Home Match Day Thread 25/9/2021 L1: OUFC v Gillingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a full back who only ever crossed the half way line to change ends at half time, I have an inherent distrust of 3/5 at the back, but i) do you think this provides the solidity we need at the back and ii) do you think we have the cover in the squad to continue the system if we lost one or two key people?
Funnily enough I was a full back as well, played both sides as I was two footed, but never played as a wing back, mainly because in those days anything other than a flat back four was pretty rare, certainly in this country anyway!

We've got Seddon, and Williams, who has shown a really surprising ability to play at RB, so they can provide the defensive support needed in the wide areas, whilst also getting forward with a bit more freedom than they usually would be able to if they were playing in a flat back four system.

Long will still be able to drift forward at times, but with his injury/hamstring issues of late, and after so long out, it might help him get back up to match fitness and strength, without the burden and responsibility of bombing up and down the right side so soon after returning.

Obviously injuries to any key player in any position would require the potential for a change of system, but we'd have the options of McNally, Forde and Mous (as a last resort) should any injuries to defensive players occur.

But let's face it, it's not a system that KR is gonna use, he'll play a 433 or at a push, 4231, and Long will be RB, bombing up and down the right all game, and I'll be crapping myself every time he does, fearing seeing him pull up, clutching his hamstring!

IMAGE FROM THE PAST :

Current Gills gaffer Steve Evans pictured for Albion Rovers in 1982-83.

EumSp6AXIAEDO-_
Must’ve been taken during the famous 1980s pie famine.

We played with a standard back 4 last season and got plenty out of Long and Ruffels so I don't think we need a huge change in formation, we just need to regain the spark we've seen from Long and get Seddon playing with the confidence he started the season with.

Questions over Thorniley are strange in my view. He's had a couple of average games, but who hasn't? Before that he looked really solid and a calming influence at the back. So Stevens, Long, Moore, Thorniley and Seddon are fixed if fit.

Last season we went on a real run when we Gorrin was out of the side, and although that made us weaker at the back, we played with more freedom and scored for fun. I'd look at doing similar now with Kane and Brannagan playing as a more traditional midfield two. If we then play our usual front three of Taylor through the middle, Whyte/Bodin on the left and Sykes/Whyte on the right, then we have the option of playing Henry in an advanced midfield role or no.10 which will give Taylor more support and help Henry play with the freedom that can pull teams apart.

Oxford 3 Gillingham 0 Taylor, Henry and Winnall off the bench.

LINEUP111632565165750.png

If we lose the toss and play towards the JS stand get a goal and go on and win 2-1 👍

We played with a standard back 4 last season and got plenty out of Long and Ruffels so I don't think we need a huge change in formation, we just need to regain the spark we've seen from Long and get Seddon playing with the confidence he started the season with.

Questions over Thorniley are strange in my view. He's had a couple of average games, but who hasn't? Before that he looked really solid and a calming influence at the back. So Stevens, Long, Moore, Thorniley and Seddon are fixed if fit.

Last season we went on a real run when we Gorrin was out of the side, and although that made us weaker at the back, we played with more freedom and scored for fun. I'd look at doing similar now with Kane and Brannagan playing as a more traditional midfield two. If we then play our usual front three of Taylor through the middle, Whyte/Bodin on the left and Sykes/Whyte on the right, then we have the option of playing Henry in an advanced midfield role or no.10 which will give Taylor more support and help Henry play with the freedom that can pull teams apart.

View attachment 7212
Agree with much of that.... but one of Henry's key strengths is his crossing from the right which we might miss out on.

View attachment 7212
My thinking with the three at the back option, was that it affords us the option of two up front, whilst also keeping our width, with players out wide who can both attack and defend well.

It also gives Henry a more free role, playing in the hole, between the lines.

We need two up front, Taylor’s not playing badly, and isn’t out of form as some are suggesting, he’s just not having enough clear cut chances, as he get’s snuffed our too easily when on his own against two CB.

In my opinion, if he could have a strike partner, who occupies the CB, pulling them about and stretching them, then it will free up Taylor to be given more opportunities, as at the moment, on his own through the middle, against two CB, he’s feeding off scraps.

Just walked past a group of Gills fans shouting abuse at the people selling scarves by the south stand

I do hope we’ve spent some of this ‘intense’ week in training working out how we can get people closer to Matty.

Clearly he’s not at his best right now - but I’d really like to see him given the chance to loiter in the box for longer with our players around him, rather than having to play as an isolated hold-up striker trying to help others get in beyond him

I can’t believe Whyte is in the left again and Taylor starting really no wonder these player don’t put in the type of performance they should do ie Taylor should be scoring and Whyte should be giving LB nightmares but I’m sure KR knows what he is doing

Feeling confident for a win albeit hard fought ...3-1 whyte taylor & long

I can’t believe Whyte is in the left again and Taylor starting really no wonder these player don’t put in the type of performance they should do ie Taylor should be scoring and Whyte should be giving LB nightmares but I’m sure KR knows what he is doing
On one level I can't either but on another, I find it astonishing that a modern professional winger can't play on both flanks.

No surprise Holland hasn’t made the squad today (for me). Admittedly he’s been chucked into games we’re already behind the 8-ball in a few times - but he’s done nothing this season. I can’t recall him positively impacting our performance in any of his appearances - and his most telling contribution has been missing a sitter at Wimbledon before they went up the other end and scored.

He’s got lots of ability - but I’m yet to be convinced of his bottle and toughness. Perhaps this will be the kick of the bum that spurs him on.

On the other hand, it feels harsh to drop Sykes after last week…

Anyone having any problem with ifollow I cant seem to be able to log in it just says buy tickets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom