it's only a little.

Footballing wise, it's hard to pick out individuals. Like I said, slow start aside, I thought it was a good team performance. I'll just say: I would love to know how much ground Oliver covered - she worked really hard, chased every ball and deserved a goal. Pleased for her. Hines must have dynamite in her boots - I think that's 3, maybe 4 free-kicks she has scored this season? She was close against Durham, too.

Good day and a good win. On to Cardiff...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom