Away Match Day Thread 27-10-2020 L1 Charlton Athletic v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think though that we are 'moaning' about the same thing - another dreadful start to the season.

You are right in that it has turned out 'OK' in other seasons, but blindly believing that will just happen as a matter of course (especially given the current circumstances both on and off the pitch) is pretty optimistic!
There was a Watford fan on the radio last season after they got beat 8-0 by Man City (I was driving back from the 6-0 win over Lincoln when they were on) and they were asked if it worried them that they could lose any game by eight goals. They completely laughed it off and said it didn’t matter, this is just what Watford do, they’ll go on a run and end up finishing lower mid-table like always etc. They got relegated. I never forgot that bloke.

I posted the following back in July:

In recent years the losing team in a L1 playoff final hasn’t always fared well in the next couple of seasons. Leyton Orient lost in 2014 and went down twice in the next three years to end up in the Conference; Swindon lost in 2015 and went down a couple of years later; Bradford lost in 2017 and were relegated in 2019... Shrewsbury also lost the 2018 final and only stayed up by two points the following season. It’s a representation of a division where large squad turnovers flip the table on its head every season. Squads are largely built on loans, one and two year contracts, and the teams higher up are waiting to swoop for any player who has a standout season for their club. It’s a hard division to stay consistently competitive in for the majority of clubs.

To clarify, and before anyone starts wailing, I don’t think we will get relegated - or at least I don’t definitely think that we will. I think it’s more likely that we will grind out a win or two, put a bit of a run together, and move up a few places. If I had to put the house on an outcome at gunpoint, I would choose ‘not relegated’ in a heartbeat. But I think the key to that will be a healthy respect for the danger, and an acknowledgement that we could go down. I’ve seen so many people saying that there are four teams worse than us in this division. Based on what? How many times this season have you seen these teams play, to the point that you’re saying they are worse than we are? What’s your evidence? The league table says otherwise and I’ve already laid out examples of teams who lost the playoff final getting relegated or nearly getting relegated a year or two later. You have to respect the division and the teams in it, and there isn’t much of that coming from a few people. That’s dangerous. Be humble.

To reiterate, I think we are capable of turning around the poor start, as we have done several times before. I’m getting annoyed that we’re making a habit of starting badly and believe it’s symptomatic of a recurring issue that clearly isn’t being addressed for some reason, whatever it may be, but I believe we will be alright. So long as both the fans and the players / management don’t keep the faith in a way that becomes complacent. Especially in a season that could end or be suspended at any point over the winter, and where the league table has more immediate impact than ever before. Nobody can bank on next week, or next month, or the next 10/20 games being there.

Finally boot Captain Pugwash in the plumbs this weekend and we will all feel better for it. It’s got to happen eventually! ‘Mon the lads.

I don’t understand how Atkinson is being called ‘not ready’ and ‘not the answer’ after a game he didn’t even feature in?!

He’s looked somewhere between ok and great in every game he’s featured for us. Any player can get injured, that’s hardly his fault! Why is this 2-0 loss to Charlton being used as a stick to beat Atkinson?!
The real problem though is that we need decent cover in every position for when (not if) those players get injured or lose form. With Robinsons obsession with wingers, it means that he’s neglecting that basic requirement at the back. Using players with little or no experience in key positions, hoping its going to be alright.

It also has to be said that other signings this summer have, so far, failed to come off: Clare and Kelly not up to the required standard, McGuane has been a disappointment so far, Osei and Cooper not even being considered, Winnall struggling with injuries.

Add to that Hanson almost constantly injured, key player Brannagan out, other key players Eastwood, Ruffels, Moore and Henry showing patchy form..

The squads a bit of a shambles.

Judged on his post match comments last night, I wouldn't be so sure that he is taking things quite as seriously as he maybe ought to. Apparently we have strong players to come back, others are not doing what they are taught on the training ground and whilst other teams may convert chances, we create far more and are just unlucky.
Kr is delusional at the moment. He should get a grip, get in a strong CB to martial defence and stop the stupid mistakes being made, bring in Archer the keeper, dropping Hanson out of the squad.

Kr is delusional at the moment. He should get a grip, get in a strong CB to martial defence and stop the stupid mistakes being made, bring in Archer the keeper, dropping Hanson out of the squad.

I don't think you can change your nominated 22 until the transfer window.

If we change the 'keeper, it's Stevens.

kimkll,,.
you can’t drop anyone out now so Hanson stays no matter if he has 2 broken legs.

• React
Reactions: m
There is a great call for Eastwood to be dropped on here. Probably rightly so right now. But a big part in Eastwood's drop in form is the the inept defense in front of him. The goalkeeper and the back four have to operate as a unit. Right now it's collection of individuals so Eastwood has no idea what the four are going to do next. Bringing in Stevens might help a bit, but he will have exactly the same problem as Eastwood so I am not expecting a miraculous improvement.
Agree up to a point. But what frustrates me with Easty is that he is so quiet. Stevens is vocal, organising the back 4. The current 4 is relatively inexperienced and need organising. Perhaps Eastwood has been shielded by the quality of previous defenders?

People have previously criticised Robinson for throwing players under the bus, but now also criticise him for defending his players in his interviews. Confidence is shot, and it's showing throughout the team.

We're playing well in safe areas but the final ball, the crosses and the clever runs are not happening. We were on top for 30 minutes yesterday, and not only did we not score, we barely created a clear chance. This builds the pressure on the defence who are conceding from almost every shot at the moment. From the highlights I've seen, Long, Moore and Ruffels actually defended well. Clare is out of position for the first and Eastwood has a mare for the second. But more worryingly was that we came out in the second half looking beat.

Last season we have that fighting spirit that saw us come back a number of times, fighting until the 95th minute. This year we look beat after the first goal.

Maybe Robinson is also shot. He hasn't got the anger that we saw 2 years ago, or the confidence we saw a year ago. I'm not sure we can underestimate the value in having characters like Mackie around the club, who kept everyone up. Brannagan is also a strong character and will be missed. What surprises me is that Craig Short hasn't made a difference, or at least not one that is noticeable at the moment. This is a time for strong characters, leaders and everyone needs to step up.

I know I get grief for being overly positive, but I don't think there's any point in kicking the team while they're so obviously down. I honestly believe that we have the players to succeed, and that we need a bit of luck, and s**t loads of hardwork to get through this. Last year, by the close we'd lost 9 and had the season been completed I'm sure we'd have finished 2nd. So this season isn't dead and buried yet.

Saturday is another game, and even when we play well we don't get anything against Fleetwood, so the pressure's off! But knowing Oxford, we'll go and win 6 nil and like Lincoln last year, we'll go on an unbeaten run for the next 3 months. You heard it here first!!!

I don't think you can change your nominated 22 until the transfer window.

If we change the 'keeper, it's Stevens.
Ah didnt know that thanks.
With the comments supporting Eaatwood today in the Oxmail, and his previous lack of faith in stevens, would kr play him?
The defence are as much the current problem as Eastwood.
Would stevens do any better?
Over his time at Oxford he has had his own reliability problems, hence has been overlooked

I hope youre right @m: .... we'll see , if Jack Stevens get the keepers gloves for the next match ( Fleetwood) he is (IMO)
The thing that I worry about playing against Fleetwood and Saturday will be no different, is Fleetwood's budget surely is much less than ours but they seem to always bring in quality which we always seem to struggle with, I hope I’m wrong but we won’t get anything out of this Saturdays game.
Probably will waste a tenner, but onwards and bloody hope we get our first win against them. COYY

Last edited:
Surely the point of having a second keeper is that he is capable of playing in a first team game, should the first choice player be injured or out of form?

If Eastwood is out of form (and if nothing else persuaded me, last night's second did) then Stevens has to play. If he isn't good enough then he really shouldn't be at the club as the number two keeper.

Ah didnt know that thanks.
With the comments supporting Eaatwood today in the Oxmail, and his previous lack of faith in stevens, would kr play him?
The defence are as much the current problem as Eastwood.
Would stevens do any better?
Over his time at Oxford he has had his own reliability problems, hence has been overlooked

Nothing but B*****s ever comes out of you when you post, I'm sure you are the same fella that rings BBC Oxford after every game and speaks nonsense. What evidence have you had about reliability problems with Stevens in terms of performance in the past that dictates your judgement, is just based on personal assumptions . When it comes to the younger players in squad you just make things up to justify your own personal views and most on this site are aware of this as soon as they see anything with Mellowyellow above it.

Its clear that KR prefers a keeper with experience to the tune of x amount of games and there was a time I am assuming that he thought a combination of maturity, age and experience determined it was not Stevens time. None of us can say that this is the case now and KR's recent interview would suggest the opposite.

If I was a betting man I would guess Eastwood will play on Saturday against Fleetwood having been made aware of where he is in terms of his performance(s) and Stevens will play the two cup games next week after which a decision will be made by KR on the best path forward with this position.

The thing that I worry about playing against Fleetwood and Saturday will be no different, is Fleetwood's budget surely is much less than ours but they seem to always bring in quality which we always seem to struggle with, I hope I’m wrong but we won’t get anything out of this Saturdays game.
Probably will waste a tenner, but onwards and bloody hope we get our first win against them. COYY
I think a big difference is their location. There are loads of football clubs within spitting distance, so much easier for players to relocate, without uprooting family etc. Also must be difficult for Easty, with his family now based in the nort. Not making excuses for hI’m, but it can’t help.

I think a big difference is their location. There are loads of football clubs within spitting distance, so much easier for players to relocate, without uprooting family etc. Also must be difficult for Easty, with his family now based in the nort. Not making excuses for hI’m, but it can’t help.
Except that his family moved back down this summer!

Bazzer
Fleetwood own their stadium and get revenue from it
We have to pay the evil Kassam £500000 before we start . Fleetwood no doubt have good connections with clubs in the Northwest and can pick up players like Connor Macaleny fairly cheaply when you add in the cost of living etc they can get some pretty good players

I've actually been impressed with Atkinson so not clamouring so much for another experienced CB, it's just been unfortunate Mous has been out as well.

Full backs on the other hand, I feel is really causing us problems. Ruffels has struggled since returning from injury and Clare just hasn't been up to it yet. Also the fact seemingly if just one player gets injured at the moment it becomes a case of square pegs in round holes.

Bazzer
Fleetwood own their stadium and get revenue from it
We have to pay the evil Kassam £500000 before we start . Fleetwood no doubt have good connections with clubs in the Northwest and can pick up players like Connor Macaleny fairly cheaply when you add in the cost of living etc they can get some pretty good players
They still have a cap to adhere to and how many offices are there at the Highbury I didn’t see that many the last we were there and allegedly that’s where their income comes from.
Also their income still can’t be near ours irrespective of the 650k we pay OGB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom