Away Match Day Thread 26/09/20 L1 - Accrington Stanley V OUFC

Clearly our second was a total fluke (albeit after some excellent build up work and good tenacity - to be commended so soon after conceding). But ‘could have gone either way’!? Taylor has scored 5 in 2 against them and ‘done nothing’?! I had us as decisively the better side for at least 70 of the 90 minutes today...

I ended up listening to the Accrington commentary today (still not been able to locate the button to switch it to the RadOx feed away from home!)

And they also thought we were the better side - and although they whinged about the red card, they accepted that the result was deserved.......and were waxing lyrical about Matty's first.

For me Forde in the middle and unsung Dan Agyei on the left offered much more threat than we have previously. Steady Sam able to concentrate on defending which he done well. Formation much more balanced today in my view. And Moore was outstanding I thought.

Aaannnnddd it’s all gone quiet, all gone quiet, all gone quiet from the forum ?

Always less to say when we win. Radox say the same. This one's been done to death on a weekly basis mate over the last 10 years not even worth discussing now.

Thought we still looked very open at the back and Eastwood failed to convince.
But this week Henry and Taylor turned up, what a third goal!
Clare did a bit better and hats off to Sam Long - very dogged. Stanley not in the same solar system as our first two league opponents though.
COYY.

Great win!

Eastwood- OK in the first half, but a bit dodgy in the 2nd, didn't command his box well at all, clumsy foul for the pen, and distribution was poor. Must improve. 5

Clare- Much improved performance to be fair, grew into the game, and got forward and used the ball well. Still a lot to learn about the position, but encouraging signs. 7

Moore- Very comfortable with and without the ball, never looked troubled at any point. 8

Atkinson- Steady performance, won a few headers, and brought the ball out of defence well a couple of times. Still looks a bit raw, but an improvement on the last two games. 6.5

Long- Started off a bit shaky, but grew into the game, and looked more assured as the game went on, solid 2nd half. 6.5

Forde- MOTM. Excellent performance! Got stuck in, very assured and composed on the ball, passed well, always in space, and did some great defensive work on the edge of our box towards the end. Great cross for Taylor's 2nd goal. Has to be one of the first names on the team sheet on the basis of his last couple of games. 8.5

Kelly- Another who got better as the game went on, looking more and more confident with the ball, very good 2nd half. 7.5

Henry- He's back! Full of running and enthusiasm, the goal seemed to take the shackles off of him a bit, and the pass for Taylor's goal was world class. 8

Hall- Drifted in and out a bit, but looking fitter, sharper and stronger than he has for a long time, did some good work, and has a good eye for a clever pass. 6.5

Agyei- Good first half, and looking like he could be a good outlet out wide. Great work to stay on his feet and set up the first goal. Faded a bit in the 2nd half, but showed encouraging signs that he deserves to be more involved this season. 6.5

Taylor- Saw more of the ball than in the previous couple of games, and linked up play well, especially in the 2nd half, and the control on his chest and finish for his first goal was truly top class. 7.5

SUBS:
Brannagan- Ticked over well, with some nice touches and passes. 6
Cooper- Looked lively, with some exciting runs, looking forward to seeing more of him. 6.5
Osei- Too late to have any impact, but some important minutes none the less.

Overall, a much improved team performance, with more urgency and aggression, and there was a lot more desire and motivation in the team, which was good to see, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, we can't overlook the fact Accrington were awful, weather that was us making them look bad, or them making us look good, remains to be seen. But a big improvement, and very encouraging signs.

We're still gonna need to do some clever business between now and the end of the transfer window, to add some quality and depth where we can, but I'm certainly feeling a lot more positive than I was!

Well done Robbo and the lads, onwards and upwards!
Agree with all of that

It's pretty clear that Eastwood is not comfortable at dealing with aerial balls, so with that being the case, I think it would be far better if he stayed at home rather than coming to claim/punch, unless it's an absolute gimme. Just from the top of my head that is the third such error he has made leading to a goal within the last 12 months alone, although there may be more. Teams have surely identified this as a weakness by now, and unless he changes his approach or the coaches help him to be more confident with the high ball, I fear it's going to be hearts in mouths every time a long ball gets pumped into our box.

The last time we visited Accy:

And also at Rotherham:

As an aside, I had forgotten how good Fosu was. Jeez.

And chuckbert? Nope? It went with auto spell as didn’t quote the post. Why not address the point raised rather than a misspell?
No one at the Accrington game was doing a black power salute. No one at the Accrington game is being bankrolled by George Soros. Just a bunch of young men acknowledging inequality in a quiet, brief and non-confrontational way.

Just showed my boy the highlights and he described the third goal as Beckham playing it in for Bergkamp to score. I think James and Matty would be happy with those comparisons.

Match Ratings.

Eastwood 5, Clare 7, Moore 8, Atkinson 8, Long 6, Kelly 6, Forde 8, Henry 8, Hall 6, Taylor 9, Aygei 7

For the Crewe game I’d like to see Aygei switched to the right & Cooper come in for Hall. Brannagan in for Kelly & Ruffels in for Long if they’re fit.

No one at the Accrington game was doing a black power salute. No one at the Accrington game is being bankrolled by George Soros. Just a bunch of young men acknowledging inequality in a quiet, brief and non-confrontational way.
You don’t think people are telling them to do that?

Back
Top Bottom