Home Match Day Thread +++ 27/10/18 OUFC v Shrewsbury Town Matchday Thread +++

Their 9 was a lucky boy today. Had as many fouls as Baptiste other week, but was given the benefit of the doubt when not seen and didn't have our players screaming at the ref. He just didn't learn to knock it off and the contact on McMahon was very naughty, no matter how innocent he made out. Ironically, the player they brought on was more of a threat.

I thought the ref was pretty consistent over the 90 mins - both teams got the rub of the green at times from decisions. He did get in the way of the ball at times, but for the 3rd goal, their player had options and kicked it at the Ref.

Is it true the big flag in the East Stand had some naughty messages written on the underside? Heard some fans at half time commenting about the "banter".

As for the team. The players look fit and what a difference it makes to the overall game plan. Mackie was a pest, Holmes had work rate when he was on the pitch and McMahon was ok. Mous in midfield really do knit the whole thing together - the freedom in Brannagan is starting to show now. We have a long way to go, but it's looking better than a month ago

Their 9 was a lucky boy today. Had as many fouls as Baptiste other week, but was given the benefit of the doubt when not seen and didn't have our players screaming at the ref. He just didn't learn to knock it off and the contact on McMahon was very naughty, no matter how innocent he made out. Ironically, the player they brought on was more of a threat.

I thought the ref was pretty consistent over the 90 mins - both teams got the rub of the green at times from decisions. He did get in the way of the ball at times, but for the 3rd goal, their player had options and kicked it at the Ref.

Is it true the big flag in the East Stand had some naughty messages written on the underside? Heard some fans at half time commenting about the "banter".

As for the team. The players look fit and what a difference it makes to the overall game plan. Mackie was a pest, Holmes had work rate when he was on the pitch and McMahon was ok. Mous in midfield really do knit the whole thing together - the freedom in Brannagan is starting to show now. We have a long way to go, but it's looking better than a month ago
Both of their centreforwards looked to have the physical attributes that we would be looking for in the lone striker role but Angol just seemed a moody so and so who looked more interested in niggling antics with our defenders than playing football. He does seem to have a decent scoring record. As you say, the replacement looked more of a threat, held the ball up well and looked a real physical presence but, according to wiki, his career scoring record is really poor.

It was a very professional performance today. On the whole we looked solid at the back, especially with Mousinho offering excellent protection and Eastwood being as calm as ever. I'm still not keen on McMahon, but if we keep on keeping clean sheets I accept the back four is likely to remain unchanged.

The ref definitely did us a couple of favours today, but I don't think he made any horrific mistakes. It wasn't as though he turned an obvious penalty for them down or gave us one that wasn't. The majority of 50/50s just went in our favour, but that's the first time I can ever recall saying that so it's nice to experience it for once.

I really think Mackie's work rate and doggedness is helping to create a bit more space for the the likes of Holmes and Whyte to operate in. I remarked earlier that of Obika (when fit) had half of Mackie's know how and determination, he'd be a Championship player minimum.

Overall we've got to be pleased. Our leaky defence seems to have been fixed and we're playing with much more cohesiveness and direction. If the unbeaten streak continues the confidence should come back and hopefully we'll start to see a bit more flow to our attacking play. But I suppose we just need to focus on getting out of the relegation places first!

The one thing going for us is our league position. The opposition looks at it and thinks there's an easy three points (like the posters on the Shrewsbury forum) and by the time they realise it aint an easy three points it's too late!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately if things keep improving this idea will not last.:D

Why was Shearer on the bench if he is not considered good enough to play. Is Mitchell injured?

According to one player database he is 178cm, which is 5ft10.
To be fair, 5ft1 is pretty short. Even little Sam Deering at 165cm or 5ft5, is taller than that!
I was intrigued enough to spend my extra hour in bed this morning checking out a few well known short players and none came anywhere near 5'1". Alan Ball, Archie Gemmel, Maria-effing-dona, all around 5'5" - 5'7" so somewhat bizarre that people took that at face value!

Back
Top Bottom