Home Match Day Thread +++ 25/9/18 OUFC v Manchester City Match day thread+++

Lots of predicted lineups amongst the Fanzines/Blogs etc , most of which vary quite a bit from each other. However there is some concensus that the MCFC line-up will include Foden, Mahrez, Danilo, Zinchenko, Gabriel Jesus, and not Fernandinho, Aguero or de Bruyne. Bravo is injured, so Pep has to choose between Ederson or 19 year old prospect Muric in goal. There is also some talk of putting Stones into midfield to cover for Fernandinho.

Composite line-up from all articles I've seen so far: Muric (GK), DAnilo, Zinchenko, Kompany, Otamendi (DF), Foden, Diaz, Stones, Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus, Sane

If so, then I'm confident (as long as some or all of the following occur: i) Kompany pulls up injured while marking Whyte who sprints away and scores, ii) Stones gets over cocky and tries some clever footwork while under pressure from Baptiste, loses the ball and Shandon strides forwards and scores, iii) teenage keeper Muric pulls a howler early on to give away a goal and does not recover his composure for the rest of the game, iv) Otamendi gets a bump to the head and goes back to being the hopeless player he was when he first arrived, v) STerling comes on as sub, and hogs every chance MCFC create, but fails to convert any of them, vi) KR forgets that one of the MCFC side is actually from Manchester, and lamps him for being a scouser and gets sent off, vii) the bump on the head turns him into a tactical genius and outwits Pep for the rest fo the game, viii) Tiger's new co-owner has secretly brought in Inter's top striker who comes on as a sub under the code name Slavi Spazov and scores loads, ix) the real Slavi Spazov is annoyed that he has to play under the name Charlie Raglan so scores one of his own when he gets on, x) Kassam accidentally drops his wallet in the home goal mouth so that there is no room for MCFC so squeeze the ball into the goal.)

Sadly, the excitement of victory is shortlived and OUFC are thrown out fo the competition for fielding eleven loan players in the starting, er, eleven

Got a feeling come May we’ll be looking back at our season in two parts: before the City game and after. Turning point. A plucky loss that earns the players a warm round of applause from a sympathetic crowd come the final whistle, and a feeling of goodwill that will carry through to a win at Wimbledon on Saturday.

I think Whyte will put in a performance to make teams higher up the leagues sit up and take notice. The only player I can see causing them any problems.

I expect Foden to play and I’m looking forward to seeing him in action. Could be the #10 around which the England team is built for the next decade.
but they players dont like playing at home

Reckon we’ll do quite a lot better than most supporters expect.

I’m going for a 4-2 defeat.

Obika will score. Twice.

Muric (GK), DAnilo, Zinchenko, Kompany, Otamendi (DF), Foden, Diaz, Stones, Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus, Sane

If this is approximately the Man City side we face tomorrow, then best team we've played in a competitive game since......when?

My initial thought was Arsenal '03.....but there were some pretty mediocre players and non-entities in that team (Francis Jeffers, Sebastian Svard, Edu).

Leeds in '94?

Or is this such a good Manchester City squad, that you have to go all the way back to our First Division days?

Mitchell
Norman Nelson Mous Garbutt
Baptiste Ruffels
Whyte Henry Holmes
Obika

Don't think I've ever predicted us to lose on a thread before, but I'd really take anything less than a 5 goal loss. It's a shame we're in the state we are at the moment because I'd have loved to have seen a MApp team take on a big prem side. COYY

This is a free hit for us, and a chance to play against some seriously talented players. I’m not expecting a win, but if we could score a goal I’ll be delighted.

Muric (GK), DAnilo, Zinchenko, Kompany, Otamendi (DF), Foden, Diaz, Stones, Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus, Sane

If this is approximately the Man City side we face tomorrow, then best team we've played in a competitive game since......when?

My initial thought was Arsenal '03.....but there were some pretty mediocre players and non-entities in that team (Francis Jeffers, Sebastian Svard, Edu).

Leeds in '94?

Or is this such a good Manchester City squad, that you have to go all the way back to our First Division days?

I would say Chelsea in 1999:

De Goey; Terry, Duberry, Leboeuf, Le Saux; Petrescu, Di Matteo, Desailly, Babayaro; Zola, Vialli.

Not too shabby that line-up. And Mike Read as 12th man to boot...

De Goey; Terry, Duberry, Leboeuf, Le Saux; Petrescu, Di Matteo, Desailly, Babayaro; Zola, Vialli.

Wasn't that John Terry's debut, or first start or something?
I have hated LrBoeuf more than any other footballer ever for scoring that penalty

That was the start of the Mr K era.

Wasn't that John Terry's debut, or first start or something?
I have hated LrBoeuf more than any other footballer ever for scoring that penalty

Certainly one of Terry's first games. Dean Windass outwit Terry at that corner before heading it in the goal.

I'm going for a double figures loss. A real cricket score thrashing. The most embarrassing day in Oxford United history.

I'll still listen to it though.

Oh yes.....I must have blanked that one from my memory.

**** you, Mike Read! It might have been a dumb challenge to make, and he might have been a lanky git, but he took the ****ing ball!!!:mad:

Back
Top Bottom