Home Match Day Thread +++ 27/10/18 OUFC v Shrewsbury Town Matchday Thread +++

Just having Eastwood back in goal fills the whole club with confidence. Our defence has evolved from Barnstoneworth United to late sixties Inter Milan in three weeks.

The Shrews never really had a sniff in front of goal and we were always going to pick them off on the break in the second half.

Josh R epitomises the improvement with his unshowy competence . Mackie did his usual shithouse thing ; opposing team fans must hate the way we play. Good.

Still loads to do though.

Great banner at the start of game. COYY.

Great result yesterday unbeaten in five now and in those five games only one goal conceded and that one from the penalty spot.
We have gone from being a pushover to a very hard team to score against,Eastwood has made a big difference,Curtis nelson is back to near his best, Josh Ruffles is playing really well, and Mousinho has really tightened things up in the middle.
I think Karl Robinson deserves a great deal of credit as well.

COYY

Great performance from everyone today.
What a save from Eastwood at a very important time in the game. Defending was brilliant at times and where they did break through some sold blocks to prevent a shot on target. Going forward we moved the ball quickly and our passing was accurate.
Well taken goals and a brilliant afternoon all round.

Great performance from everyone today.
What a save from Eastwood at a very important time in the game. Defending was brilliant at times and where they did break through some sold blocks to prevent a shot on target. Going forward we moved the ball quickly and our passing was accurate.
Well taken goals and a brilliant afternoon all round.

Eastwood has certainly made a huge difference as others have said. In terms of that save, I think on rewatching it that it was probably one you’d expect most keepers at this level to make as it was relatively close to him. The important thing was that he pushed it wide so it didn’t just drop back into a very dangerous area.

Home and taking in the day's results over a delicious cup of tea.

I didn't get carried away in our many defeats and I'm not going to get carried away now. Today was satisfactory. It wasn't a blowout, it wasn't domination from start to finish, but it was efficient. There were literally four chances in the game: we took our three, Easty saved theirs. Otherwise, very little of note.

The usual suspects will get the plaudits, Holmes, Whyte etc. but Mousinho was my standout man of the match today. He looks a level above in that position. Gives our back four so much protection.

I think Shrewsbury fans will have every right to be disappointed in the ref today. He really was giving us a lot. So many of the 50/50s, which were the classic 'six of one, half a dozen of the other', he gave our way. I honestly don't see what their #9 did to get the yellow, but then again I missed the off the ball with McMahon. And that final goal - blimey. We'd be absolutely seething if that had happened to us.

This is much more what I thought our team would be like this season given how we performed under KR at the end of last season. We look so difficult to beat. We're not going to be a thrilling team to watch, we're not going to create a shedload of chances, but we are solid and compact, and that's a great ground on which to build going forward. I hope those who were vehemently against KR can hold their hands up and at least acknowledge the progress we are making. One goal conceded in 5 games, and 8 points from those games (worth noting that that was App's 'promotion'-level target for the 5 game blocks in 15-16), with two comprehensive victories against sides who look like genuine relegation contenders, represents for me an undeniable turnaround.

As a last point - LOVED that kit. So classy.

Err, 9 points from 5 games, right?

B*****s! I forgot to give a prediction for the match! I wouldn't have seen a 3-0 win, anyway. Bloody good result there! Is anyone going to the Whycum game in that shitty competition? Just down the road for me....................

Last edited:
He scored those 46 goals in 478 appearances between 1962 and 1977. He was the penalty taker for a long time and was known for blazing the ball over the bar. Good defender though...

Back
Top Bottom