Away Match Build Up 26/09/20 L1 - Accrington Stanley v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope for a away win , take the pressure off being On 0 points .
So a 1-0 win will do get us on way.

Accrington have won one and lost one. They beat Peterborough 2-0 at home.

This is (judging by previous performances and the state of our squad) going to be tricky.

Let's say 1-1 to at least get us off the mark.

Just a goal would be nice. And a performance which isn't embarrassing. Too much to ask??

Eastwood
Clare Moore Atkinson Long
Forde Brannagan McGuene
Henry Taylor Cooper

Give Taylor better support and play Agei. Stanley kicked us off the park up there last season so expect another tough game again

Dare I say after 3 league games we will still be on nil points.
Its tough at present, we only just scraped past Pompey in the play off semi finals and we all know how bad we defended at Wembley against the newly crowned championship whipping boys from Buckinghamshire.
Playing Matty Taylor up front on his own is a big mistake as we need goals (4-3-3 is the way forward, with the front 3 pushing forward centrally and not tucked out on the wings) and it’s plain to see we have not had a competitive clean sheet for the last 9 games, ironically it was a 3-0 home win against Accrington Stanley so it seems if we don’t score at least two goals in a match we are either going to draw or lose, its a conundrum Karl Robinson needs to address and address very, very soon.

Ok, I'm feeling hacked off with the whole Covid-19, not going to footy etc etc so, with regard to this game, optimism is not flowing.
Drop Henry to the bench. Start with Agyei and Del boy, leave Tayls on the bench for the first 60 minutes.
Brannagan, Forde, Cooper, Atkinson, Moore, Long and Sykes all start. Eastwood will start although I would have welcomed Stevens getting a league start. And, to complete the back four there is little option but Clare - let's hope he has got his concentration in order.
Result would be to keep a clean sheet but teams have got us figured out, sit back, wait for a break and sprint forward. Or, simply wait for a set piece opportunity - we can't defend for toffees at the moment.

I would love to be proved wrong. Will still pay a tenner for iFollow and still get annoyed when they switch off Radox at half time and the one camera angle viewing will remind me how much I miss the real thing. (and then we'll open a bottle of something and drink the lot)

I would go with the following:

Eastwood
Forde, Moore, Atkinson, Long
McGuane, Brannagan, Sykes
Hall, Taylor, Cooper

Play Brannagan as the deep sitting midfielder, drop Henry, Kelly and Clare.

Id love a win, any win but would take a point to get us off the mark.

2 nil to Accy. We have been utter chod so far. We are still injury ravaged and very short. Weve done nothing to address those issues. Accy are organised, direct and in your face. We struggle with that.

I've not seen anything so far to suggest we will get anything at Accrington. We have a weak defence and desperately need a dominant centre back.

Eastwood
Clare Moore Atkinson Long
Sykes Forde Brannagan
Agyei Taylor Cooper

I don't particularly like it but Forde over Kelly offers far more protection defensively, Cooper on the left is at least a round peg in a round hole, and I think Agyei deserves a start and would offer a physical presence against a robust Accy side.

Brannagan is now 'ill' as well, so that will be another one missing !!!

I don't think we're getting a win here, unfortunately. Hopefully the week off revitalises the players but we still have the same issues in terms of personnel we had last week. A draw would be good.

Looking ahead, things look a little worrying. We need to pick up some form and soon because, after Crewe at home next weekend, which is SURELY a win, we have Gills and then Posh away in subsequent weekends. We're then Tuesday-Saturday until the end of October, with games against Swindon, Charlton (A) and Fleetwood (A) in that run. That's a LOT of tough fixtures in a short space of time. If we're not careful, we could see ourselves out of the autos race by November. So I think more than anything I just want to see a response this weekend to the last couple of games - some indication that the tide is turning.

I can't see any evidence to suggest we've improved or turned the corner in the league just yet.

Accrington 1 Oxford 0

Ive a feeling we may get our first league win of the season at the crown ground .... 1-2 away win, smash n grabbing a last gasp clincher for all 3 points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom