Matches 27/04/2021 - Playoff pack games

I can see one team blowing it, but it’s going to be between us and Blackpool I reckon.
it’d be nice to Sunderland screw it up before possible play offs. I reckon Johnson would be on his way if they miss the play offs

The key one for Saturday imo is if we better Pompey's result. We need them to drop points in their last couple of games and, on paper, it doesn't look nailed on that they will - Wimbledon A probably the more difficult of the two fixtures. Charlton's cockup in stoppage time on Tuesday (cracking goal btw) means that pretty much whatever happens they need to get results against Hull and Lincoln next week, so I'm less bothered about them winning on the weekend (Accy A). Of course, if they do lose, or even draw, regardless of what we or Pompey do, given their final two fixtures they're basically out of the running. But it won't matter if Pompey better our result, as we then can't catch them.
That's not right - they could win and we draw, they could draw and we lose - in both scenarios we could still catch them.

they march around League 1 thinking they’re entitled to promotion, they haven’t won anything in years and they get on their team, manager, owners and everyone in between when they so much as drop a point.

That sounds familiar.

This could be describing many fans, including us in our conference days.

Wouldn't be great because then Charlton could win their last two and would finish above us. Would also keep Pompey in the hunt with a big win on the last day even if we beat Burton.

It would also technically keep MK Dons in the play-off picture!

If we are getting that technical, it would also keep Ipswich in it if they beat S*****n.

Let's be honest, there isn't a single game left in the division that can be predicted with any confidence, as a case can be made for every team to be up for it and another case for why they will be on the beach, so we can't rule anyone in or out based on who they are playing.

We remain the outsiders among those with a realistic chance, but by Saturday night it could all be so very different

The result of the Peterborough v Lincoln game tomorrow could well have some bearing on what sort of sides Lincoln and Hull play against Charlton next week. If Lincoln are out of the automatic picture, I wouldn’t blame them for resting key players ahead of the playoffs. If Hull are already champions, they might be tempted to “enjoy” their trip to London rather than take it too seriously. With this in mind, I’m really hoping that Charlton don’t win at Accrington tomorrow.

The result of the Peterborough v Lincoln game tomorrow could well have some bearing on what sort of sides Lincoln and Hull play against Charlton next week. If Lincoln are out of the automatic picture, I wouldn’t blame them for resting key players ahead of the playoffs. If Hull are already champions, they might be tempted to “enjoy” their trip to London rather than take it too seriously. With this in mind, I’m really hoping that Charlton don’t win at Accrington tomorrow.
If we were in the position that Lincoln could be in, then I'm not sure I'd want us to play a weakened team in games before the playoffs, I'd rather try to keep form and cohesion of the team so that they go into playoff games as ready as can be.

If we were in the position that Lincoln could be in, then I'm not sure I'd want us to play a weakened team in games before the playoffs, I'd rather try to keep form and cohesion of the team so that they go into playoff games as ready as can be.

Also, some of those players will need games as they are coming back from injury/Covid still.

Could really do with Peterborough wining tomorrow for two reasons. It could mean that Lincoln wont be guaranteed a playoff spot so will have something to play for on Tuesday. Also it means that Peterborough keep the pressure on Hull giving them something to play for next Sunday.

I'm not so sure about playing the strongest or strong team if your already in the playoffs, as we know there are a lot of players who are carrying niggles at the moment and could be one tackle, turn or quick burst away from being side-lined for a month. You've got to take that risk to get into the playoffs but once your there I would be inclined to give some of the walking wounded a game or two off.

Anyway. Predictions for the games tomorrow.

Lincoln - Loose
Sunderland - Loose.
Blackpool - Draw.
Portsmouth - Draw.
Charlton - Draw.
Oxford - Win.

Yellow tinted glasses are on !

Could really do with Peterborough wining tomorrow for two reasons. It could mean that Lincoln wont be guaranteed a playoff spot so will have something to play for on Tuesday. Also it means that Peterborough keep the pressure on Hull giving them something to play for next Sunday.

I'm not so sure about playing the strongest or strong team if your already in the playoffs, as we know there are a lot of players who are carrying niggles at the moment and could be one tackle, turn or quick burst away from being side-lined for a month. You've got to take that risk to get into the playoffs but once your there I would be inclined to give some of the walking wounded a game or two off.

Lincoln - Loose
Sunderland - Loose.
Blackpool - Draw.
Portsmouth - Draw.
Charlton - Draw.
Oxford - Win.

And some.

Lincoln - Loose
Sunderland - Loose.
Blackpool - Draw.
Portsmouth - Draw.
Charlton - Draw.
Oxford - Win.

If Lincoln win they still have an outside chance of going up automatic.
A draw would be a poor result for us given their next game is against Charlton

Last edited:
For all MA liked his time here in Oxfordshire he hasn't got one iota of a soft underbelly for helping out his old employer over the next couple of weekends. But a win for OUFC tomorrow and the heat is on for all of the chasing pack including his. If we make it through I would love to face Sunlan again because we owe them more than one. A big club in crowd size only but only small peanuts for brains.

COYYS.

Back
Top Bottom