Home Match Day Thread 25/9/2021 L1: OUFC v Gillingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re going to give someone a right stuffing soon, all the signs are there.
As for those complaining about the crowd being quiet, the answer is do something about it.

This was my first game of the season. What struck me was the lack of atmosphere. The lack of urgency and the lack of a forward pass sucked the life out of the game. I don't dispute we had loads of possession but Gillingham didn't have to worry until the last quarter of the game as we never threatened to really stretch them. It was all so predictable and slow. Then we had awful crossing, especially Seddon. Whyte started to look a different player on the right. But for all the talk by KR of pacey wingers we didn't go round their flanks. The ball got to the wing then went back, back and back. Numerous times our attack turned into a pass back to Stevens. This caution will not see us rip anyone apart. This style of play may also lead to the attendance going the wrong way. Fans want to be entertained. Sideways and backwards football is not great. It can be effective but the movement needs to be more urgent and more decisive

As with one of the comments above by WhyteMustard, I was shouting at the uncharacteristically complacent comments on RadOx from all of them after the game. While we looked easy on the eye for parts of the game, there is a stated aim in the the game - to create and score goals! Let's have a look at the past few games.

Today - one goal which was vastly helped by the ineptitude of the Gillingham defender and keeper.
Cheltenham - no goals.
Wycombe - no goals.
Wimbledon - one goal as a result of a defensive mistake.

I'm not Einstein, but even I can tell where the problem is! So while today we had the ball a lot - there is a lot wrong.

While I am not advocating just belting the ball up the pitch, we need to move the damned thing quicker. Entire ice ages pass while we ponderously pass the ball backwards and forwards across the back. Of course, that is made worse by the fact that movement off the ball seems to be non-existent, so I am not sure what those players are supposed to do with it really. So eventually they often, erm, belt it up the pitch anyway. So let's have some movement please. There are some passes/crosses that seem very ill-considered - kicks from the keeper head high at a man on the touchline, crosses that might reach a man three yards past the far stick but at a height and speed that mean the will never be controlled and lead to anything etc.

Of course there were some nice passages of play especially in the second half - it was nice to see some passes into space for players to move on to rather than to feet (there's that movement thing, it really does work! and I would swear I almost saw a player try to beat a man a few times as well!) - I think you can the same for many other games this season. But it has turned out to be pretty ineffective, even against a team as limited as Gillingham.

Very frustrating - I hope that they remember this is a results game not a possession game soon.

As for those complaining about the crowd being quiet, the answer is do something about it.
If we patted it around aimlessly in midfield a little less the crowd might be a little more animated.

Are we going to give someone a pasting? We’ve scored 10 in 9 games. What makes you so confident of this pasting? Let’s be honest, we’re not carving teams open repeatedly and we’re not missing many guilt edged chances, so i’d love to know what gives you such confidence?

Large parts of our football is pedestrian and played in front of the opposition - rarely so far this year has it been edge of your seat stuff which will result in the fans getting excited. Ultras/singing section (not just a standing section at the back of the east stand) is required asap!

FAJI7BwXoAEVQjn
I'm sorry Statistics don't win games, goals do. He seems to do so well for us in games, maybe we should sign up Possession whoever he is, as a new striker.

If we patted it around aimlessly in midfield a little less the crowd might be a little more animated.
Not sure if you’re aware but fans don’t have to wait to be ‘entertained’ before backing their team…?
And ‘patting it around aimlessly’ might be frustrating for the fans who think moving the ball forwards at all times is the only way to play, but any football fan worth their salt knows differently.

Are we going to give someone a pasting? We’ve scored 10 in 9 games. What makes you so confident of this pasting? Let’s be honest, we’re not carving teams open repeatedly and we’re not missing many guilt edged chances, so i’d love to know what gives you such confidence?

Large parts of our football is pedestrian and played in front of the opposition - rarely so far this year has it been edge of your seat stuff which will result in the fans getting excited. Ultras/singing section (not just a standing section at the back of the east stand) is required asap!
The same confidence that said Taylor would come good, and today he scored and could have had more.
As for pedestrian football I’m assuming you don’t know about patiently pulling teams around and breaking teams down. Look at today’s match stats; we dominated in every respect and had clear chances to score more than one.

The same confidence that said Taylor would come good, and today he scored and could have had more.
As for pedestrian football I’m assuming you don’t know about patiently pulling teams around and breaking teams down. Look at today’s match stats; we dominated in every respect and had clear chances to score more than one.

Stats. You do not get points for good stats.

Taylor - he was better today but once again, goal aside, what service did he receive? If he doesn't get the service, who gets the goals??

Stats. You do not get points for good stats.

Taylor - he was better today but once again, goal aside, what service did he receive? If he doesn't get the service, who gets the goals??
Of course you don’t get points for good stats but they reflect how well we played today, it’s obvious if you were at the game and understand football…
Taylor received the ball to feet much more today, scored one, hit the bar, had one saved and has a good understanding developing with Kane.
Seddon, Brannagan, White and Henry to name but four all had goal attempts today, no need to panic about where the goals will come from just yet .

Atmosphere at the Kassam has always been crap by the nature of the stadium. But in terms of this season it was particularly flat today, which I don't think is that surprising given our current form and the scoreline for most of the game.

What I noticed today was we played it out from the back and spent a long time before we made an attempt to attack they Gillingham were direct and would win the ball from the goal kick I’m from the keeper maybe they weren’t good enough to make good use of it, but then again we won’t know if we could if we went long.

Of course you don’t get points for good stats but they reflect how well we played today, it’s obvious if you were at the game and understand football…
Taylor received the ball to feet much more today, scored one, hit the bar, had one saved and has a good understanding developing with Kane.
Seddon, Brannagan, White and Henry to name but four all had goal attempts today, no need to panic about where the goals will come from just yet .
Tbf a lot of the possession stats were from us playing the ball back and sideways between our defence and holding the ball, unless we attack more we can’t say we played well if we aren’t attacking and making the most of our good play. Playing well doesn’t win you points it’s the ball in the back of the net that does.

We had good stats at Cheltenham. Did they reflect how well we played there? My point being, you can manipulate the stats to
Satisfy your argument. The fact is, we are not scoring enough goals yet to suggest we are going to give someone a good hiding like you suggest.

Seddon, Bran & Whyte are not regular scorers. Despite their attempts.

Forgive me, I’m incredibly underwhelmed by the fare on offer so far and i am tired of the spin that comes from the manager and the growing number of statisticians looking far too closely at stats and not as closely at the thing that matters most, goals.

We had good stats at Cheltenham. Did they reflect how well we played there? My point being, you can manipulate the stats to
Satisfy your argument. The fact is, we are not scoring enough goals yet to suggest we are going to give someone a good hiding like you suggest.

Seddon, Bran & Whyte are not regular scorers. Despite their attempts.

Forgive me, I’m incredibly underwhelmed by the fare on offer so far and i am tired of the spin that comes from the manager and the growing number of statisticians looking far too closely at stats and not as closely at the thing that matters most, goals.
I think the point was that we are creating chances so if/when we start taking them we’ll have a good win.

As I missed it, how was Kane? And Henry on the wing?

I think the point was that we are creating chances so if/when we start taking them we’ll have a good win.

As I missed it, how was Kane? And Henry on the wing?
Henry needed to be where Kane was and Kane needed to be where Gorrin was and Sykes could be in instead of Gorrin. Yes we are creating chances but we’re not taking them and we haven’t for the last 4 games or so, so that needs to be addressed.

We are all complaining about not scoring more this afternoon, what should not go unnoticed was the fact the Gillingham keeper played a blinder helped at times with lady luck on his side,

Henry needed to be where Kane was and Kane needed to be where Gorrin was and Sykes could be in instead of Gorrin. Yes we are creating chances but we’re not taking them and we haven’t for the last 4 games or so, so that needs to be addressed.
Weve got a lot of good attacking players but seems like the combination isn’t quite right yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom