Home Match Day Thread +++ 27/10/18 OUFC v Shrewsbury Town Matchday Thread +++

As others have said, Mous was immense in that defensive midfield position. His covering and filling in holes left by others is second to none. His passing is also none too shabby. I was also impressed with Holmes’ communication and work rate today. He was constantly chatting to teammates around him, offering advice and encouragement. I’d even consider him as captain if we lose Mous for a game or two.

Talking of captains, I thought Nelson has another good game but I was a little baffled with Dickie. He was constantly in the right place but definitely looked wobbly at times.

Mackie again put in a wholehearted shift and will more than adequately do a job there, buying Robinson time until January (or Ranger miraculously turns over a new leaf!)

Finally special mention to Henry, he’s not as eye catching in his new deeper role but his contribution to the team’s cause cannot be underestimated

As others have said, Mous was immense in that defensive midfield position. His covering and filling in holes left by others is second to none. His passing is also none too shabby. I was also impressed with Holmes’ communication and work rate today. He was constantly chatting to teammates around him, offering advice and encouragement. I’d even consider him as captain if we lose Mous for a game or two.

Talking of captains, I thought Nelson has another good game but I was a little baffled with Dickie. He was constantly in the right place but definitely looked wobbly at times.

Mackie again put in a wholehearted shift and will more than adequately do a job there, buying Robinson time until January (or Ranger miraculously turns over a new leaf!)

Finally special mention to Henry, he’s not as eye catching in his new deeper role but his contribution to the team’s cause cannot be underestimated
I think the reason Rob looks shaky is Left centre half isn't his preferred side, He seems more confident on the right and it's where he was last season when he was the standout defender

Love that kit!
Totally absorbing game that we never totally put to bed until late on. Really good defensive display today that backed up the early lead. Credit all the players today. For me, Holmes is just superb to watch. Work rate. Skill. Shithousery. I really hope that we somehow manage to keep him till the end of the season.
Whyte is a real find. Another class act player that gets you out of your seat.
Very happy with the effort from all of the players today. At last we look like a team.

Love that kit!
Totally absorbing game that we never totally put to bed until late on. Really good defensive display today that backed up the early lead. Credit all the players today. For me, Holmes is just superb to watch. Work rate. Skill. Shithousery. I really hope that we somehow manage to keep him till the end of the season.
Whyte is a real find. Another class act player that gets you out of your seat.
Very happy with the effort from all of the players today. At last we look like a team.
I reckon Holmes likes it here. I don’t see why can’t have him next season too. He’s not fit or young enough for the Championship and I suspect he lives fairly locally. Also, Whyte is just clumsy enough that we may be able to hold on to him next year as well!

I reckon Holmes likes it here. I don’t see why can’t have him next season too. He’s not fit or young enough for the Championship and I suspect he lives fairly locally. Also, Whyte is just clumsy enough that we may be able to hold on to him next year as well!

The only thing I would be a bit concerned about with Rickaaaaaa staying which I would welcome is that old chippy might try for Gav as part of the deal.

The only thing I would be a bit concerned about with Rickaaaaaa staying which I would welcome is that old chippy might try for Gav as part of the deal.
I don't think it would be Gav he'd be after. He doesn't use Wingers that often he uses wing backs. I wouldn't be surprised if he demanded someone like Brannagan or even Baptiste. If we were put in the situation were we had to do a swap for him I'd hope Robinson laughs in Wilders face. Holmes has 2 years max left at this level with his injuries those lads have a whole Decade of football ahead of them.

Just got back to Chester. Odd game today, we never needed to get out of 1st gear, Shrewsbury were awful and the atmosphere felt flat for some reason.

It’s hard to tell if we have truly turned the corner just yet as Shrewsbury we’re that bad!

I thought the ref did well today except for the fact that their no 9 should of seen red for 2 yellow card offences (3 if they had seen the one on McMahon).

The difference is Eastwood. And the work on set pieces has made a real difference.
Strange Plymouth win 4-1 at Scunthorpe as they were truly awful against us.
First away win next week anyone?

The difference is Eastwood. And the work on set pieces has made a real difference.
Strange Plymouth win 4-1 at Scunthorpe as they were truly awful against us.
First away win next week anyone?
Yes Mitchell did little wrong but Eastwood can pull off extraordinary saves and is a class keeper. As so.ebody else suggested, if Eastwood had been playing all season I reckon we would be a lot higher in the league.

Great to see Ruffels score. He is doing a very decent job at left back.
The other thing that struck me today was how hard all of the team worked. OK it is what Holmes and Mackie do, but Whyte Brannagan, Henry and others worked tirelessly to close Shrewsbury down and put pressure on them.

Chippy may be managing in the Premier League next season, the way they're going!

I don't think Gavin is ready for that yet.........

Yes Mitchell did little wrong but Eastwood can pull off extraordinary saves and is a class keeper. As so.ebody else suggested, if Eastwood had been playing all season I reckon we would be a lot higher in the league.

Absolutely, it's not just making great saves though - he knows how to co-ordinate the defence overall, and how to put the ball back into play to our best advantage, so to that extent co-ordinate some of the mid-field play as well. I don't think it's too much to say that he's our most important player in the squad at the moment

Back
Top Bottom