Away Match Day Thread 26/09/20 L1 - Accrington Stanley V OUFC

Having watched the highlights I am very impressed with the way we went about things yesterday. Defensively we looked very solid, especially with set pieces. We looked much more confident and fluid on the ball whereas before we looked very one dimensional, Forde seems to have made a big impact on the midfield. Henry and Taylor have regained their confidence.

It is clear Robinson went to town addressing our weaknesses after last week's game and the players seem to have learnt a lot.

Bring on Crewe, up the Ox!

For those saying "it's only one game" you are of course right. Accrington were not great, and we played with a bit more freedom and belief, but if we hadn't had that little bit of luck to score straight after their penalty then it could have been a different story.

So, even from Mr Positive, we're a long way from being world beaters and the Crewe and Bristol Rovers games are even more important to build on this result and get ourselves back amongst the big boys at the top of the league.

But, as Robinson has said, and I of course agree with, we were never that bad anyway. Lincoln was a stupid goal to give away followed by a bit of naivety in the final third. Sunderland was a mess of a formation following injuries that started badly, but was looking ok at the end of the 1st half. We then conceded early in the 2nd and our heads dropped.

So, onwards and upwards. Let's keep that same belief on and off the pitch, and hopefully build ready for the bigger games against Peterborough and Swindon in the next month. And more importantly, I'll continue to find something else to watch which undoubtedly made all the difference yesterday!!!

I think the poor start to the season was partly due to a post play-off hangover that hung around the squad, which they began to clear with the team meeting on Sunday, the team building exercise this week and continued to exorcise with that performance yesterday. There’s no doubting the quality in this squad but without putting in the hard yards they’d achieve nothing; perhaps they thought they just needed to show up each game and that would be enough? The way the players celebrated each goal together yesterday showed how much this win meant to them and gave me confidence, with a few new signings, that we’ll be up there again at the end of the season.

No one at the Accrington game was doing a black power salute. No one at the Accrington game is being bankrolled by George Soros. Just a bunch of young men acknowledging inequality in a quiet, brief and non-confrontational way.

How about the Watford game??

The more I see Joel Cooper (body shape helps here as well) the more he reminds me of Lee Tomlin. I'm not saying whether he will be as good or not, just that he reminds me of Tomlin in the style he plays.
And for the older ones among us, a bit of David Sloan

Are we really back on this?? You really need to drop this Baz.
No I’m making an observation. The question is how long must this happen a fair and valid point has been made and a majority of like minded people understand and respect what has happened since the George Floyd murder, yes there will be some tits out there that will be against all this in a right wing type of way, unfortunately they will always be here but we can’t keep doing this.

No I’m making an observation. The question is how long must this happen a fair and valid point has been made and a majority of like minded people understand and respect what has happened since the George Floyd murder, yes there will be some tits out there that will be against all this in a right wing type of way, unfortunately they will always be here but we can’t keep doing this.

Tell me more about these tits out

Love how you can hear someone on our coaching staff's 'FVCKING GET IN THEEEERE' for each of our first two goals, and the 'POONCHED IM IN THE 'ED!' for their penalty in a tone of utter scandalised disbelief. Obviously fans not being in stadiums is total s**t, but it is quite fun hearing what players and coaches are actually saying during matches.

Also, some lovely pieces of play in the build up to each goal that have gone unremarked upon a bit for me - the technique with Kelly's ball for the first is much, much trickier than it looks and deserves a lot of credit, and Matty's spinning-touch-volley-layoff in the buildup to the second is absolutely lovely. He really is so much more than a goal poacher.

Love how you can hear someone on our coaching staff's 'FVCKING GET IN THEEEERE' for each of our first two goals, and the 'POONCHED IM IN THE 'ED!' for their penalty in a tone of utter scandalised disbelief. Obviously fans not being in stadiums is total s**t, but it is quite fun hearing what players and coaches are actually saying during matches.

Also, some lovely pieces of play in the build up to each goal that have gone unremarked upon a bit for me - the technique with Kelly's ball for the first is much, much trickier than it looks and deserves a lot of credit, and Matty's spinning-touch-volley-layoff in the buildup to the second is absolutely lovely. He really is so much more than a goal poacher.
Its probably never going to happen but, when Winnall is fit, Id love to see him and Taylor played in tandem. I reckon theyd tear defences to shreds in this division. Sadly for us old farts, the twin strikeforce seems to be a thing of the past. No more Aldridge/Hamilton or Byrne/Moody like combos unfortunately ?

You're right all you can hear is the opposing managers bellowing instructions from the sidelines all the time when watching these games.

For instance you can clearly hear John Coleman ( Coley to his mates ) on the audio screaming after Easty's error :

" He's punched 'im in the 'ed......he's punched 'im in the 'ed....he's punched 'im in the 'ed "

Watching the highlights, I can only think their player got sent off for raising his hands on Cam Bran and in the process shoving him (CB may have gone down a tad easy as well but that isn't clear either). There doesn't appear to be a stamp at all.

As an aside, how was their player allowed to grab and pretty much hug the Ref when appealing for the penalty? While it is not overt intimidation (for want of a better word), it was a not very subtle intimidation of the official? I've seen players sent off for far less and this was wrong on every level but haven't seen it mentioned previously.

I liked the body language of the players out there., far better than the Sunderland game.

Did you really just mis-spell the arabic name of the person you're talking to while querying them about someone else's comments on a matter related to race, when they inconveniently didn't fall into your trap?

You've just won the internet :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom